Final Fantasy V GBA US Release Date

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
- Nintendo will publish Square Enix's Final Fantasy V Advance for GBA in US on November 6, 2006.

Magicbox

No info about this or the JPN version on Square Enix's official site though.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Heres to hoping for a UK launch for both this and VI on GBA.

I just bought the beautiful FFIV GameBoy Advance Micro Boxset :)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for VI myself

but I'm willing to try V

can anyone here post some quick impressions

and fuck those gamefaq reviews, those guys are too fanatical for my tastes

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
Damn you, Square Enix. I want them to release V and VI already.

Also, I'm excited about Final Fantasy III for the DS, but why the hell is this the only Final Fantasy game not on GameBoy Advance? I mean, you have Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls, IV, V, and VI, and then III on a different system. It makes no sense.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
They're actually going to release it after all? I figured it'd be canceled by now, what with the DS' success and all.

I just hope they don't cancel the release of VI. That's the greatest one in the series, in my opinion, and I'd love a handheld version of it.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
To answer 2 questions in this thread

FFIII (JP) is coming out on DS because it's being remade into a good game, unlike the original release, which is terrible. It's better this way. SquareEnix did the right thing.

FFV is a great game. Totally worth the $30 price tag for a GBA version. Buy with confidence!

FFVI is my absolute favorite RPG ever though, so I'm really looking forward to that one on GBA. Here's hoping Chrono Trigger comes out for GBA as well.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
roker said:
I'm waiting for VI myself

but I'm willing to try V

can anyone here post some quick impressions

and fuck those gamefaq reviews, those guys are too fanatical for my tastes

If you liked FFIV... the music, graphics... it's pretty much takes from IV left off in all those departments. The feel is exact, unlike VI where style, graphics and even music all changed. Take that feel, give it the FF Tactics job system, and you have your game. Great game, actually. I'm super excited to play this one. I just finished IV (again) on GBA the other day, in fact.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
If you liked FFIV... the music, graphics... it's pretty much takes from IV left off in all those departments. The feel is exact, unlike VI where style, graphics and even music all changed. Take that feel, give it the FF Tactics job system, and you have your game. Great game, actually. I'm super excited to play this one. I just finished IV (again) on GBA the other day, in fact.

I move slow on these because I can't devote uniterrupted time to them often. About to start FF4, finishing up on FF2. I can't stop playing dawn of souls because of all the extra shit to play. Bonus dungeons, etc. So, V should come out just as my slow-ass is finishing IV. So great though. I was tempted to play Summon Night next. But FF4 is pulling rank.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yes! Thank God for the GBA! I never thought they'd release this one! Now all they have to do is remake VI and I'll be set.

BTW, since FFVII has such a low polygon count, they should remake it for DS. Even though it's not my favorite, I think it would kick ass.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
BTW, since FFVII has such a low polygon count, they should remake it for DS. Even though it's not my favorite, I think it would kick ass.

I think it's possible with all the advancements in data compression since 1996 (?)

but I think Sony would pay big bucks to make sure it never happens as it was one of the PSX's biggest hits ever

On the other hand, we did see Resident Evil come to the DS

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
roker said:
I think it's possible with all the advancements in data compression since 1996 (?)

but I think Sony would pay big bucks to make sure it never happens as it was one of the PSX's biggest hits ever

On the other hand, we did see Resident Evil come to the DS

They would basically have to get rid of most of the videos though. It was a 3 CD game for a reason, and the DS cards can't really hold that much data, can it?

FF7 would be a perfect game for a handheld though. I get the feeling, despite everything SquareEnix says, that they are going to make a remake for PS3.

hanafuda

IMTheWalrus said:
They would basically have to get rid of most of the videos though. It was a 3 CD game for a reason, and the DS cards can't really hold that much data, can it?

FF7 would be a perfect game for a handheld though. I get the feeling, despite everything SquareEnix says, that they are going to make a remake for PS3.

Just how much data can DS cards hold? The spec for FF III DS says 1G next to the card. Any idea what this refers to?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
IMTheWalrus said:
It was a 3 CD game for a reason, and the DS cards can't really hold that much data, can it?

that was 10 years ago

things have changed

compression is better

besides, the cards go to 1GB

but I heard it may actually top out at 2G

which is more than enough

in fact, they should be able to squeeze it all into 1GB

hanafuda

roker said:
that was 10 years ago

things have changed

compression is better

besides, the cards go to 1GB

but I heard it may actually top out at 2G

which is more than enough

in fact, they should be able to squeeze it all into 1GB

So FFIII DS is on a 1GB card? If so, 1GB worth of chips must be pretty damn cheap to manufacture.

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
That's off the chain. I own and beat the original SFC cartridge several times.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
hanafudaX said:
So FFIII DS is on a 1GB card? If so, 1GB worth of chips must be pretty damn cheap to manufacture.

1 or 2 GB makes sense. The DS chips look just like SD cards, and I imagine it's basically the same thing. In which case, I imagine it would be possible to get FF7 on it and certainly cheap enough to produce. Besides, you could put out FF7 in much lower resolution than what it was on PSX, which I'm sure would save plenty of space.

I think you can get a 1 GB SD card for like $15, and I'm sure it costs much less than that to produce. Could be wrong though...

hanafuda

Looks like Japan get it first:

Square Enix will release Final Fantasy V Advance for GBA in Japan on October 12, 2006.

Magicbox

Still no official word on SE's site.