Do ports of Neo Geo games generally upscale graphics or just use native resolution?

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi everyone,

The Neo Geo has a screen resolution of 320x224. For ports of Neo Geo games on systems capable of higher resolutions, such as KOF'97 (Sega Saturn), or KOF'99 (Dreamcast), are the graphics usually upscaled with some filter added? Or do they just use native resolution usually?

I know for the case of KOF'99 on Dreamcast, it appears the backgrounds were rendered in 3D, but in low resolution so that it matches the sprites. I guess for the Sega Saturn port of KOF'97, non of the artwork was redone and it was just reproduced at native resolution?

I'm guessing when SNK 'reuses' sprites, they don't normally try to redraw them at higher resolutions, but instead just upscale the originals(?).

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The modern/Steam versions tend to use emulators that upscale the graphics. Most of them are using code stolen or licensed from emulators that use stolen code. It's all garbage, really.

Naomi games could output at 240p or 480p depending. That's why a lot of the sprites in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 look like complete dog shit. They're upscaled.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The modern/Steam versions tend to use emulators that upscale the graphics. Most of them are using code stolen or licensed from emulators that use stolen code. It's all garbage, really.

Naomi games could output at 240p or 480p depending. That's why a lot of the sprites in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 look like complete dog shit. They're upscaled.

Ah, I see! I guess they figured bilinear filtering solves everything and called it a day! (^_^);

bulbousbeard

Some of them actually try to have scanlines/filters now, but they're pretty much all garbage compared to what you can get with MAME.

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
I would stick with ps2 posts that output 240p. They look great on crts. Virtual Console is also a great alternative.

bulbousbeard

The PS2 version of Garou, at least, blows. Doesn't run at the same resolution as the Neo Geo (it's cropped like all PS2 Neo Geo ports), doesn't run at the same speed (they forced it to 60hz so it runs faster than the original). It's better in MAME connected to a CRT. As far as Neo Geo games go, no port is even close to what you can get with GroovyMAME.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Just for the fuck of it I think KOF 98 and Samurai Shodown 3 jpn version were both masterpieces of Ports for the playstation one.