Great movies that are easily missed

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
28 days later.

However, if you wait 6 months until we're all shooting half tested vaccines you might get to live it.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I saw a great movie last night. Total Classic.
I can't remember what it was called.
It was about this newspaper tycoon and he was dead and everybody was telling stories about him.
Orson Welles was in it.

Probably tongue in cheek.

But yeah Citizen Kane is a classic. ;)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I got a really good one I thought of that likely slipped by, almost forgot to post about it...

The Art of Self-Defense - 2019

Think of a Cobra Kai dojo with a John Kreese (Martin Kove) figure and the whole "Mercy is for the weak!" mentality... Take that concept, play with it to further extremes with tips from Quentin Tarantino and THIS is what you get!

It sucks even slightly describing the plot because the pay-off was so great, the trailer gives away too much perhaps as well... I went into it with a blank slate, just because of Jesse Eisenberg, and a basic tag was enough: some guy got beat up who wants to learn martial arts to defend himself. Starts slow, boring almost, but they put a hell of a twist in this, that's for sure!

HIGHLY recommended!

It's f*cking "woah" great by the end!

Best movie of 2019, imo.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
My Recommendations:

D.O.A. (Dir. Takashi Miike) Starts out as a fast paced story about gangster gone rogue and a police officer in Japan. By the end of the film, you will mutter"WTF".

The Salton Sea: Great Val Kilmer film. Jazz musician mourns the loss of his wife and gets into Crystal Meth.

Brazil: I wish they would show this film in grade school as a way to show kids the bureaucracy that they'll face later in life. I own this film in damn near every format (including Laserdisc).

Le Samourai: French film with moments of minimal dialog. Great story, script, acting, soundtrack and really set things up for future films of the genre.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai: If you watch Le Samourai, follow it up with this one. In a way, it's a love letter to Le Samourai with a modern twist.

My Blue Heaven: A Steve Martin film that I relate to since moving away from the city and settled in a quiet place. I will still laugh my ass off whenever I watch it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Thing prequel is a piece of shit. Especially once to learn how they filmed all the practical effects and the studio cut them and replaced them with horrible cgi.

In a Valley of Violence- Much like John Wick, you never fuck with a lone dangerous mans dog. Except it's a western.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Best movie of 2019, imo.

It really caught me by surprise in the 2nd half, I'll say that! I didn't think to go as far as a "best of" award, but I can see why you would've liked it that much. What a hell of a sensei, like WTF just happened ?? Yeah, that really just happened!

It sure beats that crummy TWZ-esque Vivarium (2020) he [Jesse Eisenberg] recently did. It had my attention but it's just a weird/inconclusive/cheap Twilight Zone episode in the end. I guess
Spoiler:
"nobody escapes"
was the moral...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
My Recommendations:

D.O.A. (Dir. Takashi Miike) Starts out as a fast paced story about gangster gone rogue and a police officer in Japan. By the end of the film, you will mutter"WTF".

D.O.A. goes some places. Strange, strange places.

The Thing prequel is a piece of shit. Especially once to learn how they filmed all the practical effects and the studio cut them and replaced them with horrible cgi.

Fuck the prequel in the face. Throw your glass of J+B in the face of anyone who says otherwise.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The Thing prequel is good. I liked it.