Ebay returns and international sellers

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Anyone ever have experience making a return to an international seller?

Long story short I paid a premium for an item that was listed as being "Very Good" and "See photo of actual item.". While the photo showed the entire item, it only shows the front. Lo and behold item arrives and has damage on the back.

So naturally I'm pissed, and I file a return with the seller who is in Japan. The next day the seller sends me the "return label" and its just a copy of the label he used to ship the item to me and NOT a return label.

So I'm starting to wonder, can he even send me an actual return label since he is in another country? Or am I suppose to pay return shipping? Return shipping at its cheapest is going to cost me $25 and since its not part of the initial cost of the item I know I wont be refunded for it. Honestly I feel like I shouldnt have to pay return shipping as the seller is the one who misrepresented the item and wasted my time and money in the first place.

So what should I do, should I pursue trying to obtain an actual return label from the seller, or just pay the return shipping and leave negative feedback?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Anyone ever have experience making a return to an international seller?

Long story short I paid a premium for an item that was listed as being "Very Good" and "See photo of actual item.". While the photo showed the entire item, it only shows the front. Lo and behold item arrives and has damage on the back.

So naturally I'm pissed, and I file a return with the seller who is in Japan. The next day the seller sends me the "return label" and its just a copy of the label he used to ship the item to me and NOT a return label.

So I'm starting to wonder, can he even send me an actual return label since he is in another country? Or am I suppose to pay return shipping? Return shipping at its cheapest is going to cost me $25 and since its not part of the initial cost of the item I know I wont be refunded for it. Honestly I feel like I shouldnt have to pay return shipping as the seller is the one who misrepresented the item and wasted my time and money in the first place.

So what should I do, should I pursue trying to obtain an actual return label from the seller, or just pay the return shipping and leave negative feedback?

Call eBay. You don't have to pay jack shit if it's item not as described. Also, whatever you do, don't use eBay's global shipping.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Thanks for the advice,

Just curious, whats wrong with ebays global shipping?

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Yea, I love this shit. Had one guy send me the completely wrong item and then proceed to tell me I needed to pay for the return in order to get a refund. I told him to get fucked; it was his screw up and I'll see how ebay wants to handle it. Got a full refund shortly after.

I would have him fully refund you, or if the item is still worth some amount to you... tell him what that number is and see if he will refund the rest.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It's a scheme for ebay to make money off of you big time. They collect this large fee that supposedly will pay for them to deal with customs fees and other crap as well as their time tearing open your box and just re-boxing it back up with their stickers and shipping it out. It adds like say $20 to the price of a basic item. Pre bullshit you could get a 3oz Gameboy game from Japan for like around $4 shipping (or more) and now it's like $20-24 if they use the GSP because ebay will collect that despite knowing damn well US customs isn't going to slap you with an import tax. As soon as they not too long ago started allowing other countries to use it to ship into the US I quit buying from those sellers. Sure GSP makes you a little safer as ebay is then liable for damaged goods or other shit since they are the ultimate handlers of the goods, but it makes it very hard to sell when people get raped on fees before even paying on the item.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The repackaging job gsp does is awful - talking big boxes with loose consoles inside, no bubble wrap, no newspaper, no nothing. Avoid like the plague

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The repackaging job gsp does is awful - talking big boxes with loose consoles inside, no bubble wrap, no newspaper, no nothing. Avoid like the plague

Sometimes you don't even get the right item. A guy on here shipped posters and the buyer received an old pair of sneakers.If the items are nice it does like they just flat out keep them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
When you open a return, you have to choose "item not as described" as the reason. Even if the buyer doesn't accept returns, they have to if something was misrepresented and it'll be on their dime. If they refuse, escalate to eBay. Take pictures of the defect(s) as well.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I bought from one seller in japan and the item was defect.
Ebay allowed me to return item back to seller anyway i want & seller agreed to pay back the shipping cost.
I shipped item back by using FedEx ($125). Not only seller refunded the original amount, but also the fedex shipping :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
As a buyer, you can and probably will fuck this seller over hardcore. Ebay basically always sides with the buyer, especially if you buy a fair amount of stuff on the Bay. Just open a dispute, document, and show pictures of the damage. Game over for the seller. If he isn't cooperating, eBay will likely just refund you with no more trouble at all for you. So, yeah, you really have little to worry about on this one.

I've had the same shit happen, too, and it pisses me off. People hide damage all the time on eBay. I've gotten good at spotting it now. Always taking photos from one angle, every picture included doesn't seem to show one corner, or the always sneaky putting a power cord or manual on the item to cover a piece of damage. Now, if I see something like that and I want the item I ask the seller for a clear picture of that area, and if I don't get it I don't even bother with the auction.

Last edited:

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
It's a scheme for ebay to make money off of you big time. They collect this large fee that supposedly will pay for them to deal with customs fees and other crap as well as their time tearing open your box and just re-boxing it back up with their stickers and shipping it out. It adds like say $20 to the price of a basic item. Pre bullshit you could get a 3oz Gameboy game from Japan for like around $4 shipping (or more) and now it's like $20-24 if they use the GSP because ebay will collect that despite knowing damn well US customs isn't going to slap you with an import tax. As soon as they not too long ago started allowing other countries to use it to ship into the US I quit buying from those sellers. Sure GSP makes you a little safer as ebay is then liable for damaged goods or other shit since they are the ultimate handlers of the goods, but it makes it very hard to sell when people get raped on fees before even paying on the item.

Ebay aren't liable for anything apparently.

I bought some games like 2 years ago that went through GSP and just flat out got lost. I got a refund after a massive hassle and afaik the seller just got completely fucked over.

I never get charged import tax from stuff I buy on eBay. The GSP also adds an extra week or so of processing and handling time.

Tracked packet to USA is something like 10-14 or so for an MVS cart (been awhile since I sold one) and gets there in 7-10 days. If I order something from someone non-gsp it gets here in about that 7-10 day timeframe depending on location (and occasional holdups at customs) if its GSP its 100% 2-3 weeks. It's also ridiculously expensive, and not even consistent. Sometimes I've paid 12 shipping + 12 tax, other times I've spent 16 + 0 tax for similarly priced items and fairly close location.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Sun fade can be hard to spot given various lighting conditions in the photos. I've gotten 'burned' by that one before. I didn't do anything about it because I honestly didn't want to be bothered with the hassle.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
This was a console that had a cracked corner. I know some people are oblivious to things like that so I do sometimes feel bad for complaining. But honestly at the same time, if your going to ask a premium for something, I feel you should make sure the product your selling is "premium". Especially when it's listed as "Very Good".

Anyways the seller already tried to offer me a $20 refund. But I turned it down. I guess we will see what happens. I hope I don't have to wait 6months for a refund...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed also not mattering on the dollar amount. I got an Urusei Yatsura manga days ago, the dipshit listed it as very good up top then adds: Condition Ex library book in very good condition. Clean pages and text, binding is strong. Overall good clean copy.

Bullshit it was. The back flap and a few pages in it detached from the spine a good 1 1/2 inch down from the top. Stains in various places, ink marks too, discolored, dogeared half way through on the bottom right corner from front into it. It's acceptable, couldn't even stretch it to good. I figured being ex-library it would have the usual removeable stickers on the cover, which it did and they came off clean but the book itself is jacked. I'm going to leave a neutral or negative, but since they're a powerseller I have to wait 7 days to leave a non-positive feedback which seems criminal on ebays part.