Insuring your stuff - the most boring thread ever!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ok so I readily admit, this is going to be a dumb boring topic. But it's something I came across recently, and maybe it'll benefit someone on here.

So the wife and I have renters insurance...blah blah blah. It covers "replacement" value of everything, so if god forbid something happened, all our stuff (including my collection) would be paid at the price it would cost to obtain another one, not "depreciation" value, which on retro games is usually NOTHING.

I was redoing my insurance and asked the agent what the total insurable amount of my policy was. She told me, seemed a bit low, so I wanted to increase. She asked me what I was increasing for, and I said A) wife's engagement and wedding band B) some new furniture and C) more gaming shit.

So come to find out, if you have enough games to be considered a "collection" (it was something like 100 or more) as opposed to a "posession", than my policy only covered the first $2500 of what could be destroyed / stolen. After that maximum of $2500, I'd get nothing.

Needless to say, especially with the Neo Scene, that # would be less than my two most expensive AES carts.

They (State Farm) considered it a "collection", much in the same way a stamp or baseball card "collection" is not a possession. It's a specialized category that needs a "Rider" on the policy, much like my wives rings do.

Long story short : if you think your gaming collection is insured, ask your agent the specifics about a "collection" and what is covered. Some of you might find out that your in fact NOT COVERED, like I did, and can then purchase the rider (pain in the ass but worth it, you need to catalog your collection, with prices, some photos, and submit it) and make sure your protected.

That's it. Thought it might be useful...but I warned you...very boring topic!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
interesting, wish I had that when the dildo from Michigan visited.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
basically, check to make sure your insurance company doesn't have an out to fuck you over when it comes time to pay up! Cause they are famous for that crap

and everyone should have insurance! Had a friend who's place burn down...idiot neighbor somehow exploded a propane tank with a cigarette (they think it was leaking...it's Chicago...who knows?) and she was 100% uninsured. Lost everything...didn't get a penny. She just had the clothes on her back

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Great info! We have a great renters insurance policy with State Farm, but I'll specifically ask about a "collection". I have WAY more than 100 games, and a $2500 pay back would be super tragic should anything happen. Fuck, I have hundreds of records and blu rays too... Ughh.

How much was the rider?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Great info! We have a great renters insurance policy with State Farm, but I'll specifically ask about a "collection". I have WAY more than 100 games, and a $2500 pay back would be super tragic should anything happen. Fuck, I have hundreds of records and blu rays too... Ughh.

How much was the rider?

Like $20 a month I believe. As I add more, it'll adjust itself. But I am sure that price is 75% dependent upon location/etc (for theft, risk of neighborhood, etc) and luckily when we moved our insurance actually went down a bit for the new hood

Chef McM

n00b
This is incredibly good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had renter's insurance for years and thought it would cover my game collection, but I really should call an agent and double check on everything.

I am still curious about how the replacement value of games is calculated if they have limited availability.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This is incredibly good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had renter's insurance for years and thought it would cover my game collection, but I really should call an agent and double check on everything.

I am still curious about how the replacement value of games is calculated if they have limited availability.

I was told, via State Farm, that they average the last five sold when it comes to "collection" stuff. So you provide evidence (it would suck to have to do this. Would take an eternity!!!) of the last five sales of the same game in the same condition, and they give you the average. You just get cash...no guarantee you'll ever be able to repurchase the game

Glad people are getting some info off this. Seemed like such a random thread, but I figured if it helped even one person, it was worth it

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
the good thing on replacement value vs depreciation though is it accounts for increases in value for collections. So if you bought X game at X price, and years later it now cost an increase of Y, you are insured for the current market rate as opposed to the price you purchased for back in the day

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
This is something I really need to take care of, my collection has grown way out of control in recent years.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Is this just for renter's insurance?

I'll have to talk to my agent about my home owner's insurance policy. He's a friend who is aware of my gaming collection, so I figured he knows what kind of coverage I need.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Better off just selling your collection and playing the roms.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Do I even want to know what you mean or no? haha

I guess I could call him a douche bag. Some guy from Michigan I sold a GT 2k1 to on ebay came over to pick it up at my rental house. Guess he saw some other things he like also. I can only guess it was him, but "someone" came back and just stole all my AES, MVS, and stereo/theatre equipment, left everything else (tools, tv, cash) Was a noob, didn't really know about renters insurance and even if I had it I doubt I would have recouped much. But I'm not bitter at all...after 8yrs :very_ang:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I guess I could call him a douche bag. Some guy from Michigan I sold a GT 2k1 to on ebay came over to pick it up at my rental house. Guess he saw some other things he like also. I can only guess it was him, but "someone" came back and just stole all my AES, MVS, and stereo/theatre equipment, left everything else (tools, tv, cash) Was a noob, didn't really know about renters insurance and even if I had it I doubt I would have recouped much. But I'm not bitter at all...after 8yrs :very_ang:

Wtf??? Damn man...that's some bullshit. Yeah the few times I've done local pickup / drop off...I've always made sure to meet on the sidewalk, and make sure they left the hood before I went back inside. Guess I have the benefit of living in a 12 unit condo building, so even if they see me go in the front door, it's still a 1/12 chance of finding the right place

Still man...damn. That's harsh. I don't blame you for being bitter at all. Fuck that dude

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
this is really good info. I'll have to verify this "rider" stuff with my insurance company. Thanks for sharing

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Don't know how my policy compares to you guys over the pond. My insurance is due in a couple of months time so I will certainly have to check. Anyone in the UK have this kind of insurance?, would love to know some details.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
this is really good info. I'll have to verify this "rider" stuff with my insurance company. Thanks for sharing

No problem. It came as such of a surprise to me to find out I wasn't covered even though I had insurance, that I assumed other people would be in the dark too. I had no idea even though my posessions were covered, there was a cap of $2500.

Rule of thumb I learned dealing with insurance agent = anything of high value, ask about it. Don't assume your collection / one majorly expensive piece of art / vintage guitar / whatever you cherish is covered "correctly"...and insurance agents will help you. More riders you have on your policy = the more money you pay = the more commission the agent collects...so they will take their time to make sure you cover everything 100%, as it's just more $$$ for them

autobahn3000

Banned
Thanks, I will be checking into this soon!

My buddy takes pictures of all his valuables and gives the pictures to is Mother. So it something was stolen or his house burnt down he has everything archived.

I believe most of the pictures are of a his guns!!!

Chef McM

n00b
Good to know. Yeah, having to do this would be a nightmare for people whose collections run into the thousands of games. I really hope nobody here ever has to go through it.

I was told, via State Farm, that they average the last five sold when it comes to "collection" stuff. So you provide evidence (it would suck to have to do this. Would take an eternity!!!) of the last five sales of the same game in the same condition, and they give you the average. You just get cash...no guarantee you'll ever be able to repurchase the game

Glad people are getting some info off this. Seemed like such a random thread, but I figured if it helped even one person, it was worth it

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Good to know. Yeah, having to do this would be a nightmare for people whose collections run into the thousands of games. I really hope nobody here ever has to go through it.

Yeah I can only imagine. Going through my entire collection and cataloguing shit was not fun

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
If you are renting you absolutely should get renter's insurance. It's usually cheap and you can probably get it through the same company you have car insurance with. If you didn't build the place you live in (or even if you did) there's no telling what could go wrong, fires, floods, sinkholes, etc.

Too many times I've seen people's places go ablaze and be left with nothing but the clothes on their back and whatever they had in their pockets.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
If you are renting you absolutely should get renter's insurance. It's usually cheap and you can probably get it through the same company you have car insurance with. If you didn't build the place you live in (or even if you did) there's no telling what could go wrong, fires, floods, sinkholes, etc.

Too many times I've seen people's places go ablaze and be left with nothing but the clothes on their back and whatever they had in their pockets.

yep had the apt building i used to live in catch fire fortunately none of my stuff was damaged (my video game collection is worth about 10 grand) but the apt next to me was totaled