not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i have:
gameboy
gb color
gba sp (original)
and a ds.

i dont really like playing gba games on my ds. the sound is nice but the blank screen just bothers me. and the fact the games dont fill the screen and tend to blur a bit. plus you cant play gb/gbc games (not a huge factor but i do have quite a few.)

i have the original sp which was great. now not so much. i saw one of the new sp's in person and i was all woahmg.

but im having trouble convincing myself one way or the other to buy one or to just stick with what i have. :help:

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I just had to choose between DS and the brighter SP yesterday....I took the DS, very happy with it. I know you already have one...so I wouldn't bother with the newer SP.

If the blank screen bothers you a lot then I don't know what to recommend. The new SP looks great and is nice and compact...but for 80 bucks...I don't think its worth it for just the screen.

You should sell your original SP on ebay like I did, and then get the newer SP.

(someone bought my old SP with a mad catz case and 3 cheap games for 95 bucks btw)

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Get a micro over a new SP. yeah, it doesnt play old games, but I love mine. It's so small and the d-pad and buttons feel so much better than the SP and DS's

Well worth the monkey.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
but the micro's screen is so tiny.

i wish i knew someone that had it so i could try it out. :(

Rade K

20 Year Member
not sonic said:

If you have farsighted vision, its best to stay away from it. If you vision is sharp (like me), it will be a loved gaming item. It's infinitely more comfortable to game on than SP, but WW twisted doesnt work as well. You will love the buttons. Best GB buttons ever.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
not sonic said:

I would just go to EB and ask to see one lit up....they somtimes have them on display running anyhow.

I think they are too small to be playable...I dont know about you guys, but my hands are larger than a 10 year olds.
The regular SP was the limit for me...any smaller and I would be cramping up trying to play it.... the DS is about right for me.

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
Yeah, I'd say go with the Micro if you've already got an SP and DS. Lovely little things. Mine is my first-choice platform for GBA games at the moment, followed by the SP (old-style), then the DS.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I love my micro. The tighter screen size produces the illusion of higher res(yes, ILLUSION).
The res is the same as the GBA SP, but because it's a bit smaller, it looks a lot smoother, IMHO.

I mean, Gunstar Super Heroes and Astroboy look so damn good on the micro, it's almost sickening :D

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
not sonic said:

Don't bother with the GB Micro, its a gimmick and a waste of money. The fact is that the GBASP2 blows away the micro, with a bright, colorful, and LARGER screen, better ergonomics, bigger dpad and buttons, etc. etc. The screen on the GBASP2 has finally been done the way it should have from day 1, and it looks great. For the micro, you pay $20 more for a cheaper smaller machine (but its so KOOL!! not), just a waste of money. Once you play with the new GBA, you'll trash all your older ones, it puts them all to shame.

As for the DS, the second screen is useless as you pointed out (for GBA games and most DS games too), and the system just doesn't cut it at all compared to the GBASP2. Not worth the money, even at the $99 Target misprice (yes I got that catalog but I still wouldn't bother with it at that price, maybe when it hits $25 I'll check it out).

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
notice how chimp doesnt have a friend code and basically ignores the fact theres better games on DS than GBA.

:shame:

being biased towards hardware is silly, play the games.

I mean even I own an xbox now, :kekeke:

I saw the revised SP with pack-in Donkey Kong Country 3 for $80 at Best Buy. Not bad at all...

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
chimpmeister said:
As for the DS, the second screen is useless as you pointed out (for GBA games and most DS games too), and the system just doesn't cut it at all compared to the GBASP2. Not worth the money, even at the $99 Target misprice

Every game I have for DS uses both screens, I like having maps, inventory lists ect.. on the lower screen. How is it that the DS "just doesnt't cut it at all" ? Thats an extremely jaded comment.

The DS having wifi alone makes it better IMO.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
mario kart and sonic rush make the ds a must have. (i havent played castlevania but i hear its one of the good ones.)

i quite enjoy being able to just push menu options.

i dont think the ds should have to 'prove' itself with every game, making the best use of both screens. i mean, if its got shit going on with both its doing more than something with one screen would.

the real question is when will psp get anything worth playing? :kekeke:

i think im just going to adjust to playing gba on ds. the sound is infinitely better on ds. (stereo simulated surround :buttrock: )

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I picked up Castlevania and Ford Racing last night....both are cool, I havent played a Castlevania in a long time, but I like this one a lot.

bokmeow

I saw the SP screen last night and I have to admit it is impressive. I don't know how they did it, but most of the times you don't even have to turn on the backlit screen in order to see the action on the screen, which is unusual for LCD. My guess is there's an adjustable light intensity for the SP2? one extra bright and one just bright. Too bad I already have an SP1 and DS, as I see no reason to make this impulse buy for the 'omg koll' factor.

bokmeow

I saw the SP screen last night and I have to admit it is impressive. I don't know how they did it, but most of the times you don't even have to turn on the backlit screen in order to see the action on the screen, which is unusual for LCD. My guess is there's an adjustable light intensity for the SP2? one extra bright and one just bright. Too bad I already have an SP1 and DS, as I see no reason to make this impulse buy for the 'omg koll' factor.

Rade K

20 Year Member
If you can get a good trade in value on your old SP, it might be worth the plunge. What's an SP US$79.99. Minus, what $25 on trade in for old SP? So 55 dollars total? Not too bad, but ultimately, we all own too many gameboys now.

I own 4 things that will play gameboy games: DS, SP, Micro and Gameboy played. Kinda sick in the head.

Cant get enough Astro Gunstars

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
bokmeow said:

But see, its not just an 'omg koll' factor, all GBA games actually look great and play WAY better on a bright, colorful, richly saturated screen. The SP2 just blows away all the other GBAs, makes them look like garbage. If you compared the original SP1 to the SP2 side by side, you'd chuck the SP1 in heartbeat, it looks that much worse.

And yes, there are two backlight levels, and both look great . . . the brighter one is sometimes TOO bright, but nice to have as an option if you are playing a darker-styled game like one of the old Castlevanias.

bokmeow

chimpmeister said:
But see, its not just an 'omg koll' factor, all GBA games actually look great and play WAY better on a bright, colorful, richly saturated screen. The SP2 just blows away all the other GBAs, makes them look like garbage. If you compared the original SP1 to the SP2 side by side, you'd chuck the SP1 in heartbeat, it looks that much worse.

And yes, there are two backlight levels, and both look great . . . the brighter one is sometimes TOO bright, but nice to have as an option if you are playing a darker-styled game like one of the old Castlevanias.

Jesus such harsh words. I've seen a good number of LCD and I know the SP2 has a great LCD screen but man, I am not made of money :o

To me that is an 'omg koll' factor that I can not afford to pay for. I already own a SP1 and DS, and the gba games can be played on the DS so \o/

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
The SP2s screen blurs more than the SP1. It reminds me more of a PSP than anything.

Most GBA games aren't fast enough to make it an issue, but it's something to keep in mind. Also, the SP1s screen should be more viewable in sunlight than the SP2, since it's transreflective and frontlit vs. backlit.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Forget the SP get another NGPC system...preferably a slimline crystal blue or yellow.