CVS 2 for a KOF diehard.....Help

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I've played KOF for a few years now and never played any capcom fighter for more than a minute or two. I'm fairly decent at KOF (not great) so I don't need to know super basic things like what a super cancel is or terms etc....

I recently picked up CVS2 for the box and would like to get decent at it so I don't put myself (and the SNK characters I rep) to shame.

My problem is that I try to play this game like KOF and it (obviously) isn't working the only place I feel comfortable is N groove because it has my rolls and my running, but it seems kinda weak. So whats the trick, or more likely whats the basics of this game? :help:

I'm looking to play some Kim on live so any help here would be good. The KOF mentality is so ingrained I'm having quite a bit of trouble.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Tapping based combos are a bit easier in cvs2 cause you can pace it a bit slower with some chars. Like Haoh for example.
Just get a feel for mix ups and shit, and you'll be okay.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Tapping based combos are a bit easier in cvs2 cause you can pace it a bit slower with some chars. Like Haoh for example.
Just get a feel for mix ups and shit, and you'll be okay.

What tapping combos does Haoh have?

Anyways, Kim is all about poking. His bnb combos revolve around his lks. Like you can rush them and do c.lk, c.lk, c.lk, s.lk. Simple 4 hit chain. Some good Kim mixups include s.lk, walk forward a little, s.lk - repeat a couple times. Then do s.hk (hold), hp to initiate one of his stance followups. Lots of times they don't expect the follow up because naturally the lag off of a heavy attack would leave you open for retaliation.

Never use Kim's b, f kick slide. First, you can't combo into it. Second the person can block the first hit and then roll past the second to combo you from behind. If they don't have roll, they can dodge, or parry/JD the second hit. Some simple two-in-ones are his c.mk xx qcb+lk, and his bnb which is c.lk, c.lk, c.lk xx d, u+p. His qcf+k in air move should only really be used if you tiger knee it (meaning, to do qcf then uf + k so it comes up and down very quick to pressure). His d, d+k move is excellent in combos and you can even hold it to initiate a stance to start mixing it up. You can even cancel a super off of it like rushing towards them and doing c.lk, c.lk, s.lk xx d, d+k xx phoenix flattener.

Kim also has an infinity which is incredibly hard to land in a real match. First of all, you have to be in C groove so you get the level 2 cancels. Second, this doesn't work in the Xbox or Gamecube versions. Third, you do it like this:

Level 2 super (qcf qcf+k), cancel it into a d, d+hk
Then hold down hk and do d, d+lp (let go HK), then quickly press hk and hold again - repeat.

It's pretty hard, but you can find a vid of it here

Hope any of this helps.

(I just noticed that I make my longest posts when talking about CvS2 :spock:

ken_dong

Sakura's Bank Manager
Zangief2.gif

:lol:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
What tapping combos does Haoh have?

Pretty sure LWK is reffering to poke strings here. Which we all know is where Haoh's whole game is at :)

KOF to CvS2 is a hell of a trasition if you have little/no experience with Capcom fighters.

N-Groove is definitly not weak though, it has the most options in the game, and you can RC in it. Stay away from S-Groove if you don't want to embarrass your SNK team. At higher level play S gets eaten alive. As far as I know, no decent sized tourny has ever been won by a player using S-Groove. If you are familiar with JDing, I would highly recommend K-Groove. When I play for real, I use K.

I also think that K is great if you are just getting familiar with the game. It lets you concentrate on strategy and the more basic play mechanics of the game, while not getting bogged down with the minor nuances that a groove like N has. Honestly, I don't counter attack/roll much anyways, and K has safe fall, running, and small jump, so it's a good route to take.

If you can't live w/o the roll though, definitly stick to N. Just remember not to get to roll happy and do shit like roll into DM/Super. You WILL get punished. Scrubby rolling is easy to eat up :smirk:

Q-