Dragonpunch motions on sticks?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
That wacky button layout is the layout I used on my pc gamepad for years playing neo geo games on an emulator. Now that I have the real hardware I had some adjustment time before I stopped deflecting in the middle of my LB2 combos :-P. Interestingly enough though when I played neo fighters on the computer I used the abcd inline configuration, so my stick controls are fine, i was just all screwed up on the neo cd pads.

I feel pretty silly about it now, not sure why i didn't Just look it up to see the config.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Easiest way is :forw::down::forw: not :dragf:

Which means you're more than likely pushing the diagonal anyway.

Seriously, if people can't dragon punch on a stick by now. haha. its hardly hard to :dragf:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When SF2 came out we used to do it as a small circle in that area. Start form the DF position and make a circle in that small 1/4 stick space. Any way you do it you hit the commands.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
The Bibliophile

2a5b0f28.jpg

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Did you have mini lotion and tissues just laying around?
:lolz:

I thought the same thing but I'm guessing it's from his daughter's dolls or something.

I'm gonna fire up the cab tonight so I'll try out the :forw::down::forw: method James posted. If I have time I'll hook up my balltop stick and try the different grips from that video.

Thanks for the help! :buttrock:

SNKNostalgia

Gal Ageise's Demon
I just use my thumb on the bottom and my index with my middle finger on the top. Just loosely hold the ball top. I use the bottom of my palm as a rest and pivot using forearm and wrist motions. One of the biggest keys is the angle the you hold the stick. With arcade cabs you don't have to worry about it with the fixed position unless you are standing or sitting in an off angle. Also, try this little exercise with and/or without a game on:

1) Just practice precision with different speeds
2) Watch what angle you are holding the stick when using index and thumb. Make sure the tip of the finger is facing exactly to the right and the thumb is up in an angle to the right.
3) Usually you don't have to do motions as fast as you think, start slow until the move works.
4) When a move stops... oh say to the right, make sure you are controlling the stop.

You wouldn't believe how many friends of mine a few years back that would come to play my Neo Geo complaining about the stick. They ended up using the CD pad instead and still had problems pulling off moves. It just takes some getting used to. I would kick their asses in the arcades, especially in Tekken Tag. At home on the PS2, we had more even matches.

Last edited:

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
I've never really thought about this before now, but I'm pretty sure the way I've always done it would only work with a square gate(never tried with an octagonal one).

Assuming you're facing right, you just tap towards 3'oclock then let the stick return to centre, then as it does you tap towards 5 o'clock and let it slide into the bottom corner. So it's really just two flicks rather than that zig zag motion you see everywhere.

Sorry for the clock face references but it's a more natural way of visualising 150°.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I've never really thought about this before now, but I'm pretty sure the way I've always done it would only work with a square gate(never tried with an octagonal one).

Assuming you're facing right, you just tap towards 3'oclock then let the stick return to centre, then as it does you tap towards 5 o'clock and let it slide into the bottom corner. So it's really just two flicks rather than that zig zag motion you see everywhere.

Sorry for the clock face references but it's a more natural way of visualising 150°.

bingo, stick return to center is the key after :forw:

I try to explain the motion to people as if you are writing a backwards J with the following 3 motions:forw:return to center:down:roll to:downf:
This usually helps people visualize it a bit better.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
The Iron Fist (or the Kan, which ever you prefer) :
Ironfist.jpg

Reverse Iron Fist (Reverse Kan):
ReverseIronFist.jpg

The 'index of power'
Indexofpower.jpg

Pinky of truth and accuracy
Pinky.jpg

The moonwalk
Moonwalk.jpg

The rabbit
Therabbit.jpg

The palm of fury
Flattenedpalm.jpg

Reverse palm of fury
Reverseflattenedpalm.jpg

:p

totally need one of those taito ash trays.
awesome

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When I play on the left side I use:

The "This is how small your dick is" Technique
sdstick.jpg

When I play on the right side I use:

The "Shocker" aka "Two in the Pink, One in the Stink" Technique
shstick.jpg