CMVS RGB Sync

Lamprey

n00b
Hi,

I purchased a Consolized MVS a few months ago and finally had a chance to get it integrated into my setup. I believe it is considered a Time Harvest CMVS, but I'm not 100% what to call it. It is like this one: https://www.timeharvest.net/product...d-usb-gamepad-estimated-delivery-time-20-days

I'm having issues with RGB scart cables for the Genesis model 1 and Master System (from Reto Game Cables and Retro-Access). When connected to my automatic scart switch there is this "pulse" that seems to happen every few seconds and the switch kind of loses sync, almost, then is fine for a couple of seconds and repeat.

I tried with a Genesis composite cable hooked directly to my TV and that worked and I also bought a cheap Genesis model 1 RGB Scart cable from Aliexpress and that works with my scart switch, but the quality isn't as high as I'd like.

What I didn't think about at the time is that the MVS doesn't have a composite signal for CSYNC just TTL if my understanding is correct. However, I was thinking the "consolization" would fix that since it outputs Component and s-video.

But, I was wondering if I just need a cable that is specific to the Neo Geo or if I need to get a sync stripper or mod the console to add in CSYNC?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I didn't know the Sega cable would work with that CMVS.

Yeah, the TTL signal should be attenuated for CSYNC. Pretty standard. I"m guessing that's not it.

What kind of TV/upscaler is your scart switch connected to?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
First of all, don't use Genesis cables on a Neo port. The ports aren't shaped exactly the same. You can make it fit, but it's not good for either the cable or the plug.

That said, I have the same CMVS and it works just fine with my cables. I've used it with both the HD Retrovision component cables with the Neo adapter and the Retro Accessories Neo SCART cable. Never had an issue with either.

Lamprey

n00b
I didn't know the Sega cable would work with that CMVS.

Yeah, the TTL signal should be attenuated for CSYNC. Pretty standard. I"m guessing that's not it.

What kind of TV/upscaler is your scart switch connected to?
I'm hooked via (scart) to an automatic scart switch to a RGB to component converter to my tv (KV-36XBR200)

Lamprey

n00b
First of all, don't use Genesis cables on a Neo port. The ports aren't shaped exactly the same. You can make it fit, but it's not good for either the cable or the plug.

That said, I have the same CMVS and it works just fine with my cables. I've used it with both the HD Retrovision component cables with the Neo adapter and the Retro Accessories Neo SCART cable. Never had an issue with either.
Sounds good. I thought I had read that those CBOXs had a genesis port and were wired the same, but very possible that I'm mistaken.

Just a another fun bit, I tried my sega genesis HD retro vision cable and that seems to work.. Wierd.

I'll look at getting a neo geo specific cable. I just wish retro-access had cables in stock. I love their stuff, but hae pretty much given up on getting cables form them.

Thanks for the heads up!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The pinout is similar, but the actual shape of the pins is different. One is a C shape, one is more like a U shape.

Unless they put the wrong jack on yours, which would be hilarious, but doesn’t help your problem.

Lamprey

n00b
I swear the Neo Geo MVS I have has a Genesis connector (8 pin 262 U style). Do you know what connector it is supposed to have?

The only other connector I know of like that is the C-64. It has a 8 pin din that is 270 C style. I am using those sockets on my Atari consoles that I've modded with s-video so I can get s-video and audio in one cable.

Not sure what the deal is, but the Genesis connectors plug right in.

I'm going to ping the seller I bought it from and see what they say.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A Genesis cable wired for CSYNC will have the TTL attenuation built into the cable. A Neo Geo cable should not have that. This setup in theory is making your sync signal too weak.