Double Dragon Advance

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Just started playing this game again last night. Very fun, definitely one of the gems of my GBA collection.
I've had my DS for about 3 months and right now I've reverted to playing games like this on my GBA. Why? It just feels unnatural on the DS.
As far as I'm concerned neither the DS or the PSP has anything that looks as fun gameplay-wise at the moment.

As someone put it before...there's nothing like punching a hooker in the face or drowning thugs in the ol' creek.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Haven't picked that up, as I still play my Atari Lynx version. :buttrock:

dark penguin

pixeljunkie said:
Haven't picked that up, as I still play my Atari Lynx version. :buttrock:

I highly reccomend the GBA version...nothing amazing graphically, but who cares? Beatin' down fools never gets old :D

neosportskid

Banned
Double dragon advance is great. Lots of cool moves,many enemies on screen, just more of everything. It is in my top gba games up there with yoshi's island, mariogolf, and mariokart.

dark penguin

neosportskid said:
Double dragon advance is great. Lots of cool moves,many enemies on screen, just more of everything. It is in my top gba games up there with yoshi's island, mariogolf, and mariokart.

Yes, agreed.
I'm just glad Million(Technos) is still making games at all!

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I have Double Dragon Advance. The last boss in
Double Dragon II: The Revenge is in Double Dragon
Advance before the fight with Willy. Notice the music
in the game. :kekeke: :kekeke:

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
double Dragon advance is the shit ( i wish they would port double dragon 3 on the nes to gba!!!!)

How is the lynx version

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Garou[ryu] said:
double Dragon advance is the shit ( i wish they would port double dragon 3 on the nes to gba!!!!)

How is the lynx version

Its okay, I just like to throw Lynx references whenever possible. The sprites are huge, but it doesn't move very fast. It feels pretty close to teh original though [also kinda slow] As far as Lynx goes, better of the beat-em-ups.

DDragonPl.gif
DDragonSc.gif

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
DD Advance has got to be the best side scrolling beat 'em up I've ever played. Not kidding. It is amazing. I could play the survival mode for hours. Just juggling and comboing fools...so relaxing. I hadn't played any DD after the original arcade release, and had completely forgotten how much I liked it. I'd take this game over any Final Fight or Streets of Rage ever made. I like it more than Aliens Vs. Predator. That's how big an impression it made on me.

Everything is great in this release: controls, graphics, music, cutscenes... only MGS3 (maybe) beats it for best new game I bought in the last 12 months. And only maybe beats it. I can't believe how long I waited to pick it up, and almost couldn't find it.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I would say this is my favorite beat-em-up, with Streets of Rage 2 being second. This is by far the best tribute to an arcade classic I've ever seen. It plays similar to the old DD, but it's much faster, looks better than the original arcade or any of the console ports, the moves are plentiful and high in combo potential, and it's a great experience throughout. Everything is great about this game, and it is a blessing to a genre that has seen little action in recent years. I would highly recommend.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Double Dragon II Advance needs to come out
on the GBA soon followed by Double Dragon III
Advance but I wish that the games were a lot
longer though because they are very awesome!
beat'em up games. :kekeke: :cool:

Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3 with extra stuff that they left out.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Shawn Carr2o said:

Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2

don t forget super double dragon, i loved that game on the SNES.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
PinkPeach said:
don t forget super double dragon, i loved that game on the SNES.

Oops! :eek: I totally for got to put in
Super Double Dragon. :kekeke:

Double Dragon 5: The Shadow Falls
really sucked as a fighter because it
was based on the american cartoon
& had nothing to do with the other
Double Dragon beat'em up games. :rolleyes: :annoyed: :oh_no: :kekeke:

dark penguin

Kunai said:
I would say this is my favorite beat-em-up, with Streets of Rage 2 being second. This is by far the best tribute to an arcade classic I've ever seen. It plays similar to the old DD, but it's much faster, looks better than the original arcade or any of the console ports, the moves are plentiful and high in combo potential, and it's a great experience throughout. Everything is great about this game, and it is a blessing to a genre that has seen little action in recent years. I would highly recommend.

I love linking an uppercut + chest jump + head beating while kneeling on chest...very satisfying feeling if you can get in more than a few face punches when the guy is down.
It's great that this game actually lets YOU use all the cheap and dirty tactics, instead of letting the CPU get cheap hits in constantly.

All in all, nice to see the love for this game.

dark penguin

Shawn Carr2o said:

Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2

Another DD Advance game would be great.

johnroche

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Shawn Carr2o said:
Oops! :eek: I totally for got to put in
Super Double Dragon. :kekeke:

Double Dragon 5: The Shadow Falls
really sucked as a fighter because it
was based on the american cartoon
& had nothing to do with the other
Double Dragon beat'em up games. :rolleyes: :annoyed: :oh_no: :kekeke:
I have to say the arcade/NeoGeo Double Dragon fighter was much better than DDV, in terms of both gameplay and subject matter. Yeah, I enjoyed the movie, if for no other reason than it didn't take itself too seriously, and it had Alyssa Milano and Robert Patrick.

That, and the cartoon was way too preachy at times. Especially the ironic "hey don't play so much video games" episodes. I mean, yeah, they have a point, but I think it would carry more weight in something not based on a video game.

And how did that Icepick guy not melt? Was his blood that Ice-9 stuff?

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
johnroche said:
I have to say the arcade/NeoGeo Double Dragon fighter was much better than DDV, in terms of both gameplay and subject matter. Yeah, I enjoyed the movie, if for no other reason than it didn't take itself too seriously, and it had Alyssa Milano and Robert Patrick.

That, and the cartoon was way too preachy at times. Especially the ironic "hey don't play so much video games" episodes. I mean, yeah, they have a point, but I think it would carry more weight in something not based on a video game.

And how did that Icepick guy not melt? Was his blood that Ice-9 stuff?

Yeah! I played the Neo Geo Double Dragon fighting
game once at the arcade back in 1995 & it was way
better than Double Dragon V though. :drool: :kekeke: