Fighters, game skill levels, and our abilities

I want to beat MOTW with every character. Going from left to right on the menu, i'm stuck with that cute girl. She constantly gets owned by the CPU's Don Juan.

Ok I think I'm a decent fighter player, but to many of you I may just downright stink. I feel that the standard level 3 in MOTW is a good challenge for me. Thusly, here's some questions for yas...

1.) Finishing a game at what skill level on these fighters, do you guys deem a player a really good fighter? Do you feel that beating a game on the homecart default skill level makes the player a good one? Or is a good player defined by skill level upwards of 6 or 7? Or can we simply assume, rather expectantly, that a player's skill defined when playing another human? This is hard to gauge.

2.) An extension of question 1 above, why is it that MOTW skill level 2 is easy, but level 3 is hard as fuck? Same goes with Last Blade... level 1 is easy, but level 2 is hard. Seems consistant with SNK fighters that the lower levels the CPU is sleeping but jump 1 level, and boom CPU reads your joystick inputs, knows what you are about to do, always dodges fireballs, etc. Its really annoying.

3.) What fighting game among the NEO GEO library do you feel is the best fighter to really learn advanced combo, multitasking, and diciplinary fighting techniques? Again I have SS1, SS2, SVC, LB1, MOTW. I expect the first 3 aren't good choices...

Jumping from one fighting game to another helps me learn new tricks from time to time but not always too. I feel I'm 3x better than I was a year ago but still I want to really expand my game.

Thanks to any who care to offer advice.

twodeepuzzler

Geese's Thug
I don't know, for me it all depends on what game I'm playing. For example, I can ace kof 01 on lv 8, but get my ass handed to me on lv 4 ffs. But then again, I've always viewed playing the computer and playing a real opponent two different things. All the training against the computer cannot prepare you for fighting someone else, because you never know what's going to happen.

Although sometimes, when playing in competition, I've likened my opponents to cpu players, being able to spot certain patterns and exploit them.

So I guess to make a long story short, I feel more confident about my skills when I can triumph over a real person using what I've learned from the expert difficulties. After all, no one can see me lose to the computer when I'm practicing.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
twodeepuzzler said:
I don't know, for me it all depends on what game I'm playing. For example, I can ace kof 01 on lv 8, but get my ass handed to me on lv 4 ffs. But then again, I've always viewed playing the computer and playing a real opponent two different things. All the training against the computer cannot prepare you for fighting someone else, because you never know what's going to happen.

Although sometimes, when playing in competition, I've likened my opponents to cpu players, being able to spot certain patterns and exploit them.

So I guess to make a long story short, I feel more confident about my skills when I can triumph over a real person using what I've learned from the expert difficulties. After all, no one can see me lose to the computer when I'm practicing.

I agree. I never consider myself good at a game until I've played and done well against good competition. "Being good at a game" is about being able to kick everyones ass at it.

3) Play a wide variety of fighters you like constantly and try to get as much competition as possible, even if they arn't as good as you you can learn a lot from them. If you can, find someone that kicks your ass every time, and rope them into a good all day gaming session. You'll be 10 times better after that.

If your looking for good games to learn combos with, go for KOF, the whole series is beautiful and every game has a ton of great characters, system and depth.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Electroman said:
I want to beat MOTW with every character. Going from left to right on the menu, i'm stuck with that cute girl. She constantly gets owned by the CPU's Don Juan.

Ok I think I'm a decent fighter player, but to many of you I may just downright stink. I feel that the standard level 3 in MOTW is a good challenge for me. Thusly, here's some questions for yas...

1.) Finishing a game at what skill level on these fighters, do you guys deem a player a really good fighter? Do you feel that beating a game on the homecart default skill level makes the player a good one? Or is a good player defined by skill level upwards of 6 or 7? Or can we simply assume, rather expectantly, that a player's skill defined when playing another human? This is hard to gauge.

Beating the CPU on the higher skill level would put you beyond scrub status, but I wouldnt say that person is necessarily good until he beats human competition. After all, the CPU has its patterns that can be easily exploited once found. A human can adjust on the fly.

2.) An extension of question 1 above, why is it that MOTW skill level 2 is easy, but level 3 is hard as fuck? Same goes with Last Blade... level 1 is easy, but level 2 is hard. Seems consistant with SNK fighters that the lower levels the CPU is sleeping but jump 1 level, and boom CPU reads your joystick inputs, knows what you are about to do, always dodges fireballs, etc. Its really annoying.

He he he, I've never noticed that. I usually bump a fighter up to the highest level, even ones I never played before.

3.) What fighting game among the NEO GEO library do you feel is the best fighter to really learn advanced combo, multitasking, and diciplinary fighting techniques? Again I have SS1, SS2, SVC, LB1, MOTW. I expect the first 3 aren't good choices...

Garou, definitely. It's a great technical and strategic fighter with the feints, breaks, TOP, etc. It was much deeper than I expected. SS2 isnt a combo heavy game (there are some good ones, though. Check out the vids at fierceslash.com ), but it sure the hell is technicall with tons of strategy.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
To be "really good" at a fighting you need to see how you do against humans. CPU tends to fall into a pattern. If you can beat any of the fighting games on 3 or 4 I would consider you good and you could go 50/50 at the arcade. Human competition is a true measure.

Note on Last Blade though, you find it hard on 3/4? I breeze through it on 3/4, I always play LB on at least 6 and most of the time on 8. My greatest fighting game achievement, LB1 on lvl 8, 1 cred :mr_t: Doesn't mean too much though cause I'm sure a number of peeps could wipe of the floor with me that visit these board :smirk:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
you should really fight in arcades. or you could learn it at home. get yourre reflexes tighter that a string and learn combos. learn to anticipate and react (though against human op its a lot more different than comp) learn yourre character and yourre opponent charas. know what yourre prioritys are and yourre opponents. know what yourre able to do to each other before you get mashed.

ones youve done this, grab every chance you get for maximum damege. so learn combos, big combo, overhead, low combos, supercombos and try to use every opening foult yourre opponent makes. make him turtle but try to make no mistakes. so react fast and agressive. do what they dont expect.

like some peole said difficulty level isnt important. computer has patterns. people change in an instant. i beat garou on 1 credit from level 1 till 8 and always with big combos and without much effort. so you get big points and great rankings. try the same with most other fighters and youll be fine. from SS to FF to KOF back to LB.

but when playing against one of my 2 little brothers thats when the competition begins. nothing like fighting yourre own students:glee:

Thanks everyone for your input on this, its appreciated :)

And as far as arcades... hell around here there aren't any that play 2D stuff.

Well actually there is one, in Nashua, NH that has some 2D stuff... but oh yea its over an hour drive. Oh well.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Electroman said:
Thanks everyone for your input on this, its appreciated :)

And as far as arcades... hell around here there aren't any that play 2D stuff.

Well actually there is one, in Nashua, NH that has some 2D stuff... but oh yea its over an hour drive. Oh well.
Good Times in Somerville, but they've gone down hill :oh_no:

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Play humans, then if you have the opportunity, travel to fight humans. That's the only way to get to know how good you truly are in a game. Some people who thought they were good in other states say Philly or NyC came to Delaware to play and got ruined. Likewise I've been to other states and been beaten retarded in games too (Just not Samsho;)

Human competition is where it's at. Also knowledge is a good place to start. Sites like Fierceslash.com and this place and a few others have good material. Even if you DON'T play against people often having knowledge from people who do play against people will up your game.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I would say that everything that's been said already is definitely going to help you. Practice makes perfect, and you just have to explore all the possibilities and mechanics of a particular game. Human competition is the best, although it sucks when you can't find good competitors. I really only ever get to play button mashers who win by chance and don't know exactly what they're doing when they play me. And if I start beating their asses too hard I'm afraid they won't want to play against me anymore so I usually try to go easy on anyone who will play me. Oh well, I will have fierce competition someday.