E3 is officially dead

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
internet-killed-e3-800x450.jpg

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

E3 hasn't been a big thing for well over a decade. Everyone is doing direct to consumer broadcasts now like the Nintendo Directs.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, E3 died the moment the major publishers started pulling out. It was always a bloated, expensive mess and its primary audience (retail) hasn't been relevant for over a decade. While it was fun to have the deluge of information come through over the course of a few days and all of the big announcements and whatever. the industry had been looking for an excuse to ditch it for a while and COVID was the perfect opportunity to completely shift to direct-to-consumer marketing.

So yeah... fun memories ("$299", Giant Enemy Crabs, Ravi Drums, etc.) but E3 has been Old Yeller for a long time.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The major companies know the ROI hasn't been there in over a decade. We consume information too quickly for major release at a trade show.
Even the showings at PAX's are split among mid to small scale companies.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Companies don't like the comparisons over 'who won E3' either. They'd rather do it on their own terms.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
it would have been cool to go in person back when e3 was fresher and the games were better, 20+ years ago now..... Except the part about needing to be an industry insider person to get in. what even was the point of all the neat booths, demos and presentations? put on a big extravagant show for almost nobody to see.

i bet spaceworld was better anyway.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
it would have been cool to go in person back when e3 was fresher and the games were better, 20+ years ago now..... Except the part about needing to be an industry insider person to get in. what even was the point of all the neat booths, demos and presentations? put on a big extravagant show for almost nobody to see.

i bet spaceworld was better anyway.

I’d rather ask forgiveness than permission, and that led to me successfully fake-credentialing my way into E3, in ‘99.

Totally worth it.

DC North American soft launch, 16 player LAN’d Sega Rally 2 (feature never made it to the home release), booth babes, TokyoPop having FMWwrestlers wrassle, and the rep from VideoSystem being hotter than their own booth babes 😂…it was a time.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
RIP E3 only because i'll miss this.Though really once nintendo started having there own directs other publishers followed suit.Which showed publisher they don't need to spend a fortune at E3 while having there own event online is cheaper.

:rolleyes:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I thought E3 died ages ago? Huh.

I mean the last one was 2019 but they kept saying they were gonna bring it back at some point. Now they've officially killed it (until they try to resurrect it again in some other form, at least).