Free MCBOOT 1.09 - How do you get installed with swap magic?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
First if anyone has this version working I would love to just send you a memory card, and compensate you for your time to just copy this for me. This shit is infuriating me.

WHAT I AM USING:

Fat PS2 SPCH 39001
Magic Slide (Swap Magic 3.6)
PS2 memory card (formatted)
200 GB HDD.
FREE MCBOOT NOOBILE VERSION 1.09 (JAN 2016)

There are no tutorials that I can find that work. They all state that this can be done with swap magic 3.6, but none say which CD to use. There is a CD and DVD included. Furthermore, everyone mentions files I do not have, because I have the newest version, everyone just assumes you are upgrading.

My PS2 does have an old version of HD loader installed. Probably close to, or more than 10 years old. I was hoping this would upgrade it, and allow me to keep my stuff on the HDD. Not sure if this is even an earlier version of FREE MCBOOT.

Basically I extract this NOOBILE version to the root of my USB. Make a folder called "SWAPMAGIC" and rename "some file" to "SWAPMAGIC.ELF" (I feel like i've tried them all). And magically this is suppose to work.

Keeps haging on the swapmagic screen after trying about 10 different install types. Here is what my root USB directory looks like.

Again, not sure exactly what files I need to change. Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ROOT:

SWAPMAGIC (folder)

in swap magic folder.

==> Folders
INSTALL
lang
licenses
SWAPMAGIC.ELF (this is a file, not a folder)

===> IN THE INSTALL FOLDER

FOLDERS:

APPS
APPS-HDD
BOOT
SYS-CONF
SYSTEM

==> IN THE BOOT FOLDER (files)
BOOT.ELF
BOOT.ICN
ESRGUI.ELF
ICON.SYS
OPL.ELF
SMS.ELF

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Try placing the BOOT.ELF file in the INSTALL folder, not in a further sub folder.
Your FREEMCBOOT.ELF file should be renamed SWAPMAGIC.ELF

Haven't done this in years, but something to try...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you send me a memory card I can do it. Just cover postage both ways. Shoot me a PM.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The limitation for that is the speed of the USB 1 ports on the PS2 I believe. Can't do much when you're capped at 12 megabits per second.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
All right, I may just buy one off eBay. They're like $10.00 shipped. Seems easier than sending my card to someone. Might as well spend $4.00 more and get another memory card.

To those of you that have it working. Can free mcboot rip games directly to the hdd? My current hd loader has this option, but it never works. Trying to figure out if I need to start backing up my collection now, or later.

Is imgburn still the defacto?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
All right, I may just buy one off eBay. They're like $10.00 shipped. Seems easier than sending my card to someone. Might as well spend $4.00 more and get another memory card.

To those of you that have it working. Can free mcboot rip games directly to the hdd? My current hd loader has this option, but it never works. Trying to figure out if I need to start backing up my collection now, or later.

When I had free mcboot, it just installed HDloader for you automatically and all the backing up was done through that. I backed games up using the install feature and also used an HD caddy and WinHiip to transfer games to it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, it can rip to the hard drive but it is an agonizingly slow process. It takes about an hour for a DVD sized game. Personally what I do is I take the hard drive out of the PS2 and connect it to the PC with a USB HDD enclosure and rip the game directly to the hard drive. Takes like 10 minutes. I forget the exact name of the program, but some googling makes me think it was HDL Dumb or WinHiip, can't remember which. You can do it over the network too if your PS2 is plugged in.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yes, it can rip to the hard drive but it is an agonizingly slow process. It takes about an hour for a DVD sized game. Personally what I do is I take the hard drive out of the PS2 and connect it to the PC with a USB HDD enclosure and rip the game directly to the hard drive. Takes like 10 minutes. I forget the exact name of the program, but some googling makes me think it was HDL Dumb or WinHiip, can't remember which. You can do it over the network too if your PS2 is plugged in.

Doing it over a network takes fucking forever. It's the slowest of the three methods.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

usb hdd enclosure. didn't know that was a thing. Thanks for the info fellas.

skate323k137

10 Year Member

If you'd rather go that route I should have an extra I can sell you at the going rate.

winhiip is awesome and by far the fastest method. Remove hdd, hook up with USB adapter or whatever, install games.

HDLdumb/hdldump is OK for loading isos over a network, but quite slow.

Yes you can rip using HDloader but AFAIK only original discs, not burns.

What I did was back up my own ISOs by ripping them to my PC, and used winhiip to install everything. SKSapps is down right now, but I have a copy of winhiip stashed if you need it.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If you'd rather go that route I should have an extra I can sell you at the going rate.

winhiip is awesome and by far the fastest method. Remove hdd, hook up with USB adapter or whatever, install games.

What I did was back up my own ISOs by ripping them to my PC, and used winhiip to install everything. SKSapps is down right now, but I have a copy of winhiip stashed if you need it.

That would be great man. Pm me you PayPal. If the winhiip is hard to find, I'll take one too.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

You actually can rip burns and Imports using a legit high TOC PS2 game and them then swapping it out before the final step of the install process. You need a swap top to do so.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
You actually can rip burns and Imports using a legit high TOC PS2 game and them then swapping it out before the final step of the install process. You need a swap top to do so.

Interesting to know, but at that point I'd just dump the burn to an ISO on my PC and install it with winhiip or hdldump