Help...my Big Red cab is dead.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
It was on...then poof...nothing on the monitor. The monitor appears fine as does the power supply.

I'm going to remove it from the cab this weekend. However, I don't have a way to test it and have fuck all experience with repairs on a MVS motherboard.

I need someone with a test rig that can check this thing out for me.:help: There's $$$.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Test the +5v line and Ground line at the Jamma edge connector with a multi-meter.

See if you're board is getting +5.00.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
do you hear game sound at least? does the neck of the crt glow if you look at the back of the monitor with the power on?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
When mine did it, my power supply went out... Monitor still came on but nothing else did.

Good advice in here, grab a multimeter and check for voltage first.

Make sure jamma harness hasn't wiggled loose, and one time one of the push on lugs came off of my power switch and made me think something serious had happened.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Everything powers up...all the lights, CRT, coin slots, etc..

No sound.

The CRT neck glows. I replaced the chassis several years ago, back when the flyback went out....just swapped the whole damn thing.

Tonight I pulled the 4-slot out and split it. Everything looks fine with the exception of the LS05 chip on the bottom board. There's some corrosion on the pins. The battery looks OK, so I suspect that maybe a previous battery leaked before I got the cab and now a problem is just starting to show up. The caps look fine, but a couple look like the plastic wrap has shrunk or ridden up on the cap.

Fairly certain, I'm going to need a more knowledgeable person to actually take a look at this mobo.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
certainly sounds like a board issue although i'd expect some sort of attempt at booting

how's your voltage 1) at the harness 2) tested on a chip away from the edge connector?

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
If we're getting 5v at the jamma edge we will be able to make a little better opinion. Let us know