Fighter Swords - Why Korean Versions of Neo-Geo games Suck

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Neo-Geo home cart collectors may have run into the following problem: a great condition Samurai Shodown IV US is obtained only to find out that it's Korean. And while no personal bias against Korea and its people, the game itself is gimped for no apparent reason. There is no epilepsy warning card to inform the player that the South Korean government enacted laws specifically to deny the enjoyment of Japanese goods. But apparently that was in fact the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Japanese_media_in_South_Korea

Immediately following the end of the Japanese rule of Korea, on August 15, 1945, South Korea enacted the Law For Punishing Anti-National Deeds (반민족행위처벌법), which was followed with many other laws over the decades restricting the broadcast and distribution of records, videos, CDs, and games from outside the country. While the laws did not specify any specific country, the intent of the laws was primarily aimed at Japanese media.[1] As a result, Koreans had no access to Japanese media at all until the 1990s.

and
On January 1, 1999, manga and other publications were allowed to be imported for the first time.[clarification needed][1] Films that have won one or more of four major international film festivals were also allowed to be shown.

Samurai Shodown III and IV, as well as the Last Blades, may be found in Korean format. Discerning the region of Korean games is like discerning the sexes of freshly hatched chickens.

And now with Samurai Shodown Kai Kai Kai, the question should be asked: "are there legacy laws preventing Koreans from using Japanese in a game about Japanese characters?" For the game to start off with "READY! SET!" rather than "IZA! JIN JOU NI! IPPON NE, SHOUBU!" It seems like the idea of Samurai Spirits is lost on the Korean developers, or the people, and those laws that are set to protect korean culture have left them dubiously denying culture to themselves.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I don't understand the direction of this thread, was hoping it was going to list differences in the Korean versions :D.

What I do know, is Fighters sword is ass because the announcer is missing and I think the blood and slicing people in half were censored?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
well... at least due to the censorship/EPROMs n Fighters Swords boards you don't have to feel bad if you perform the SamSho III hitfix mod on them.

(*runs for cover*)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you're going to do that you basically get the entire game fixed, right?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
All the censorship is removed, so depending on your stance towards the hitfix: yes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The hit fix is okay. It doesn't make Amakusa a better character, which I approve, as that is my main.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Are there any other censored Korean games? Last Blade is one other, correct?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
well... at least due to the censorship/EPROMs n Fighters Swords boards you don't have to feel bad if you perform the SamSho III hitfix mod on them.

(*runs for cover*)

I still need to get around to doing this on mine

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
What's worse than having a job of using a sharpie to cover up the exposed leg and chest for a warehouse full of NAM-1975 homecarts?

Having to open a cart up, desolder mask ROMs and solder in replacement eproms, then put it back together for the same warehouse full of carts. XD

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
Some US version neo geo games sold in the U.S. also have white milk blood, no?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think they had the option in the test menu to switch to red blood.

correct, or go into the options menu and hit ABCD at the same time to unlock blood

or switch it to Japanese mode.

Korean versions didn't allow any of this. This was due to their strict censorship laws.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
actually until 1998 all japanese stuff was banned in korea thats why you see various consoles like from sega, nintendo and even SNKs neo geo having their own korean lincensed versions made by korean manufacturers.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
In Samurai Shodown 2 the blood is green for the US version. WTF!?

The bios of the system determines the region, not the game. Other than labels, insert any the paperwork etc., JP & US games are identical internally.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Are all korean versions of neo geo games gimped like this? Hopefully shock troopers was unscathed....

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The first time I saw SAULABI SPIRITS, I pissed my pants.

Why import shit from Japan if you have a problem with the Japanese? Blows my mind.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Too much national pride to admit they can't develop shit worth playing.

Last edited:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Arcade version of Soul Caliber 1 had Misturugi's name changed to Arthur and his appearance altered with hair turned blond and an eyepatch.

Can't have no samurais in Korea.