Fight On the Killer Instinct Documentary

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Full video on YouTube has anyone seen this?

I’ll admit I am not the most knowledgeable person on KI but I thought it was pretty interesting the inspiration for KI was Fatal Fury and World Heroes namely the combos of Kim Kaphwan and Dragon

Also I have to certainly give credit to the reverence that Microsoft, the creator, and the developers gave to this series yet updated it for today’s tastes when they brought it to Xbox One

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Being 100% serious - Killer Instinct on the XBone is probably my favorite fighting game of all time. Everyone on this forum needs to check it out. I’m no pro, but I don’t think any game had ever held my attention as long as KI...I mean it came out ages ago and it still probably the game I play most.

Thanks so much for posting this video, I watched about 20 minutes so far and it’s great, will finish the rest soon.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
damn. that's in depth for KI.
I didn't get hooked on the XO version, but that was more the console than the game. i just dont play much console anymore.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
No problem at all Neo Moe glad you’re enjoying it. It is a pretty in depth doc for sure, they really made discussing the almost grass roots development and further adjustments to the game the focus and not the players or history etc which I certainly enjoy as a general fighting game fan, the process that is involved, it’s certainly a doc for fighting game nerds

Also the Maximilian Dood reacts YouTube analysis is a nice “DVD Extras” follow up if you enjoyed the doc

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I always respected KI more than I actually enjoyed playing it. I got pretty good at doing all of the long combos and what not in the original games but it always felt more like a way of cooling off after a run of losses in Super Turbo or Samurai Shodown II than a game to actually take seriously. Getting actually good at the old KIs meant essentially ignoring 90% of what made the game fun to go for the highest damage unbreakable (or incredibly difficult to break) combos.

I bought KI on the XBone (and again on Steam) but I just couldn't get in to it. Some of it was the slow drip (only starting with 6 characters was a huge bummer) of content but a lot was that I couldn't justify buying a $200 stick to play one game and I wasn't going to take the game seriously playing on a controller... especially the middling XBone controller. I regret it because I love the game's soundtrack and it seems like they made a lot of great design choices along the way but it just didn't happen.

Curious to watch the documentary but not in any hurry.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Pulled my XO to check out the current game. Crazy how far it's come.
I found a clip from the first week I was playing. Clip recording was novel back then... Look how far we've come.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm an hour and ten minutes in (I'll finish the rest), but I've enjoyed what I've seen.

EDIT : I still haven't finished it, but how about posting a power instinct documentary next time, ok?

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'm an hour and ten minutes in (I'll finish the rest), but I've enjoyed what I've seen.

EDIT : I still haven't finished it, but how about posting a power instinct documentary next time, ok?

I’d be 100% down with watching a Power Instinct doc, I am a fan for sure. Another member Stefan just two days ago mentioned his disappointment the last one never got a non arcade release when I saw him in person with Jon from the forums who was in town.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yeah I slept on this thinking it wasn't my jam. God damn it I gotta go buy KI now.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’d be 100% down with watching a Power Instinct doc, I am a fan for sure. Another member Stefan just two days ago mentioned his disappointment the last one never got a non arcade release when I saw him in person with Jon from the forums who was in town.

I was joking but, cool.

Power Instinct series is awesome.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
For those interested KI is heavily discounted atm on steam.

I just got it along with cup head :)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This is cool! Cant wait to check it out when I have some time. Big fan of KI 1 and a bit of KI 2. I like the new one, but havent gotten too much into it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Just finished the video, it was awesome. I definitely can understand the criticisms folks may have had about the season structure...I definitely spent more on this game than any other but it was worth it to me.

Sounds like there won’t be a new KI for some time - but if they do a season 4 for the series X that would probably be the only thing to jump into the next gen.

And who is this Maximillian Dood guy? I find him extremely likeable. Is he Paul from the Wonder Years???!!!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just finished the video, it was awesome. I definitely can understand the criticisms folks may have had about the season structure...I definitely spent more on this game than any other but it was worth it to me.

Sounds like there won’t be a new KI for some time - but if they do a season 4 for the series X that would probably be the only thing to jump into the next gen.

And who is this Maximillian Dood guy? I find him extremely likeable. Is he Paul from the Wonder Years???!!!
Maximilian Dood is one of those ProJared/Tophat Gamingman/Metal Jesus dudes but I think he focuses mainly on fighters. I haven't watched much of his channel but it's better than most of the dreck out there.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
i like him!

The Wonder Years was one of my favorite shows as a kid!

He seems pretty legit!

His love for KI is real!

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
We live in a future where Microsoft produces better vs fighters than Capcom. Who could have foreseen this 20 years ago?