ESPN layoffs (2017 Edition)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'm glad Skip is on FS1. I watch Undisputed nearly everyday.

One of the few shows from the us I try to watch every chance I can. It's not broadcast here. So you have to find a stream somewhere. Or use the podcast.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I believe FS1 also upload a fair amount of content on YouTube for free.

They do. Especially when Shannon gets on the civil rights train. Which is really what makes the show for me.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
how can anyone stand to watch and listen to Skip Bayless???

Even people here in Oklahoma hate his guts.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
ESPN has been political lately and it's turning off a lot of people. They got rid of Sage Steele because she's a black republican that didn't agree with the airport protests and she got canned as a result.

Not true on the canning part. She will be back on the air as a headliner.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I follow Skip on twitter. People are incredibly creative in how they rip Skip about his 1.2 ppg in high school.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

I'm a cowboys fan. And a spurs fan. Coming up in Austin, Texas in the 90s with no pro teams around. I fell in love with Jimmy Johnson's boys. And David Robinson's fiesta. Skip spits the kind of drivel I'm about. Hoping to avoid another 8-8 season, hoping Kawhi can get us past the rockets. Skip falls in line with me there. He's a sports pundit who doesn't give a shit about giving an unbiased report. He knows he's biased, knows he's got his own slant, and doesn't care if that upsets.

Reminds me a bit of Jeremy Clarkson when he reviews a car. Doesn't care that he's driving a brand new car for free, doesn't care that he steps on toes, he's opinionated, nasty, and tells it like it is. or rather how he sees it. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I'm a cowboys fan. And a spurs fan. Coming up in Austin, Texas in the 90s with no pro teams around. I fell in love with Jimmy Johnson's boys. And David Robinson's fiesta. Skip spits the kind of drivel I'm about. Hoping to avoid another 8-8 season, hoping Kawhi can get us past the rockets. Skip falls in line with me there. He's a sports pundit who doesn't give a shit about giving an unbiased report. He knows he's biased, knows he's got his own slant, and doesn't care if that upsets.

Reminds me a bit of Jeremy Clarkson when he reviews a car. Doesn't care that he's driving a brand new car for free, doesn't care that he steps on toes, he's opinionated, nasty, and tells it like it is. or rather how he sees it. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

Having listen to Skip Bayless on local radio before he became as "big" as he is now, I can tell you that he does not really believe what he says, he just says it to get attention.

Clarkson on the other hand, as far as I know, he tells it how he sees it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I thought that she was fired for being political?

She posted a blog entry on how inconvenient the Uber strike made traveling. Came off as very privileged/out of touch. I don't think she got fired, but she's not featured as prominently on various stuff.

For real. Skip Bayless is the biggest hack in the industry, just narrowly ahead of Jason Whitlock. It's too bad ESPN won't cut Stephen A. loose so he can head to Fox along with all the other "talent" they've hired away from ESPN.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Skip Bayless is the biggest hack in the industry, just narrowly ahead of Jason Whitlock.

Two biggest "personalities" on my shit list of sports.

Edit: add Cowherd to that list, as well.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Having listen to Skip Bayless on local radio before he became as "big" as he is now, I can tell you that he does not really believe what he says, he just says it to get attention.

Clarkson on the other hand, as far as I know, he tells it how he sees it.
Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear and The Grand Tour is moreso a caricature. His review of the SVT Lightning might be the best example.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
So how is Stephen A. Stank still employed?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't give a shit about sports or ESPN, but these layoffs (and last year's) are bullshit. ESPN makes about $7 per subscriber per month. In 2011 they had 100 million subscribers. That's 8.4 billion fucking dollars a year, if I'm doing my math correctly.

They now have about (more than) 85 million subscribers. That's still 7.1 billion dollars a year. They're not in financial trouble. At all. They're trending downward, but that's no excuse to fire so many people, especially since they're the ones doing their jobs. Leadership members are the ones not adapting to the expectations of modern TV viewers.

What you dont realize is NFL charges up to $75million to air a regular season game.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I can't remember the last time I turned on ESPN. Even when the Cubs won the World Series and when the Hawks were winning Stanley cups, I was watching the local affiliates.

For my sports news, I just type '<insert teams here> score' and look at the stat lines.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I can't remember the last time I turned on ESPN. Even when the Cubs won the World Series and when the Hawks were winning Stanley cups, I was watching the local affiliates.

For my sports news, I just type '<insert teams here> score' and look at the stat lines.
Too many sources to find good stats and highlights nowadays.