Gargoyle's Quest....mmmm

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Recently I went to the VGXPO (aka PhillyClassic). While I was there I bought a bunch of cheap gameboy games and a gameboy pocket. I still love this game. I originally played it back in 1990 so it's been a long time. Great music, great level design and just pure fun.

Anybody else remember this game?

I also picked up these gameboy games: Castlevania 2, Operation C, Super Mario Land 2, Double Dragon 2, Marble Madness. For some reason I like playing Gragoyle's Quest and other gameboy games on the gameboy pocket as opposed to the gameboy color. Maybe because that's how I played them originally, but Gargoyle's Quest looks nice in monochrome.

And is it just me, or does the gameboy pocket have a louder speaker than the gameboy color?

Oh well, bottom line-gameboy still rocks after all these years. And I do recommend getting Kirby's tilt and Tumble if you have access to a gameboy color or the original gba (not the sp model). It only works if the cartridge slot is on the top of the system, not the bottom like on the sp. I know it looks like a kids game, but it's really fun.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Jack Burton said:
And I do recommend getting Kirby's tilt and Tumble if you have access to a gameboy color or the original gba (not the sp model). It only works if the cartridge slot is on the top of the system, not the bottom like on the sp. I know it looks like a kids game, but it's really fun.

There's no such thing as a bad Kirby for a Game Boy.
Check out Dream Land 2, Block Ball and Pinball Land -- all are ace. I heavily suggest you try and find them, especially the first two (classic platformer and I've got a thing for awesome Arkanoid clones).

About Gargoyle's Quest, yeah, only played the NES game so I can't comment.

But Castlevania 2 rocks out with its cock out. To think that music coming from a Game Boy is just radical :cool:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
LoneSage said:
About Gargoyle's Quest, yeah, only played the NES game so I can't comment.

I've played the nes version and it doesn't compare. Your character controls very sluggishly in the nes version. The gameboy version is just much smoother (gameplay) and has a darker feel (probably because of the monochrome graphics).

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Gargoyle's Quest on the Gameboy was hands down my favorite game on that system.

The final boss was so damn cool.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Jack Burton said:
I've played the nes version and it doesn't compare. Your character controls very sluggishly in the nes version. The gameboy version is just much smoother (gameplay) and has a darker feel (probably because of the monochrome graphics).

i second this.

I still pop the game in and play it regularly. One of my fondest memories of playing my OG gameboy.

Now I am feeling the need to get some old GB Color stuff.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
pixeljunkie said:
i second this.

I still pop the game in and play it regularly. One of my fondest memories of playing my OG gameboy.

Now I am feeling the need to get some old GB Color stuff.

Yep, that's what happened to me. I got the bug and am having a great time.