Genesis Collectors and RPG Fans Rejoice...

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
I just received word that Super Fighter Team's new Genesis RPG (first release on the system since 98) Beggar Prince is now shipping. They are asking a reasonable price and the game looks fantastic. I'm sure supplies wont last for very long so I already ordered my copy, as did a friend, and it should arrive in the week so I'll post my impressions in the near future.

Anyone looking for an obscure addition to their collection, or a literally new Genesis game, check out the project at http://www.beggarprince.com.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
it's called megadrive

why a thread about a megadrive game is here in the game play section ?

homebrew games are always fake shit and as such should be ignored by the fans

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Fran said:
That's funny. I would like to see you release a well polished game. In general, you probably don't have the slightest clue how games work :shame:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Meh, the game looks alright. Although the game art looks like crap.

art1.jpg

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Piratero said:
That's funny. I would like to see you release a well polished game. In general, you probably don't have the slightest clue how games work :shame:

ah yes,i'm not a programmer so i can't say that all homebrew games are fake shit ?

enjoy your crappy american rpg for the "genesis"

maybe you don't even know tons of real good rpgs like surging aura,lord monarch,langrisser,ragnacenty,blue almanac,etc

oh well

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Fran said:
enjoy your crappy american rpg for the "genesis"

nitpick - it's not a true "American" RPG since the game was originally released in Taiwan or some other part of Asia, it was just translated and released in English.

Fran, I know you're a purist who wants to use the Japanese name, but people in the US do know the system as the Genesis, so...

and by the way, shapermc ripped into the game pretty bad. Apparently if you use a CDX system you're not allowed to save game progress, and he couldn't even find a way to get out of the first town anyway. GG.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Fran said:
it's called megadrive

why a thread about a megadrive game is here in the game play section ?

Sorry for not responding sooner but I dont check this part of the forum often. Hate to burst your pompous bubble Fran, but the game is compatible with both the Megadrive and the Genesis. I do know the difference between UK, Asian, and US consoles, I'm sorry you felt the need to insinuate before looking into the project I listed sooner. The game is an ENGLISH TRANSLATION of a game released in Taiwan in 1998, to a very warm reception. The game is NOT a homebrew game, just a localization. Anyway, I recieved my copy several weeks ago and enjoy it thoroughly, as I'm sure most who have obtained their copies feel the same.

Oh, and my apologies for posting this in the game play section, though you seem to be the only one who minds, and someone has already been interested enough in my contribution to order the game for themself.

Anyway, cheer up, it's easier to grumble, whine, and assume than to look into things yourself I know, but sometimes it can prove to be worthwhile.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
be it an ancient game re-released after the system is dead....for a genny game, that looks bad ass...dont have an extra $46 right now though....what RPG would you compare the style/feel to?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd like to see pics of the box art and the cart.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
No problem Ki Atsushi

BP.jpg

bpcart.jpg

Shitty first thing in the morning cell phone pics, forgive the quality.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
DeadPixels said:
No problem Ki Atsushi

BP.jpg

bpcart.jpg

Shitty first thing in the morning cell phone pics, forgive the quality.

Hmm... I don't like the artwork, but I still want to give this game a try.

BTW, the condom wrapper on the desk was a nice touch. :emb:

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
lol! My bad there. That's not a condom wrapper though, it's a lens cleaner wrapper heh.

Yeah, the artwork is shite. Reminds me a lot of some early 90's Genny games though, like Landstalker and Crusader of Centy, so I can deal.

Cobb, the president of SFT, said they had to use the placeholder art because while they had CE's permission to localize the game , the art still belonged to the original artist who they couldnt get permission from.

Anyway, glad you're interested. Hope you check the game out.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
DeadPixels said:
lol! My bad there. That's not a condom wrapper though, it's a lens cleaner wrapper heh.

Yeah, the artwork is shite. Reminds me a lot of some early 90's Genny games though, like Landstalker and Crusader of Centy, so I can deal.

Cobb, the president of SFT, said they had to use the placeholder art because while they had CE's permission to localize the game , the art still belonged to the original artist who they couldnt get permission from.

Anyway, glad you're interested. Hope you check the game out.

I just thought you were pimpin' in the early morning. :tickled:

On topic, they should have hired someone to do some professional art.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
ki_atsushi said:
I just thought you were pimpin' in the early morning. :tickled:

On topic, they should have hired someone to do some professional art.

:lolz: Sadly the only pimping that occured was probably my fiancee cleaning the screen of her DS. Oh well, the day is still young!

On topic, I totally agree about the artwork. I think what kills it the most though is the way the sky is completely photoshopped into the picture so it stands out like crazy. From what I understand, they had a professional lined up but the game suffered a few delays and those who preordered the game were getting agitated, so to get the game out on time he had to settle with some local tattoo artist or something to get the art done in a snap.

On the bright side though, the game comes with a completely new, non-recycled, plastic case with the grid pattern found on Genesis games, and a slick, 27 page color manual. Not many games lately even have interesting manuals.

So, down with hideous artwork, but I'm all for a complete package. SFT could have shipped the game Yaton style in pizza boxes, so I think we made out well :lolz:

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
Nobody ever hopped back to tell us how the game was? I still wanna know!

Stifu

Kabuki Klasher
I preordered the game back then, and beat it recently...
It's an alright game, but literally filled with bugs. Also, the game is simplistic: there's only one playable character, the story is cliché, there is no money system (you just trade stuff from time to time, and find new equipment), and so on...
The game is okay, but you'd better not expect something along the lines of Landstalker, Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) or Soleil (Crusader of Centy).

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Stifu said:
It's an alright game, but literally filled with bugs.
That's the impression I got, too. I very seriously considered buying it but decided to spend my money on Lunar: Dragon Song instead ... been real happy with that decision so far.