CMVS power options?

fisk

n00b
Hey guys,

I am looking at some options for a small form factor way to power a CMVS. I have come across a mini-box pico psu. It is essentially an itty bitty atx/itx power supply. It has a 5v and 12 volt rail. My concern is that it has a 12v input. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding power supplies or if this would damage the board. I am wondering if even though this thing has a 12v input maybe it has a step down to the 5v. Here is a link to the one I am looking at:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80-60W-power-kit

As usual, any assistance or input is greatly appreciated. Have a good holiday weekend.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I usually do a 5V mod to the MVS board and use a 5V 3A voltage regulator with a standard power brick that gives 9V or 12V. It works fine.

L_A_G

n00b
I'm working on a CMVS project myself and I also plan on using a PicoPSU to power the thing. I don't think there should be any issues with the different voltage outputs as I've heard of plenty of other people using ATX PSU's without any issues and the PicoPSU should work completely like any normal ATX PSU. The only thing that I can think of which might cause a problem would be that if you use low amperage 12V power adapter to power the PicoPSU and that leads so to the PicoPSU not being able to provide the amperage needed by the MVS over the 5V rail.

The reason why I say this is that if I recall correctly, the manual on F1Z board (which I don't have at hand right now as I'm not home) says that the maximum draw over the 5V rail 7 amps and the model I've been looking at, a 120W one, can only go up to 8A over the 5V rail at peak and 6A sustained. Here's the manual for the board in question:
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/information/pico-psu-120-manual.pdf

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey guys,

I am looking at some options for a small form factor way to power a CMVS. I have come across a mini-box pico psu. It is essentially an itty bitty atx/itx power supply. It has a 5v and 12 volt rail. My concern is that it has a 12v input. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding power supplies or if this would damage the board. I am wondering if even though this thing has a 12v input maybe it has a step down to the 5v. Here is a link to the one I am looking at:

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80-60W-power-kit

As usual, any assistance or input is greatly appreciated. Have a good holiday weekend.

If you are building a CMVS, why would you go from a 12v to 5v conversion? Just start with 5v and get rid of the ATX PSU. You're adding extra parts that don't need to be there.

fisk

n00b
My thought is its a tiny power supply, and it should handle the board well. And it will fit inside the box I am using. My main concern was frying the board. Just seemed like a good idea. I am open to suggestions. Thank you all for your input!

fisk

n00b
I am confirming that the pico psu from mini box works very well. Here are some pics of one of my completed CMVS's. Again, thank you everyone for your input.

A note about the psu: I believe because this is essentially an "ATX" power supply, pins 15 and 16 need to be jumped together so it thinks its on. That is, pin 16, (PS-ON) needs to be jumped to a ground. I chose pin 15 because it was right next to it.

IMG_3212.JPGIMG_3213.JPGIMG_3214.JPGIMG_3221.JPGIMG_3222.JPG

Last edited: