How is Chaos Field?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I just picked this up over the weekend for the DC... any opinions before I put this bad boy to work?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Completely forgettable; music is alright, though.

Just play in Chaos mode the whole time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
about as forgettable as any shooter made after the millenium.

Tacitus

Staff member
Completely forgettable; music is alright, though.

Just play in Chaos mode the whole time.

That sucks. I read up on it and got pretty excited. Care to explain the modes a bit more in-depth?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That sucks. I read up on it and got pretty excited. Care to explain the modes a bit more in-depth?

I'm not an authority on this game, just wait for the inevitable Kiken post to lay everything out. It's been years since I played it.

It's just, you can just taste the Treasure-envy dripping from it, from the boss fests to the sword, but with hardly any creativity thrown in. The whole thing feels like a bland mess, like a doujin effort that somehow got the monies to make this kind of game.

It's not a terrible game, just a woefully mediocre one. But I guess that in itself is pretty terrible.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just picked this up over the weekend for the DC... any opinions before I put this bad boy to work?

vt, swallow pride

download DC games on torrent.

trust me. we are all blind men throwing darts at a board, lucky to hit anything. At least don't pay to throw.

Tacitus

Staff member
vt, swallow pride

download DC games on torrent.

trust me. we are all blind men throwing darts at a board, lucky to hit anything. At least don't pay to throw.
hahaha, you know, I was thinking the same thing tonight. I was looking at the damn thing and saying "You know, I could've grabbed this off TPB if I had thought of it...."

I'm going to grab border down now. I just found the torrent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
hahaha, you know, I was thinking the same thing tonight. I was looking at the damn thing and saying "You know, I could've grabbed this off TPB if I had thought of it...."

while you're at it DL Karaus, it was the only one of the posthostumous games that I liked.

thamasha69

n00b
I have this on GC...ironically I got it for free from the local gamestore since it was "zeroed" out in their system...there must be a reason for that :) I was excited for the game, but as others have noted, it is just bland...I love and appreciate boss battles in shooters, but having a whole game dedicated to that...and just...lacking intensity and emotion...it just doesn't work. I never felt excitement or nervousness or the need to focus my actions.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Since I wouldn't want to disappoint LoneSage... ;)

Chaos Field is a bit weird. I really like what MileStone were trying to accomplish with the game (chaining bullets, environmental shifting), but it just seems that the ideas didn't work very well together.

The whole system revolves around intelligent use of the two environmental polarities: Order Field and Chaos Field (so this a bit like ESPGaluda's Kakusei system in that you're changing the entire environment and how enemies react). Also worth noting is that every time you shift you're invincible for a couple of seconds. In Order Field, destroying enemy targets nets you loads of Meta Cubes (for each 10 collected, you are granted a Special Weapon usage, of which 10 total can be stored at any one time), but fewer shots are fired at you (chaining bullets and target destruction is what raises your multiplier). In Chaos Field, the opposite applies.. destroyed targets release fewer Meta Cubes but the number of projectiles increases significantly. Between bosses your multiplier is paused (it's on a timer much like in Dodonpachi, the horizontal yellow bar in the upper right of the screen is the timer.. which has at max, a 5 second interval). Because of the pauses between bosses, it's possible to chain an entire stage.

So the gist here is, start in Order Field, build up your Special Weapon stock (the Wing Layer and the Lock-On Web are the two Special Weapons) while doing some basic chaining and then switch into Chaos Field to abuse the crap out of your special weapons. Wash, rinse, repeat. The biggest problem I have is that it's wall-to-wall boss milking... however, with the time-based bullet chaining, it makes more sense for the game to be a boss rush. Also, the closer the stage boss timer is to zero when killed (without going below that), the higher the end-stage bonus. Again, a weird system and I would strongly recommend watching at least the level 1 replay by VTF-INO (hosted on www.super-play.co.uk) just to get a clear idea of how the system works and should be used.

As stated, the soundtrack is definitely worth picking up.

When it comes to MileStone's stuff, I'd prefer to play Radirgy and Karous (I haven't had a chance to try out IllVelo yet). Both games are far more kinetic and feature a more traditional level layout (they're very much in line with Takumi's games).

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

BD is actually worth owning, awesome game. Hori shmups FTW!

Chaos field is an admirable attempt but ultimately a pretty shitty outcome.

Also check out Under Defeat that along with Ikaruga and BD are easily the best shmups on the DC.

Trigger Heart Excellica is also not so bad you can DL or just get it off XBL.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Trigger Heart Excellica is also not so bad you can DL or just get it off XBL.

THE on XBLA is a different game (much like the XBLA version of Ikaruga): the game uses the Naomi/DC-Arcade setting's enemy layout and ranking system, but mixes in the scoring from the DC-Arrange mode. So it' s a weird hybrid.