Consolized Neo Geo issues

Neo Geo MVS consolised issues

Hi,

I bought a very rough mvs consolised. It's a MV1B1 with Neobiosmasta v1.7 and unibios v4.0. It's has a hardconsole supergun v1.1 attached.

MVS:

To be honest, the soldering was some of the worst I've ever seen.

Whoever had made it had stuck the plastic panels on to enclose the boards with a gallon of hot glue.

Took a lot of IPA to clean off all the hot glue and crud on the board.

I also cleaned up the soldering.

There was a missing pad (pin 2 to 'Mask 1' IC) on the board for the neobiosmasta chip enable (ce) connection. I had to remove the 'Mask 1' IC, to trace the connection to the lost pad. The grinding pen was very useful on the trace conformal coating.

I traced it to the test pad below pin 30 on the CPU. I think this is correct but don't know 100%.

Photo:

It looks like the audio is modified for stereo output:

Example: https://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/tuts/MV1B-stereo-mod.jpg

Photo:

It also has a janky scart cable extension. Plugging the scart from the TV directly into the supergun makes no difference.

Any way, without a cart plugged in (I don't want to risk destroying a cart at this stage) it displays weird block and intermittent solid colours. Adjusting the pots on the supergun changes the RGB.

Photos of the issue is here:

I haven't been able to find any info online on the supergun which is ridiculous considering its copyrighted 2021, so only 2 years old.

I've checked the continuity across the board edge connector between the supergun and mvs. No issues.

So does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Did I solder the CE to the correct place (board diagrams are thin on the ground online)?

Does anyone have any info on the supergun?

Some more photos:

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
OK like no offence, welcome to Neo, etc etc etc...

but yeah - albums, champ. Don't link to each individual image. Go to imgur or some place like that, dump all 500 pics you got and then submit 1 link.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If it were me I'd probably just ditch that supergun and buy a decent one. Clean up the board, make the stereo mod not part of the jamma harness (just add RCA jacks or something to the board).

OK like no offence, welcome to Neo, etc etc etc...

but yeah - albums, champ. Don't link to each individual image. Go to imgur or some place like that, dump all 500 pics you got and then submit 1 link.
I've edited my post and used an imgur link.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Those garbled screens are almost certainly signs of a bad bios. I got similar screens on my old CMVS when the Neobiosmasta popped completely off. I think you're on the right track with trying to find a new spot for the CE line. I have a busted MV1B on my workbench at home, I'll try to remember to pull it out and check the continuity to see where you might be able to connect it to.

I'm forgetful, so I probably won't remember, but I'll try!

Those garbled screens are almost certainly signs of a bad bios. I got similar screens on my old CMVS when the Neobiosmasta popped completely off. I think you're on the right track with trying to find a new spot for the CE line. I have a busted MV1B on my workbench at home, I'll try to remember to pull it out and check the continuity to see where you might be able to connect it to.

I'm forgetful, so I probably won't remember, but I'll try!
Thanks mate for the info and that'll be great if you can check the (in my case missing) pad 2 continuity for the Mask 1 IC.

My thoughts are that maybe the chip enable I've connected to the wrong place, so the bios isn't being enabled or it is and the bios chip is bad or the neobiosmasta is bad.