Final Fantasy VI Advance

HBCoffin

NEST Puppet
Alright, I just got this game (not the first time I played this classic), and I may be saddened to know that I may not be able to go back and find a monster in my bestiary after playing about 7 hours already, soon to be in the WoR. Does anyone know about the new dungeon or "Soul Shrine"? Is it possible to run into any missed monsters here? I'm a perfectionist when it comes to things like this, and if this is not possible, I'll probably just throw my 7 hours away and start again... it's sad and pathetic, I know...

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Picked this up yesterday, but I just started FFIII and FFV, so I probably won't get to this until 2008.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Oh man, its out already. Final Fantasy III is my favorite role playing game of all time, so I'm required to go get the gameboy version. I'll have this within the next few days if not tonight.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I will probably pick this up within a week or so. I am not sure when I will have time to play it though but it is one of the few remaining GBA games I was looking forward to.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Magician said:
Picked this up yesterday, but I just started FFIII and FFV, so I probably won't get to this until 2008.

Let's see.....
I haven't finished 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12...........so I probably won't get to this until 2010? :spock:

4 is the only FF game I finished :)

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Liquid Snake said:
Let's see.....
I haven't finished 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12...........so I probably won't get to this until 2010? :spock:

4 is the only FF game I finished :)

You can't beat 11. :p

I want to play the GBA port, but I feel like a tool since I never beat the SNES version...

Supposedly the SNES version has better sound and the GBA port has some slowdown, but most likely nothing significant. I heard there's some random censoring too (I don't remember there being anything that could possibly be censored in the SNES US version), but a lot of extra content and the script has been rewritten. (Was there anything wrong with it originally?)

The SNES version is on a TV, while the GBA port isn't, but it's more accessible... :( (I'm too lazy to switch frontal A/V cables on my TV.)

I don't know what to do, my life sucks. :crying:

HBCoffin

NEST Puppet
If you're a fan, I'd say pick it up. I'm looking to start playing again after this next week of exams is over because I never got to finish it on Snes. I'd actually have two copies on Snes now thanks to one of my Mom's friends who was giving away her sons Snes along with just about every great RPG ever made (talk about a jack-pot). Anyway, the script is quite different from what I remember, I've been using the original strategy guide and a lot of names for different skills have been changed (ex. Sabin's Fire Dance is now called Raging Phoenix, Ice, Ice 2 = Blizzard Blizzara, etc.). The only thing that's really slow is actually things like Sabin's Raging Phoenix, I do it a lot 'cause it's a high damage hit 'em all technique, but other than that, some of the graphics look a little improved. Plus, I can't wait to get the new Espers.

Soniku

Forget you ever saw anything over here...

Last edited:

Soniku

Ok um, you can completely disregard my last post... I had read elsewhere about the frame rate issues, so I thought that what I had experienced was quite normal... Let's just say I learned that patching teh r0mz with a quick save option is a bad habit and can somehow slowdown games, at least this game.

Anyway, sorry if I swayed anyone's decision on whether or not to buy the game, it's definitely worth it and I'll probably pick up a copy myself.

Everyone in this thread reserves the right to flame me. :crying:

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Looked for this yesterday, apparently Gamestop is sold out of them. Didn't get a chance to check anywhere else.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Still haven't gotten around to beating V yet, and even if I did, I want to play and beat Rogue Galaxy first.

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Piratero said:
SFC?
PSX?
GBA?

I mean, what kind of new content are we talking about here? I still think the SFC one will be the best (PSX had load times...ugh). I might pick up the GBA version because it's portable and all, which is nice.

And that would also mean I'd have to find Dawn of Souls on eBay or something... My portable Final Fantasy collection is almost complete...

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I picked it up the other day. So far it seems like a mixed bag to me. I'm not very far into it yet, but here's some of the things I've noticed...

- There's some minor slowdown, but not as bad as the PS1 port
- The music sounds more harsh and electronic than the original SNES version
- The graphics are pretty much exactly the same as the original
- The cool blur-out effect when entering battle has been replaced with a simple white wipe effect
- A lot of names for monsters and items have been changed
- The minor censorships from the US SNES version remain, but...
- New censorings have been introduced?

I got to the area early in the game where you play as Locke as he sneaks around the Empire-occupied South Figaro. In the SNES version, when you first encounter Celes, she is chained to the wall in a room being punched and taunted by two soldiers. In the GBA version, she is standing freely while being threatened by a trooper, and she isn't visibly punched or beaten at all.

Maybe they wanted to tone down that bit of violence so they could avoid a Teen rating. It makes me wonder if any other new censorings have been imposed.

Other than all those things I mentioned, it seems to be a solid port of one of the greatest RPG's ever. I'd say the SNES version is still the best, but I'm interested in seeing what new content the GBA version has.

Soniku

Zenimus said:
I got to the area early in the game where you play as Locke as he sneaks around the Empire-occupied South Figaro. In the SNES version, when you first encounter Celes, she is chained to the wall in a room being punched and taunted by two soldiers. In the GBA version, she is standing freely while being threatened by a trooper, and she isn't visibly punched or beaten at all.

From what I've read, that scene was edited due to concern for kidnappings in Japan or something stupid... Needless to say, they didn't bother to add it back in for the American version.

What really sucks is how they changed some of the characters' back-stories such as Setzer not being nearly involved with the empire as he was in the SNES version.

This place explains it.

Edit: Don't read the comments on the bottom of that page, people effing suck and just like to post spoilers without thinking...

Last edited:

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Soniku said:
From what I've read, that scene was edited due to concern for kidnappings in Japan or something stupid... Needless to say, they didn't bother to add it back in for the American version.

Kidnappings? How weird... have people over there been kidnapping girls and saying nerdy things like "I'm gonna beat you like a Magitek Knight!"

Interesting article though, thanks for posting it.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I got it off Amazon, because EB only did preorders because they are clearly retarded (I'm officially done with EBs bullshit).

I think it's fine. The music is slightly different, but still good. The slowdown, if any, is very minor and is much improved over the PSX version.

If you like Final Fantasy, it's definitely worth buying.