How long do you think old gaming systems will last?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It says something that the one starting the topic is already using emulation. I think that's often the case with these topics. The ones sending out distress signals aren't even part of the crowd still playing on original hardware.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If you ever make it my way I can hook you up with a CRT.

Thanks! But i’m a long ways from KY. Worst case scenario I bet there a bunch on Craigslist here in MA...but this retrotink deal could be an easy fix once my tv dies.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Retrotink is dope. Also, it speaks volumes that someone starts a thread about old shit dying and it gets endless responses. Definite sign of the times.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Retrotink is dope.

The Retrotink and it's siblings like the Rad2x are awesome.

I think cartridge based systems will operate long into our twilight years if kept clean and dry. Replacing caps is a good idea at the 30 year mark, even if there isn't a problem they may be operating at less than desired spec which I would assume takes it's toll eventually.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It says something that the one starting the topic is already using emulation. I think that's often the case with these topics. The ones sending out distress signals aren't even part of the crowd still playing on original hardware.

It's not really that, its the convenience factor. I have my Pie hooked up to my main living room TV and it has a bluetooth controller...couldn't be more easy and accessible. My systems are elsewhere in the basement. Most times its just easier to play games on the Pie. On top of that, the Pie has a ton of arcade titles I don't have elsewhere, so there's that as well.

I'm just trying to decide if I should shed what I have left or not, it's really that simple.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm not doubting there is a issue with the first gen snes/sfc consoles. I'm just finding out now. I'm just saying I've owned a shit load of sfc/snes's in the last 15 years and those consoles worked on the dime. Still own the one chip I bought from Todd years ago.

Biggest issue with the SNES is the yellowing, not only does it make the system look even uglier but the plastic becomes very brittle.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's not really that, its the convenience factor. I have my Pie hooked up to my main living room TV and it has a bluetooth controller...couldn't be more easy and accessible. My systems are elsewhere in the basement. Most times its just easier to play games on the Pie. On top of that, the Pie has a ton of arcade titles I don't have elsewhere, so there's that as well.

I'm just trying to decide if I should shed what I have left or not, it's really that simple.
I think those two systems will last a really long time. May have to be recapped some day. It really comes down to whether you want to use them/have them around anymore. I think most people keep their consoles because they like having them and intend to continue using them in the future. It's that simple.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The Retrotink and it's siblings like the Rad2x are awesome.

I think cartridge based systems will operate long into our twilight years if kept clean and dry. Replacing caps is a good idea at the 30 year mark, even if there isn't a problem they may be operating at less than desired spec which I would assume takes it's toll eventually.

I need to post a pic in the purchase thread eventually but I bought a preassembled GBS Control and it's fucking awesome, to the point that me who never minded composite is disgusted by it now. I just wish it was easy to find lcd/led tvs with low input lag, because nothing beats CRTs in terms of picture response.

RGB scalers are kings.