CPS2 No Signal but Coin Counter Increasing

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hey guys,

I fired up the cab today and am not getting a signal on my on battery CPS2 game. However the counter increase by 5. Did it suicide? I thought the battery had a lot more life let in it. My other CPS2 stuff works fine.

fake

15 Year Member
Update:
The A board doesn't even turn on anymore – no fan, no coin counter.
Switching the B board to a different A board - boots up but no signal.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Check 5v some cps2 boards vary quite a bit in their power consumption.

fake

15 Year Member
Check 5v some cps2 boards vary quite a bit in their power consumption.
Would it suddenly stop working like that? And if that were the issue, wouldn't the game work on my other A board? Also I’m a dummy. How do I check that 5v?

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Some b boards in my collection do draw a tad more. I think it depends on the revision. Basically tou get a wlectrical tester a cheap one will work. Set it to dc 20 volts. Black prong on pin 1 of jamma harness red prong on pin 3 of jamma harness

fake

15 Year Member
Thanks - I ordered one. Really gonna be sad if the b board is fried.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Thanks - I ordered one. Really gonna be sad if the b board is fried.
It could be that your psu needs a recap (or adjustment if you have that option) as it's not putting out sufficient voltage. Try the board in another cab if you can.

fake

15 Year Member
@ChuChu Flamingo I got the voltmeter but am having trouble making contact because of the A board encolusre. Gonna have to get that type of screwdriver and open it up I suppose.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
You can stick your probes where the wires go in. Just be careful not to nick your wires.

fake

15 Year Member
You can stick your probes where the wires go in. Just be careful not to nick your wires.
Thanks - I got it to read 4.86, so you may be onto something. There power supply doesn't have any controls on it, so I'll have to figure out how / if I can adjust it.

Edit - got it. I’ve adjusted it to 5.35 and still no dice. I’m assuming going any higher is dangerous?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thanks - I got it to read 4.86, so you may be onto something. There power supply doesn't have any controls on it, so I'll have to figure out how / if I can adjust it.

Edit - got it. I’ve adjusted it to 5.35 and still no dice. I’m assuming going any higher is dangerous?
Yeah, even 4 and 6 slot MVS boards don't need more than that at the JAMMA edge.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, even 4 and 6 slot MVS boards don't need more than that at the JAMMA edge.
Thanks. I'll dial it back to 5w. FWIW, the motherboard does now work with the other B board I have on hand. I'm hoping this means that the B board just suicided and isn't fried. I have an Infinikey, but does that have to be installed before a board suicides? Or can it serve as an alternative to a phoenixing job?

fake

15 Year Member
For posterity:
I got this board working again the an Infinikey. I believe that the security code was corrupted somehow, because even after installing the Inifinikey at first, I got the same red screen. But after manually draining the caps (and therefore zeroing out the saved security code), it ended up working.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Infinikeys are pretty awesome. It’s too bad they’re sold out everywhere now. At least you only need one to get suicided boards back on battery if you want.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Infinikeys are pretty awesome. It’s too bad they’re sold out everywhere now. At least you only need one to get suicided boards back on battery if you want.
It's basically open source at this point, different project but same function. Or CPICS2 which is just a PIC and bodge wires.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm lucky I had that one. I wish I had it when my AVP died though - ended up phoenixing that one. All of my CPS2 games are now all set (Zero 2 is still on battery but I just swapped it recently) but I'll probably grab a few if they make more.