How long has GameStop been offering extended warranties on cartridges/discs?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I popped in to the local GameStop yesterday and picked up a couple more NDS games. While my purchase was being rung up, the associate asked me if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for them ($3 for a one-year extension). I was surprised, as I've purchased 16 NDS games from that store since June of this year, but this was the first time that they ever offered, or even mentioned, that option to me.

So, I'm curious: Is this a new service, something they just do for the holidays, or have the employees just been negligent about saying anything about it to me until now?

I can understand getting a warranty extension for a console, as that's a fairly significant investment (indeed, while I was there, another guy came into the store who was experiencing problems with his PS4), but it seems odd to offer it on used games, which are relatively inexpensive. I don't think I've ever broken a cartridge, or had one break on me, in my entire life. Even the associate seemed to have difficulty justifying it to me. He was like, ". . . in case they ever get cracked or something."

So, no, I didn't pony up that extra three bucks, as it seemed like a waste in my eyes. If the NDS game cards were going to fall apart on me, I expect they'd do it before the normal 30-day warranty expires.

Last edited:

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
They've been pushing the game warranty deal for about the past 3-4 years or so. That's about when it really started and now it's pushed even more than system warranties. The employees get judged on reservations, Powerup Cards (10% used game card) and Gameplay Guarantees (GPGs), which are the game warranties. They all set percentages of what goals they want in each area to be hit. Usually, though during the holidays it isn't that important, so it isn't pushed as heavily as they only are looking to make profit and get you to purchase add-ons.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Since at least 2006. It's not something they usually push because, as far as I know, the employees don't get brownie points for selling them like they do for subscriptions / membership cards and pre-orders.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
They've been pushing the game warranty deal for about the past 3-4 years or so. That's about when it really started and now it's pushed even more than system warranties. The employees get judged on reservations, Powerup Cards (10% used game card) and Gameplay Guarantees (GPGs), which are the game warranties. They all set percentages of what goals they want in each area to be hit. Usually, though during the holidays it isn't that important, so it isn't pushed as heavily as they only are looking to make profit and get you to purchase add-ons.

Pretty much this.

I used to push them more on 360 games. I cant tell you how many ham-fisted retards would PULL the disc out if the case, which would make the disc bend and crack in the center. Once that happened, the game was useless as it would travel onto the readable are of the disc. If you were buying PSP games (UMD's are the worst fucking thing ever), or had kids that were handling the 360 discs, $3 saves a shit-ton of headaches later on.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Game warranties are LOL, but I loved the system warranty back in the day. Now, I generally don't buy them, but back when the PS1 was the current thing we all knew it was a POS, and my system died. Went to EB Games (pre GS buyout) and bought a used system for like $30 (new ones were still over $100.) Why yes, I'd LOVE to have the warranty for three bucks. A few months later the system died, I took it back, got another system, paid another $3 for a new warranty. A few months later, this process repeats. That third one actually lasted up until the PS2 came out.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
whaaa? My PS1 still works fine... after all these years...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I wanted to use mine after a decade aaaaaand ... dead.

My only PlayStation that still works reliably is my tiny PSX a friend picked up for me in Japan long after the PlayStation was dead. That little system is a tank, but being Japanese and non-modded and not wanting to mod it, means... I have like five total games that will play on it. Least I got my Japanese copies of Um Jammer and Jumping Flash ;)

fake

15 Year Member
Got my PS1 in '98 and it still works fine. Weird.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Pre-Merger EB Games had warranties for games that they pushed the hell out of. I remember being asked if I wanted warranties on used 3DO games I bought from them. :annoyed:

I was there up till 2009 and I don't recall game warranties being that big of a deal. System warranties yes but not warranties on individual titles. I've noticed them pushing it a lot more in the last few years so I'm guessing with physical copies being in its twilight years, they're looking at any and all ways they can skim some extra $$$ out of their customer base. :emb:

There needs to be more GS H8 up in here, we're overdue for a dead horse GS bashing thread. :p

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
There needs to be more GS H8 up in here, we're overdue for a dead horse GS bashing thread. :p

Eh, it's so passe these days. I got my pound of flesh from all the personal and sick time they had to pay me when I left.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Got my PS1 in '98 and it still works fine. Weird.

It was mostly the early models with the AV jacks and serial ports that were really shitty. They fixed it in later revisions. Still, they are easily fixed now, the problems were usually the lasers and you can pick them up cheap these days.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
In the words of Homer Simpson, "Extended warranty? How can I lose?"

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Huh, that's interesting. I guess they just never felt like trying to sell me the exta warranty until yesterday for some reason. I've had pretty good luck with GameStop wares over the years; to date, I've only ever had to return one non-working game (Shinobi for PS2). I've had to clean the contacts on most of the DS cards I've gotten from GameStop (although the two I bought yesterday were clean as a whistle), but that's it.

My PS1 still works too--or at least, theoretically it does. When I got my PS2, with its backwards compatibility, I packed the PS1 up and haven't touched it since. Like my Sega Game Gear, I suppose I could be in for an unpleasant surprise when, and if, I ever try to boot it up again after all these years.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
It was mostly the early models with the AV jacks and serial ports that were really shitty. They fixed it in later revisions. Still, they are easily fixed now, the problems were usually the lasers and you can pick them up cheap these days.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I remember they redesigned the laser and moved it from 1 O'clock to 3 O'clock.