Fatal Fury 3

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I have read the review on this site, and have gotten some info from it. But im looking for some more opinions on fatal fury 3.

I've never played the game, but Im assuming it plays like an old school fighter ( more like FF special as opposed to RBFF).

This game does seem like the blacksheep of the fatal fury series, but im really curious as to how the the game feels, and what it's combo engine is like (I've read a faq. that had some chain combos listed for some characters?).

any opinions on it would be great.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I love FF3...it's one of my all-time favorites. As far as how it plays, it comes down between FFS and RBFF, maybe leaning a bit towards FFS in places. It has 3-line swaying like RBFF, instead of 2-line changing like FFS and RBS, though.

The input commands are more strict than the RB series, and this game has a really cool combo engine called "combination arts", which are kind of character-specific chains. What sets this engine apart from the RB engines, is that in RB you can do the charracter's combos whether the opponent blocks or not (if he does, at least you can build up your meter). In FF3, if your opponent blocks the first 2 hits of your combo, your combo stops and you won't be able to continue it. This gives FF3 a different pace from the RB games.

Having 3 planes really seems a hurdle for a lot of people, and to be honest, I don't use it that effectively either. But the game is great. When you are able to pull off the Super Combination Arts (the world's original SDMs -- a specific combo followed by a command that executes a powered up version of your DM-- for example, the first appearance of Terry's Triple Geyser) you will feel like you've accomplished something. There are still a few (of the characters I don't use much) that I've never done.

As for the aesthetics, FF3 has (along with FFS) my favorite character sprites, and the best soundtrack on the Neo. The backgrounds are really beautiful and atmospheric...along with RBFF, they are my favorite on the Neo. The mutlple paths/endings depending on how well you fight, will keep you improving.

The final thing I'll say is that the game's control may feel a bit stiff compared to modern fighters, but if you stick with it long enough to acclimate, this game is a real treasure. SNK at the absolute peak of their creativity, IMO.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
well, SouthtownKid's excellent post gives you great insight into the game...and though he's a tough act to follow, I'll add my humble insights about some other interesting nuances of the game:

in addition to the 3-line swaying(which I'm not that great at using) is the addition of the Quicksway move...where by just tapping Down/Forward your character does a short feint into the lower plane which is handy for avoiding an attack and coming back with a quick hit of your own...think of it similar to the AB dodge from earlier KOF's

the overall presentation is really nice, from the awesome intro sequence to the progression of the story as your character advances in the game, culminating in a great ending (after all, this is the Garou series)...and the translated dialogue can get downright hilarious to see
icon25.gif

so in other words, this is a truly unique and worthy addition to anyone's library and particularly to fans of the Garou series...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes I was actually going to ask about how the game plays with the three line sway aswell. Thanks for your replies guys.