Geese Howard strats for CvS2?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'm wanting to start playing with Geese more and more in CvS2, but I really don't seem to be able to form a solid foundation. Anyone got any suggestions? He seems like he has so much potential...

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I have none.

Why'd you leave so quick the last time you were kicking my ass? Was my shitty connection lagging you up as well?

I need to get better at this game, I dunno what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Yeah, I bailed because of the lag and it was kinda late. My GF was getting restless.

Pussy > Fighting game competition.

We'll have to battle again sometime.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Loopz said:
I'm wanting to start playing with Geese more and more in CvS2, but I really don't seem to be able to form a solid foundation. Anyone got any suggestions? He seems like he has so much potential...

Oddly enough, in this thread by Despair, there seems to be quite a bit of help for learning Geese strats in CVS2. (As well as some Owning of Despair, which admittedly is always somewhat entertaining.)

I hope SonGohan finds this thread soon, because I'd like to see if he had any other gameplay suggestions with Geese. He's seems to be an excellent resourse for this game.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
KagerouSama said:
Oddly enough, in this thread by Despair, there seems to be quite a bit of help for learning Geese strats in CVS2. (As well as some Owning of Despair, which admittedly is always somewhat entertaining.)

I hope SonGohan finds this thread soon, because I'd like to see if he had any other gameplay suggestions with Geese. He's seems to be an excellent resourse for this game.

It's better to wait for SonGohan, Despairs Geese strats aren't that good, you'd just get murdered if you used him the way his starts say to use him.

Use him in P or K groove, those are his 2 best, if you can Parry better than you Just Defend, use P Groove since you can go on the attack right after the Parry. He's best at close to mid range, don't depend on his projectiles, and don't use him as a defensive character, almost everyone I've seen uses him as a defensive charatcre, and they get ass raped. Go on the offensive and mnix in some defensive tactics, use short hops with a MK or a WK. Um, Raiging Storm is a great anti air(only a retard wouldn't know this) and well, I haven't used Geese in a long time, so don't listen to me, wait for Son Gohan.

Last edited:

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
his c.FP is his best anti-air. His s.HK is pretty good, because you have enough timing to block - so after that you can do a low counter for the first time - they'll probably try to sweep.

some combos -

Jump in attack, c. lp, c. hp (or s. hp) XX hcb+lk

Jump in attack, c. lp, c. hp XX Deadly Rave then end with c. lp, c.hp XX hcb+lk

c.lp x3 (or 2), c. hk XX single reppuken

that third combo is his safe one, so if you cross up with a mk and they block instead of doing another combo - it also does lots of guard dmg.

I'm gonna go against what Giby says - and say that K and N are his best grooves. K for the reasons like JD, counters build meter, rage etc. N is because you can RC, you can pull off a super whenever you want (ie not the raged time period), if you break a stock you get 20%(i think thats it) more guard dmg (as well as normal dmg) so his guard crush strings get even better, so you can do that into Deadly Rave. (if he blocks all cross ups/jump ins)

Geese is lots of fun - i've been thinking of putting him in my team.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I don't see how roll canceling can benifit Geese, if its only for his supers, then it's not really useful, and on top of that, I think Loopz is playing on the XB version, which has no RC in it. N is a good Groove for him to use, the extra boost of power he gets from the power up is very usefull, but iirc, you get more of a boost in K Groove.

The reasong I say P is better than K is because you don't recover from a Just Defend as fast as you do a Parry. The small boost of life that you get from a JD is good, but you have the normal gaurd recovery time to it, but when you Parry, you can go on the attack before your opponent recovers from the attack he/she just did.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
P and K Geese are always debated, but I think imo that K Groove Geese is better than P Groove Geese in the arcade, and on XBL P is better than K, if only because of the super cancel. If you're able to land a jump in attack, they can be prepared to eat over 11k damage from cancelling the last hit of a Jai Ei Ken into a level 3 Raging Storm. You could always go substitute the Deadly Rave instead, and cancel right before the last hit of the Jai Ei Ken, and instead of finishing off with the qcb+hp, you can just hp xx mp version Jai Ei Ken. It'll dizzy, and then it sets up for another bnb Geese combo.

That's why you'd want to use P online. That super canceling is just wrong on so many levels. K is still good because his counters add to his meter, and give big chunks. He has great poke strings and a godly cross up (jump mk) that it's almost illegal to not use it. When Geese is raged, you can almost guarantee a guard crush and a deadly rave followup.

I still think N is his best all-around groove, though. Best anti-air is his crouching FP. Great to pull out whenever you think a person is baiting a counter. Just watch out for jump in parry/jd, but then again you could always bait those and then it becomes one big mindfuck game. He has his run, his guard-cancels, max mode which benefits his poke strings + extra damage, small jumps (love that crossup mk), and safe falls.

I only use two bnb combos, which are:

c.lp x3, c.hk, xx repukken
Crossup mk, c.lp, c.lk, c.mk, xx repukken/deadly rave (use this one the most)

You can't really give strats on counters, other than to read your opponent as well as possible. High counters take out jump ins, specials, and supers (non-grab/fireball). Almost always opt for his crouching FP to hit people out of the air. His standing HK is ok, but hard to time, especially if your opponent is mixing things up.

Geese has a hard time with people who have really fast jumps/small jumps, like Mai and Blanka (at least for me). Fucking bastards. :blow_top:

X

Y,
SonGohan said:
P and K Geese are always debated, but I think imo that K Groove Geese is better than P Groove Geese in the arcade, and on XBL P is better than K, if only because of the super cancel. If you're able to land a jump in attack, they can be prepared to eat over 11k damage from cancelling the last hit of a Jai Ei Ken into a level 3 Raging Storm. You could always go substitute the Deadly Rave instead, and cancel right before the last hit of the Jai Ei Ken, and instead of finishing off with the qcb+hp, you can just hp xx mp version Jai Ei Ken. It'll dizzy, and then it sets up for another bnb Geese combo.

That's why you'd want to use P online. That super canceling is just wrong on so many levels. K is still good because his counters add to his meter, and give big chunks. He has great poke strings and a godly cross up (jump mk) that it's almost illegal to not use it. When Geese is raged, you can almost guarantee a guard crush and a deadly rave followup.

I still think N is his best all-around groove, though. Best anti-air is his crouching FP. Great to pull out whenever you think a person is baiting a counter. Just watch out for jump in parry/jd, but then again you could always bait those and then it becomes one big mindfuck game. He has his run, his guard-cancels, max mode which benefits his poke strings + extra damage, small jumps (love that crossup mk), and safe falls.

I only use two bnb combos, which are:

c.lp x3, c.hk, xx repukken
Crossup mk, c.lp, c.lk, c.mk, xx repukken/deadly rave (use this one the most)

You can't really give strats on counters, other than to read your opponent as well as possible. High counters take out jump ins, specials, and supers (non-grab/fireball). Almost always opt for his crouching FP to hit people out of the air. His standing HK is ok, but hard to time, especially if your opponent is mixing things up.

Geese has a hard time with people who have really fast jumps/small jumps, like Mai and Blanka (at least for me). Fucking bastards. :blow_top:

LOL I just play like if it was SF2 and just play.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Can't play Geese like it was SF2 though :( You can play him a little like FFS, though.

X

Y,
SonGohan said:
Can't play Geese like it was SF2 though :( You can play him a little like FFS, though.

Hey get on Aim. So we can set up some ematches with some odd restriction LOL. Such as only P groove use.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
How about we do EX Groove with NOTHING in it? That would be very fun. Getting on AIM now..

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Whoa, EX groove with nothing in it sounds like it would be really fun.
May have to try that.