consolized MVS question

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
So I've been lurking on here for awhile, and am about ready to take the plunge into the MVS arena. My question; is it necessary / better to run a consolized MVS unit through a converter if your using a non CRT display?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
That is pretty much personal preference and I'm assuming you are talking about something like a framemeister. You can run a cmvs with whatever output you like be it s-video, component, composite, etc. and everything will be alright but adding that device in the middle can greatly help how it looks on an hdtv. With something in the middle you can get scanlines and other options that will make your system display better but it is not something that must be there or required for gameplay.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I'd say keep your eyes out for a pvm or a decent cheap crt. In all honesty It'll most likely be cheaper than getting a framemeister. If space for another tv is limited, then the upscaler might be better for you. I had one of the original analogue cmvs, I was running it originally on my hdtv through component. It looked decent, colors were pretty good, but after I got a pvm, i never bothered to hook it up to the hdtv again (or any other older system for that matter).

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Unfortunately space is at a premium. I was hoping to run it off my big screen. The framemeister is what I had in mind. I was looking at the omega system. Is that the best consolized MVS?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Unfortunately space is at a premium. I was hoping to run it off my big screen. The framemeister is what I had in mind. I was looking at the omega system. Is that the best consolized MVS?

Yes, the Omega is the bet you can get next to a custom build from JNX

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I just got the Omega and its a fine piece of hardware. Currently, its connected using component cable and the video output is really good. I dont think a framemeister is needed if you are not a videophile and just want to play games.

As for Xian Xi / JNX, I heard he also makes a fine custom cmvs as evident in a quick google search. I dont have a cmvs made by him but had my AES component, s video, stereo, unibios, and LED reset button modded by him and does a fine job on top of great customer service and fast turnaround time. Also, he is a technical guru when it comes to anything neo so if anything ever goes wrong with the hardware, he's the guy I turn to first.

Cant go wrong with either, it all depends on your budget.

Last edited:

BlackFlag

Formerly Lamuna
That is pretty much personal preference and I'm assuming you are talking about something like a framemeister. You can run a cmvs with whatever output you like be it s-video, component, composite, etc. and everything will be alright but adding that device in the middle can greatly help how it looks on an hdtv. With something in the middle you can get scanlines and other options that will make your system display better but it is not something that must be there or required for gameplay.

Great info and very helpful. Do you know which upscaler is the best option price/performance wise?? Thanks in advancement.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
hey Nug, welcome to the boards.

Worth double checking that your CMVS can play on your HDTV, mine only has a RGB Scart output and wont play on my Samsung HDTV. I thought about getting the XRGB mini, but I am not sure if that would cure the problem. In the end I was lucky enough to be given a CRT.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
My opinion is: Omega is the best CMVS you can get if you do not mind it being mass-produced (I know I don't). If you prefer a custom CMVS/Supergun, Jamma-nation-x produces the best ones at a fair price. Also, remember that not all HDTVs can display the component signal of the Neo properly. Composite has no problems and RGB requires a PVM or a SCART connection.

Regards.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Friendly note to anyone who buys an XRGB Mini Framemeister and an Omega! The Component cables from the Omega don't work in the D-Terminal (Component) jack in the back. That seems to be compatible with 480p sources like the Gamecube or PS2. If you want to use an Omega with the XRGB Mini, get the SCART RGB (or RGB 21).

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Hmm, can't edit my post but forgot to add:

The Omega with component output works on some televisions, but not others. I've had no problem running it on older Toshiba TVs, and Panasonics. Some newer Samsungs and LGs have not worked though. If you're planning on taking it to a buddy's house to play, make sure you have the composite cables as a backup! I learned the hard way.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi all, another newbie here. I too am looking to get an Omega CMVS soon, thankfully my Sony LCD (EU model with RGB Scart) is not too bad with the Retro consoles. PS1 looks good, DC is awesome via VGA but my SNES has some strange distortion towards the top of the screen. I like the idea of the scaler because space for a CRT is limited. Is a GONBES CGA/VGA scaler a valid option for a Neo CMVS? Arcade Forge make a sync stripper (sync strike)you can use with RGB Scart input or you can pass component directly into the scaler and transcode output to VGA/Scanline generator.

Alle

n00b
Hi all, another newbie here. I too am looking to get an Omega CMVS soon, thankfully my Sony LCD (EU model with RGB Scart) is not too bad with the Retro consoles. PS1 looks good, DC is awesome via VGA but my SNES has some strange distortion towards the top of the screen. I like the idea of the scaler because space for a CRT is limited. Is a GONBES CGA/VGA scaler a valid option for a Neo CMVS? Arcade Forge make a sync stripper (sync strike)you can use with RGB Scart input or you can pass component directly into the scaler and transcode output to VGA/Scanline generator.

Xrgb Mini framemeister and you are done !

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hmm, can't edit my post but forgot to add:

The Omega with component output works on some televisions, but not others. I've had no problem running it on older Toshiba TVs, and Panasonics. Some newer Samsungs and LGs have not worked though. If you're planning on taking it to a buddy's house to play, make sure you have the composite cables as a backup! I learned the hard way.
Good to know. My main TV is a Samsung, so I may have issues. I have an Asus VG248QE that I use for gaming. Would that work?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Good to know. My main TV is a Samsung, so I may have issues. I have an Asus VG248QE that I use for gaming. Would that work?

It's different TV to TV. It seems to depend on the internal hardware, which can vary greatly depending on the unit.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It's different TV to TV. It seems to depend on the internal hardware, which can vary greatly depending on the unit.

Ok. So I guess I need to wait and see if it works. As a plan B, is there a specific plasma / LCD that's good for the MVS?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Ok. So I guess I need to wait and see if it works. As a plan B, is there a specific plasma / LCD that's good for the MVS?

I mean, it works well on my Panasonic TH-58PH10UK with the component cartridge, but it's probably more cost effective to just buy the SCART RGB and an XRGB Mini?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Skip all the middling additions like Framemeister, and just get a CMVS built by Xian Xi, with VGA output. Done. I think that'd be the best way to go about it if you're intending to use an HDTV from the get-go, and SCART isn't an option.

Also, welcome!

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Skip all the middling additions like Framemeister, and just get a CMVS built by Xian Xi, with VGA output. Done. I think that'd be the best way to go about it if you're intending to use an HDTV from the get-go, and SCART isn't an option.

Also, welcome!

Thanks! That does make more sense, plus the boss always appreciates less gaming stuff in the house. Should be way easier to get away with that!