Final Fantasy CC Echoes of Time DS

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I picked up a couple of copies of this and then rented a copy of the DS and Wii version and it is a lot of fun. The single player game is decent but if you can get two or more players playing it is a really fun hack/slash/loot gathering game.

The Wii version and DS versions can all connect for local play or you can go online and play with other players. I have not tried the online play yet but the local play works perfectly and is very easy to get in to. (Other than the cost)

IGN gave the DS version an 8.5/10 and the Wii version a 6.5/10 but they are pretty much the same game. I actually like the controls of the Wii version a little more since you can you the stick to get around, where the dpad on the DS can be a little challenging in tight spaces.

If you play locally with the Wii version, the person with the Wii hosts the game and all DS player join them. You can join and drop out of multiplayer at any save spot, so again it is really easy to get into and out of game. If you just have DS systems, any DS owner can host and the other players join in. The cool thing about using a Wii is that you can all see yourself on the TV, so you are able to look up from the DS, especially during boss fights.

If you like the series at all, I suggest at least a rental. I am going to try out the online this weekend.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I picked up a couple of copies of this and then rented a copy of the DS and Wii version and it is a lot of fun.

So that's three Wii copies and a DS copy? :spock:

Damn, and people think I'm a nutter (there, I'm British!).

This is the first CC game that looks kind of fun to me. Though I'd only be playing by myself. How do the AI guys play with you when you have to use three of them to fill out the party? How small can you make the inventory screen on the Wii version?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
So that's three Wii copies and a DS copy? :spock:

Damn, and people think I'm a nutter (there, I'm British!).

This is the first CC game that looks kind of fun to me. Though I'd only be playing by myself. How do the AI guys play with you when you have to use three of them to fill out the party? How small can you make the inventory screen on the Wii version?

No...Since this is the handheld thread I was referring to owning two copies of the DS version. I then rented the Wii version and one more copy of the DS version to try out four player play.

Unless you go online, you can only use one Wii in local play and you can connect it with up to three more DS systems (with games). If you go online, you can connect with other users of the DS or Wii version.

I actually don't buy many games anymore and most of what I post about is via Gamefly (I am on the four game plan). I probably own less than ten Wii and Ten DS games and only own one 360 game. I am no longer a big tymer like you and than makes me jealous.

I don't know if you have played FFCC Rings of Fate on the DS but this game is similar to that game but is a little better and the multiplayer is much easier to get in to. Echoes of Time also added online play which was missing from the other version. I don't use a wireless connection, so I had to rent the Wii version for online play.

If anyone ends up picking this up (either the DS/Wii) maybe we could try it out online. You can use friend codes or join random games.

Here is the link for the IGN DS review...(8.5/10)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/965/965699p1.html

Here is the link for the 1up review...(A)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/965/965699p1.html

Most other sources are giving it around an 8/10.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I got the DS version today, had a bunch of stuff to trade in that I don't play anymore and GS is running the trade-in-x-get-x-more deal, so I had a lot of credit.

I don't have my Wii or DS online, but I still like a good dungeon crawler, so I think I'll like this. Decided to go with DS version since the majority of reviews (maybe all) said that it's clearly the way to go, and it sounded like the control scheme would be harder on the Wii other than getting around with the stick.

That and I figured another new game to play on my DSi in a couple weeks can't hurt (there's that "too much credit" deal again).

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I got the DS version today, had a bunch of stuff to trade in that I don't play anymore and GS is running the trade-in-x-get-x-more deal, so I had a lot of credit.

I don't have my Wii or DS online, but I still like a good dungeon crawler, so I think I'll like this. Decided to go with DS version since the majority of reviews (maybe all) said that it's clearly the way to go, and it sounded like the control scheme would be harder on the Wii other than getting around with the stick.

That and I figured another new game to play on my DSi in a couple weeks can't hurt (there's that "too much credit" deal again).

You're correct about the reviews giving the higher score to the DS version. I like both the DS and Wii versions equally and actually like the controls in the Wii version a little more because of the stick. However, Echoes of Time is really a DS game so it feels a little more natural on that system.

I will be grabbing a DSi in a couple weeks as well and that is also the reason I purchased the DS version of this.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I finished this game last month and had a blast playing through it. I came into the game expecting a lot of loot drops and things, but found that I spent most of the time trying to get through the puzzles. I found that every level is possible playing solo but a pain in the ass.

I'm on my second play through now, but I don't think I'm going to get through it again. I can't stand the cut scenes and story.

I love the fact that you can change characters on the fly so easily. It's like you're controlling four characters at once.

The game feels like a solid 8/10 for me. If there were more loot collecting I think I would have liked it a bit more.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Quite enjoying this so far. Lots of quirky little combat moves, nice variety of quests, though I do have to admit that I am often finding myself thinking hey, move your dumb asses, AI party members! Then I try to kill them with my weak-ass Clavat fire spells, which doesn't work, of course, but it still makes me feel like an anti-social little outcast.

Rorschach the crystal-sickness curer, yeah.