Famicom versions of NES exclusives

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Is this a thing? I'd like to add back to the future and Friday the 13th to my Famicom collection, but I don't want to have to fuck around with pin adapters. Is there someone who specializes in doing this. I'd rather just have two chips burned and put into two shitty famicom baseball games then sac two NES games as well.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Is this a thing? I'd like to add back to the future and Friday the 13th to my Famicom collection, but I don't want to have to fuck around with pin adapters. Is there someone who specializes in doing this. I'd rather just have two chips burned and put into two shitty famicom baseball games then sac two NES games as well.

Why?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Deez, it should be doable as long as there is a fami game that uses the same board type. I'm at work now so I can't look it up.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Looks like the user HeavyMachineGun in Canada does this.
I always see threads in the for sale everything else forum.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Making Famicom repros with donors is just like on NES (as long as you're using HVC PCBs). The only annoying part is getting the screw-less cartridge shells apart without breaking the tabs. BTTF and Friday the 13th both use cheapo donors, easy to work with. Heck, they don't even need rewiring.

Only other problem is someone (usually me) has to come up with label artwork.

You might be able to find someone in the US to do this for you. If not, I have donors and EPROM chips available for this.

I've actually had someone ask me to make a T&C Surf Designs cartridge.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
How complicated is it to change the ROM of a Famicom game to the NES version? Case in point: I've been wanting to play Dragon Warrior IV again, but I don't want to pay an absurd amount of money to do so. I picked up DQIV for five bucks shipped and was hoping someone could point me to a guide to change it over.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You have to rewire it, but it's pretty easy. I can give you my notes if you want to give it a shot, I've made several English dq4s.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
How complicated is it to change the ROM of a Famicom game to the NES version? Case in point: I've been wanting to play Dragon Warrior IV again, but I don't want to pay an absurd amount of money to do so. I picked up DQIV for five bucks shipped and was hoping someone could point me to a guide to change it over.

It depends on the type of PCB the game has. Dragon Quest IV uses "SUROM", which is MMC1 with support for a 4Mbit PRG ROM.

Just open the cartridge and consult this:

http://nesdev.com/NES EPROM Conversions.txt

Use the TKROM & TSROM PRG socket instructions.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
of course you can get nes exclusives on Famicom. I have a bootleg snake rattle n roll on Famicom. Famicom bootlegs are a vast universe.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've ordered a famicom and it's coming with the three final fantasys. I'll start a thread in the tech forum when it arrives. I'll probably start w/ FFII since that's the one I care least about (no big deal if I screw it up).