I fuckin suck

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
So anyway, today I got KOF 95 in the mail for the cd system, so I had no idea how it played. Having 2002/98 on AES, and 99/96 on cd, plus Neowave, I have been playing KOF for a while.

The AI in 95 seems way too predictable. For every move I use, it has a block or a counter. For the hell of it, I turned the game down to level 1, and even then well over 75% of every move I executed was blocked or completely countered.

So after an hour of play or so, I learned that you could spam the same 3 moves to exploit each characters weakness, which did suck but got me to see a bit more of the game itself.

All in all, the AI is cheaper than a $3 wool suit, but its definately fun still. My new #1 fav in the background department.

It should be fun actually learning how to play well and not just CHEAP

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So after an hour of play or so, I learned that you could spam the same 3 moves to exploit each characters weakness, which did suck but got me to see a bit more of the game itself.
That's how fighters usually were back then, so I didn't notice.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Yea, 95 definitely has some of the finest backgrounds of the series.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Jesus, I used to be able to finish KOF94 on level 4 with 2 credits, one getting to Rugal, and one to beat him. I just got there in a credit, and then tried about 15 times to beat him, and failed.

First round is easy, you either:

Walk to the far corner of the screen, jump back and kick until he's dead, eat a little damage.

Or you walk in, AB dodge, C throw, AB dodge, C throw, AB dodge, C throw until he's dead.

First round is a cakewalk. I perfected him a fair few times. I go into the round with 3 guys and full energy, and I just get fucking raped.

:crying: I need some tactics when he comes close as you can't really do fuck all, I know its good to charge and wait for him to do the same - then punish him, I just need that little push further for him to actually go down. :hammer:

Then maybe I can do the fucking game on 1 credit most times.

I couldn't believe my eyes at one point, using AOF team fighting the ikaris, I dizzied heidern, charge up briefly to top up my bar to maximum (for maybe 1 second), do my ryuko-ranbo move and it actually STALLS on my first frame (standard there with your arms crossed or close to body or whatever) for 2 seconds or so longer than normal, while he undizzies and blocks it. :oh_no:

I couldn't actually fucking believe that, it definitely wasn't slowdown, just pure rigged bullshit.

So, any tips for Rugal on the 2nd round?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbY8H3u3I1I&feature=channel_page

This video just makes it look simple,

on the first round, he uses the jump kick which I think is less effective than the dodge/throw method, but when I use that method it doesn't knock him down - does the aerial CD attack exist in KOF94 also? if so I never knew about it.

2nd round he just makes it look easy, and this is on level 8, I don't think I even saw Rugal get out a single genocide cutter whereas he did about 4000 on me just now.

Last edited:
cheap!!

stand back, :A::B: dodge and when he comes too close, :down::D:.

works best with a long crouch kick.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm just jumping too much, at the wrong time, because I've noticed all the howto videos they don't jump at all, therefore he never does his *fucking* genocide cutter.

Will try again tomorrow. :vik:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rugal is brutal in '94. I'm surprised you used to be able to do so well. Not just you, anyone.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The first round is easy, I find Rugal 95 is brutal, 94 is actually pretty fair. .. sometimes.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
This games a fuckin joke, you throw first round rugal near the start of the match, and it takes an inch off his energy bar. When he's got about 1/3rd left magically your throws take off about 5mm at the most. :oh_no:

Rigged

I still can't beat him consistently on the 2nd round either, about one in 10 tries and thats usually due to running out of time and me having more energy.

I have no fucking idea how the people on these videos make it look so easy because I'm doing practically the same thing and Rugal is beating the shit out of me, over and over.

:crying:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I played a few rounds this afternoon, and it just kept pissing me off.

Gonna start it up soon (girlfriend is out of town for weekend, so I have all the game time I want) and try to figure the fucker out

So far = Least favorite KOF w/ my favorite art style of them all

I still can't beat him consistently on the 2nd round either, about one in 10 tries and thats usually due to running out of time and me having more energy.

That´s how I win most of the time.

I watched the video you posted, that guy is a great robert player, but I bet he has the specials rigged since this is an emulation video.

and the AOF team is the easiest team to beat kof94, all good long range moves.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I played a few rounds this afternoon, and it just kept pissing me off.

Gonna start it up soon (girlfriend is out of town for weekend, so I have all the game time I want) and try to figure the fucker out

So far = Least favorite KOF w/ my favorite art style of them all

Sorry I'm actually back to playing KOF94 now :)

I agree actually it does seem like he's got the specials linked to buttons and preset already.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I think I have picked up on the 'rhythm' of 95 now that I have played it more. My timing was way off, considering I had spent a ton of time playing 2002/98

tony starks

Starks is always out.
Yep, yep I suck hardcore at KOF. Popped in 94 today and I got owned like a mother, practice, practice and more practice me thinks.

stand back, :A::B: dodge and when he comes too close, :down::D:.

works best with a long crouch kick.

I gave it a try this afternoon and it doesnt work anymore... I guess some minor detail has been forgotten

it works with standing :C:s though.

more range teh better.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this was the game that made me fall in love with KOF. The most beautiful backgrounds of the series and for me, the best intro as well.

But the shitty difficulty multiplied by the not so resposive controls (some of the specials are whack to pull of), easily made me love 96 (and up) more.

Still, the sprites are some of the best in the series.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Since posting when the thread was still 'alive' I have gotten alot better at 95, and its grown to be my 2nd favorite in the series (2002 is still tops, but perhaps due to the fact its the first AES cart I owned.

95 is a son of a bitch difficulty wise, but the music / backgrounds in the game are my #1 in the series

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Try out the Neo CD version if you can. The music is even more bonus. I originally played this game on my Playstation back in 96. It was my first KOF to play and the first Neo Geo port I ever bought as well. It did the job for me in those days.

I ended up getting a Neo CD in 97 and noticed how much better the sound effects are and the character sprites where bigger and better. The PS1 and Saturn versions AI is much easier than the Neo Geo.