Cho Aniki: The Gay Shooter

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Homosexuality aside, is it a decent shooter?
I heard the PS2 one was developed by Psikyo.

Neogeofan12

Banned
Ai Cho Aniki for the PC Engine CD was the best one of the series. The rest were either ok or crap.

J. Max

judas,
No. This is one time where the graphics ruined the game.

In all seriousness, they are pretty bad. Collision is always off for some reason.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I've always heard the Saturn one is good - I've never played it.

Personally, I find the non-shooter Cho Aniki games to be some of the better ones.

**edit**

See that, failure to think before speaking rears its ugly head. The Saturn version is the same as the PS1 version which is the same as a turd.

I stand by my statement that the fighter and the card game are good.

The reason I recognized my error was I wikipedia'ed the developer of the games and it seems there's a pattern.

The games developed by Masaya are good (SAT and PS1 are published by Masaya, developed by someone else.) the ones that aren't are trash.

Last edited:

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,

In all seriousness, they are pretty bad. Collision is always off for some reason.

I've never found this to be the case. I don't want to argue aesthetics or anything, but your hit box is pretty clear in the game.

Nothing is as bad as the pseudo-mortal-kombat-motion-capture crap though. I sort of like the Protein's look where creatures are slightly cell shaded and just plain look silly. And isn't that what cho aniki is about?

As for the OP, yes, the PS2 game is a labeled Psikyo game, but not really Psikyo. Still, it's very creative for a shooter. Lots of unique bullet patterns, great music in the later levels, fun and appropriate level design, good for point-whoring, and in my opinion, good to play through a number of times. Plus, the mensbeam is the best executed in Holy Protein, whereas the other games don't milk its hilarity for all it's worth.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Not only that, but the hit box is massive. Combine those two things- the game is hard as hell to get any kind of feel for at all.

Not fun for anything but the novelty.

I own a copy that I keep around for starting conversations.

Uncomfortable conversations.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The Saturn and Turbo-duo versions are great.

That is, if you can get past

ai-cho-aniki6.gif

ai-cho-aniki7.gif

ai-cho-aniki8.gif

ai-cho-aniki9.gif

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
both titles for the PCE rule. I actually like the gfx in Cho Aniki better than the sequel.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Has anybody played the PSP version? Is it worth getting?

Tallahassee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just from reading the title I immediately had an image of a shooter featuring the Ambiguously Gay Duo. I would buy it.

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I picked up the first one for PCE back in September when I was in Japan. Had the 2nd one in my hands and I decided against it at the last moment because I had already bought too many games at that point on my trip.

I look back with gay disappointment at myself for not sacking up and buying it.

I have a blast with the first one though. The enemies and bosses are pretty hilarious. Music gets repetitive though.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The second one (Ai Cho Aniki) is better than the first

Forgotten_Freshness

(aka FFClassicGaming)
Unfortunately I think Ai Cho Aniki is the one I am missing (PC Engine). I have the PS1 and PS2 versions as well as the fighter for SNES, but I mostly keep these around as conversation pieces. :lolz:

Really funny when someone is digging through your imports and you see their face turn white like they're afraid to ask the question of "what the hell are you into?!".

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
The super gay themes never bothered me, I always lul'd, it was the fact that these men have giant gaping holes in their heads that weirded me out.

Looks painful...