diffrences between KoF2000 AES and KoF2000 Dc?

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
i am thinking of getting kof 2000 jap aes, but i am just wondering if there are any significant differences between the AES and DC version? ( i can get the AES for $120, and the DC version for $40)

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Well if it's like the PS2 version...

It will have arranged soundtracks and 3-d backgrounds.

The loading time in 98 sucked but they fixed that in 99, I'm asuming 2000 does not have any significant loading times either.

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
Almost the same...But if your getting the console version get the Dc port

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
Well if it's like the PS2 version...

It will have arranged soundtracks and 3-d backgrounds.

The loading time in 98 sucked but they fixed that in 99, I'm asuming 2000 does not have any significant loading times either.

actually, I was pretty sure the ps2 version was a straight port.
no 3d backgrounds.
as for the DC, expect little load times between rounds during the transititions
not that bad I suppose.
the cover's cool, but I would say the cart cover spanks any cover art of anything

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If you can afford it and seriously want to play the game, get the homecart, the DC port has slow-downs and at least one missing move (Iori's b,b+B back-jump).

The PS2 port is better than the DC one, and yes, both are straight ports.

KOF RUGAL B.

Krauser's Henchman
Of course the AES version is better, but if you are only looking to play the game as a gamer get the DC version.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
roninbuddha said:
are the "new" strikers like the ones in ps2 ver in the dc ver?

That's a negative. The new Strikers, like the Sports Team, Orochi Iori, Orochi Leona, etc., are not in the Dreamcast port. However, the Dreamcast port has an awesome Art Gallery. To unlock pictures in the gallery, you need to complete them in a sliding puzzle. It's good stuff, and it's a much better port than the PS2 version if you ask me. The only thing it is missing is a Survival Mode, but that's not a huge deal.

Also, old backgrounds from previous KOF games (and other SNK games as well) are available in the Practice Mode; they are good for a bit of nostalgia. The only thing Playmore left out is a Skill List that can be accessed for each character. You are going to have to know the characters you play pretty well, or look for a Skill List on the internet. Top everything off with the arranged soundtrack, and you have yourself a great port. You can easily find it for $30 on most online retailers like National Console Support, so it's a great deal. But in the end, get whichever one is more likely to float your boat. :D

Last edited:

sQuareh4t3r

Do it, I dare you. :glee:

But seriously, it's a great port and well worth the $30. Also, the cover art for the Dreamcast version is a lot better than the PS2 version, but maybe not better than the AES art. Regardless, it's awesome.

SEGA_X

Ninja Combat Warrior
squareh4t3r said:
Do it, I dare you. :glee:

the cover art for the Dreamcast version is a lot better than the PS2 version, but maybe not better than the AES art. Regardless, it's awesome.

Amen if you get the DC port 2000 you should also get 2001.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, recommending the DC port for 2001 is very very easy. It's way better. Not to mention one of the coolest bonuses is a puzzle game that is like a crazy cross between puzzle fighter and puyo puyo 4, while not playing quite like neither.

You select from any of the 40 or so characters in 2001, and you go at it. There's of course the ability to go solo, vs. CPU, or vs. another player. The idea, in vs., is to be the first to clear the board. As you clear pieces, you build up power meter. You can use 1 of 2 supers for any single level of bar, or chew up 3 bars for an SDM. Each character, in the game, has their own mix of different style of attacks for their supers and SDM. Some attacks are shared, but the overall combination of attack types are char-specific. Kind of like Puzzle Fighter, when you make an attack, your character is shown making the attack on the opponent, and some effect is done on either yours or your opponent's board. Not all attacks are offensive, some are defensive too. (or meant to help you out instead of hurt the opponent, per se). And given the killer character roster of 2001, there's definitely room to pick from your favorites.

Even so, it's not quite like throwing down in KOF 2001, but the puzzle mode makes one heck of a distraction. Another thing is the copious use of classic KOF stages for the DC versions, which can be used in both Practice and versus (even for KOF 2000). Even neater is that there's certain special things that are only possible on some certain vintage stages. Nothing too game-breaking, but one could possibly take advantage of it. Oddly enough, the PS2 port left all those vintage stages off of those ports. In KOF 2000 DC, you had to complete all puzzles to get the full effect, but if you wanted to see vintage stages in vs. mode, you simply had the challenging player pick a Striker from a series that would call out the stage. Fight in Art of fighting stage from KOF 95? In a Kizuna Encounter stage? Fight in Nakoruru's Samurai Shodown 1 stage? Fight in Kaede's Last Blade 1 stage? Wanna fight on a Metal Slug stage? And in most stages, once you've unlocked everything in puzzle, they come complete with the actual music that played for that stage. KOF 2001 DC had 2 sets of 2001 stages (The special DC versions which typically included parrallax scrolling, and the original arcade ones) plus the vintage stages from various years of KOF, but no vintage music this time. The difference is that the special stages are unlocked much earlier. I don't think there was much of a requirement at all, to get them.

sQuareh4t3r

Kirk Foiden said:
Actually, recommending the DC port for 2001 is very very easy. It's way better.

The port may be much better (and it is), but KOF2001 is definitely not a better game than KOF2000. 'Nuff said.

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I can't help but mention how stupid that puzzle game is on the DC port. I mean, why go through all that work to see the picture when you can just press start to look at it anyways? Either way, the AES and DC has infinitley better controllers than the PS pad, in my opinion.

sQuareh4t3r

snesaes said:
I can't help but mention how stupid that puzzle game is on the DC port. I mean, why go through all that work to see the picture when you can just press start to look at it anyways?

Well, pressing Start only reveals the small portion of the image that you are trying to solve; the bigger image is what you unlock. I personally think that it's worth the time and effort, since KOF2000 had some incredible promo art. Some of that stuff in there (especially Hiroaki's) is just awesome. The Puzzle Mode in KOF2001 on Dreamcast unlocked the Gallery Mode, but who cares? Nona's artwork is better than a lot of stuff out there, but not that stellar as far as KOF's go. It is arguable, though, that her (does anyone know Nona's gender for sure?) work got better in KOF2002. Anyway, I like sliding puzzle games, and being able to listen to the KOF2000 arranged soundtrack while I work on it is just the icing on the cake. :glee:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
The Puzzles in KOF 2000, unlock these things.

The first part, unlocks the secret vintage backgrounds for Vs. play and Practice. (Just not arcade play since the CPU never picks special strikers, just default ones)

The second part unlocks the vintage tunes that go to all those vintage backgrounds. So while, if you completed the first ring of puzzles, you can play on nakoruru's SS1 stage by selecting Nakoruru as a striker; but once you do the 2nd puzzle ring, you can play on that stage AND have Nakoruru's background music playing on it. Same for Kaede's LB1 stage. Same for the Kizuna Encounter stage. Same for the Metal Slug stage. Etc.............................

Needless to say, I'm not picking sides on which KOF is better between 2000 and 2001. I'm just a big KOF fan who has been tight with the series since '95. Besides, I know all about Dorama that is, the big fight on this forum, between 2000 and 2001. It's like split down the middle, with this group.

sQuareh4t3r

Kirk Foiden said:
The second part unlocks the vintage tunes that go to all those vintage backgrounds. So while, if you completed the first ring of puzzles, you can play on nakoruru's SS1 stage by selecting Nakoruru as a striker; but once you do the 2nd puzzle ring, you can play on that stage AND have Nakoruru's background music playing on it. Same for Kaede's LB1 stage. Same for the Kizuna Encounter stage. Same for the Metal Slug stage. Etc.............................

Hrm, that's strange, I am having trouble getting the vintage backgrounds to show up. I have the first and second puzzle sections totally finished, with just a few left to open up in the third. Whenever I go into Practice Mode and set my Striker or the opponent's Striker as one of the guest characters (ie. Fio, Kaede, Nakoruru, etc.), I just get one of the standard KOF2000 backgrounds. Do you have to totally finish the Puzzle Mode to access these backgrounds? Strange, to say the least.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Hmm. Not sure. It's been a long time since I completed them all, and I still have my save files used. I guess I don't remember exactly which order I completed all the puzzles. However, the easiest way is to test it in Practice. Go in and select (for eg. Nakoruru/Fio) as a striker, for both teams, just to see if it shows up.

I'm pretty sure you need 100% puzzle completion for both the Backgrounds and the BGMs. Take note, some of the backgrounds don't have special music for them. The ones I did mention (plus possibly a few others) do.

sQuareh4t3r

Well, I am only two puzzles away from completion, so I will find out if that's what it takes to unlock all of the backgrounds and whatnot. I will post after I get them done and let you know.

EDIT: Well, it does indeed look like you need to complete all of the images in the Puzzle Mode to unlock the backgrounds and the respective music. It seems that there is no in-between; either you unlock everything or you get nothing. Anyway, the backgrounds and the accompanying music is awesome, so it's worth taking the time to clear them if you ask this humble soul. :glee:

Last edited:

sQuareh4t3r

Oh yeah, I also submitted that information to GameFAQs under the KOF2000 DC Codes section. Surprisingly, nobody has offered this information already, so I figured I might as well. That way, other people won't be left scratching their head like I was, and people will have an incentive to finish up those puzzles. :glee: