FLAC users, where do you get your stashes?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im a spotify user, so I dont do/care about flac, but my brother in law claims hes an audiophile (all he does is put the levels to max on all his 'equipment') and wants me to download a bunch of shit for him. He lives in the sticks, so his 3mbit innanet isn't gonna cut it.

I found some stuff on Soulseek but everyone there is all butthurt that Im not sharing anything (funny when pirates get pissed off at pirates for being pirates and pirating). Also have a Mega account and found some stuff there.

I dont mind Torrents because I can just let my NAS/Transmission do it's thing and forget about it for a while. But I dont really want/need trackers that require you to seed (see the pirates comment above).

Anyway, if you got some decent ways to find this shit, let me know.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Redacted.ch. It's the successor to What.cd.

Good luck getting an invite though.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Have you considered…actually paying for the shit?

If you just want FLACs of CDs, that’s easy. If you want 24bit 96khz you’ll need to head to an actual website and buy the shit like an actual music fan.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
This and buying digitally from the artist.

There are places like Fygee posted but they're a pain in the ass.

From the sound of it though you could probably just take a bunch of MP3s and convert them to FLAC, he'd never know the difference.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Have you considered…actually paying for the shit?

If you just want FLACs of CDs, that’s easy. If you want 24bit 96khz you’ll need to head to an actual website and buy the shit like an actual music fan.

I use spotify. I dont need the stuff. Im downloading for my bro in law. I honestly cant tell the difference between flac and 320k mp3s. But that's me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This and buying digitally from the artist.

There are places like Fygee posted but they're a pain in the ass.

From the sound of it though you could probably just take a bunch of MP3s and convert them to FLAC, he'd never know the difference.
lol you're probably right

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Redacted.ch. It's the successor to What.cd.

Good luck getting an invite though.
You said invite, so that's a definite pass. I did look up what is needed for an invite - and they have an interview process. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pirates trying to weed out pirates. What a world.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Bandcamp :3
I typically use Bandcamp for local artists I know, and even then just get MP3s, and not physical media.

But 99.9% of the shit my bro in law is asking for is either stuff by dead artists (Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc) or is supremely rich (rolling stones, Journey, Elton John) and wont suffer from some Napsterin'.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
You said invite, so that's a definite pass. I did look up what is needed for an invite - and they have an interview process. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep the riff raff out and lowers the risk of bum accounts from ISPs and others from tracking traffic.

A lot of effort to get your foot in the door, but worth it if you're a FLAC-a-holic.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Keep the riff raff out and lowers the risk of bum accounts from ISPs and others from tracking traffic.

A lot of effort to get your foot in the door, but worth it if you're a FLAC-a-holic.
I s'pose that makes sense. I wouldn't think it's worth the trouble to fill a 256gb SD card for him. I would totally do the mp3 to flac thing just to fuck with him lol but that would involve work on my end.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I use spotify. I dont need the stuff. Im downloading for my bro in law. I honestly cant tell the difference between flac and 320k mp3s. But that's me.

There probably isn’t a noticeable difference if they come from CD because all CDs are 16-bit 44.1khz. FLAC, ALAC, and DSD will be the same if made from CD quality sources, the 320kbs MP3 would have minimal high frequency rolloff and probably just throwing bits at nothing and wasting space. No matter what you compress it to the original file/CD as as good as it gets. You can’t make a CD into a SACD.

In order to make any use of high resolution formats they need to actually be high resolution, as does the entire playback chain, every aspect of it, analog and digital. And of course that means the recording has to be remastered for this purpose.

IMO high res audio is worth it for specific recordings in specific circumstances. The 24-bit version of ELP’s Trilogy for example, with dedicated listening, is fantastic. It’s completely useless for listening to Armand Van Helden in the car, or earbuds, laptop speakers, etc…it’s useless to most listeners, in other words. But if your brother in law has a great stereo or at least great headphones and player, he would benefit from the real ish.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year

fuck that shit I agree, use rutracker if you are ok to torrent, no invite needed, all you need is there in a bunch of formats including FLAC, just translate the webpage so you understand what it says

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
There probably isn’t a noticeable difference if they come from CD because all CDs are 16-bit 44.1khz. FLAC, ALAC, and DSD will be the same if made from CD quality sources, the 320kbs MP3 would have minimal high frequency rolloff and probably just throwing bits at nothing and wasting space. No matter what you compress it to the original file/CD as as good as it gets. You can make a CD into a SACD.

In order to make any use of high resolution formats they need to actually be high resolution, as does the entire playback chain, every aspect of it, analog and digital. And of course that means the recording has to be remastered for this purpose.

IMO high res audio is worth it for specific recordings in specific circumstances. The 24-bit version of ELP’s Trilogy for example, with dedicated listening, is fantastic. It’s completely useless for listening to Armand Van Helden in the car, or earbuds, laptop speakers, etc…it’s useless to most listeners, in other words. But if your brother in law has a great stereo or at least great headphones and player, he would benefit from the real ish.
He said he got some newfangled FLAC player called a Filio 3 or something.

The guy is in his late 50s, and claims "the best stuff was only made in the 70s" with just about everything. He's got a "big" stereo system, yes. Its all shit that was made in the 70s, so there's nothing "high-def" about it. Is it nicer than a pair of apple earbuds? Sure. But am I gonna sit there and listen to Beethoven's 5th? Nah.

But seriously anytime he wants to show it off its just... loud. He's not an actual audiophile. But hes fam, and I dont mind helping him out.

Some of the stuff he wants is admittedly great (ELO - (although Jeff Lynn deserves every penny on the planet)-, Ella Fitzgerald, Wayne Newton, etc) and Im like yeah I dont need to keep this once its done downloading, because I can just look it up on spotify so I'm good. Unless I want Garth Brooks or Neil Young, that is lol