Cancel Culture & Redemption

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I’ve been hearing backlash against this mainly from the right. It seems both ironic and hypocritical though to me because they are the ones who seem to do it the most.

One key difference between the two sides is it that people on the left appear to have a shorter attention span, maybe they’re more forgiving I don’t know. They boycott and demonstrate against something over the weekend and then they move on to the next issue that grabs their attention. Then they frequently go back to patronizing the business or being acquaints with that person the next week.

People on the right usually seem more hellbent on wanting to destroy things. They don’t give up until a business is bankrupt and shuttered or a person’s life is in total shambles and even then, they don’t relent.
More than a cancel culture we have a punishment culture. Besides having one of the world’s largest incarceration rates we love judging, gossiping and punishing others. Frequently for no good reason at all.

The reason why I bring this up is because it raises several questions like what responsibilities and roles do companies and corporations have in the process?

I would say not much, people are hired and employed to do a job. The position should go to the most skilled and qualified person for it. It can be kind of rough though to conduct business when 1,000 people block the front door of your business.

Remember Monica Lewinsky? She made some poor choices at a very young age. Several “where are they now” type articles popped up in the last several years and she was basically unable to find gainful employment for almost twenty years.

In todays world of portable inexpensive technology this is hyper sensationalized, we can now distribute anything a person has ever said or done in public or private and videotape and take a pictures of it.

As a society we need to answer when can a person be forgiven and redeemed? Is it after they’ve apologized or fulfilled their punishment or are some actions and people unforgivable and unredeemable?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As a society we need to answer when can a person be forgiven and redeemed? Is it after they’ve apologized or fulfilled their punishment or are some actions and people unforgivable and unredeemable?

In my early 20s I realized how ridiculous it is to judge someone on something they mentioned 20 years ago. It's one of the reasons I crusade against wikipedia articles' Controversial sections, because they dedicate an entire person's life to half a page and the other half to something they mentioned once at a party a long, long time ago.

It'll be interesting what politicians will surface in 20 years with people's entire lives played out on social media now.

PS Was Virginia governor Northam really the guy in blackface or was it a yearbook fuckup? Because I got miscredited in my yearbook once.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I thought he admitted it and shrugged it off.

Sometimes (sadly) that's what you gotta do, when you feel bad and apologize people will keep bringing it up.

In some aspects this racial appropriation thing has gotten out of hand. SNL had a skit saying it was not OK under any circumstances.
I could swear Armisen darkened his hair a bit and wore some bronzer when he did his Obama impression. Gotta say it was spot on.

I googled it, it was a thing.
https://blavity.com/snl-is-being-ca...-using-it-for-decades?category1=race-identity

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Fuck anyone who tries to ruin lives based on perceived slights. People who go after your employer because you said something subjectively bad in their twisted moral system are pieces of shit.

No ifs or buts about it.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Blackface is minstrelism (to coin a word), it is not simply wearing makeup to look black. If you wear makeup to look like Obama, so that you can play Obama on a sketch comedy show it is no different than putting on powder white makeup and a red foam nose to play a clown or a red face and horns to play the devil. You could complain that the show needs more and more diverse cast members but there is never never enough people to play the variety of people in current events. Get good impersonation comics and put then in costumes, including makeup.

Was Chapelle doing whiteface funny?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Redemption is what separate us from operating a hell on earth and a gateway to heaven. We have to allow people to grow and be better. No matter how much fun it is it watch them melt down.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
People tend to get caught up in the outrage of the day then it's on to the next. If you dig deep enough, everyone has a skeleton or two in the closet. Then you have the spineless enablers of abuse who keep quiet until the cat is out of the bag. What annoys me is relatively minor shit gets lumped in with the Weinstein and Bill Cosby level
stuff and the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" gets flipped on its head.

Cancel culture and political polarization keep the rubes occupied while the rich get richer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
People tend to get caught up in the outrage of the day then it's on to the next. If you dig deep enough, everyone has a skeleton or two in the closet. Then you have the spineless enablers of abuse who keep quiet until the cat is out of the bag. What annoys me is relatively minor shit gets lumped in with the Weinstein and Bill Cosby level
stuff and the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" gets flipped on its head.

Cancel culture and political polarization keep the rubes occupied while the rich get richer.

What we have learned is that there are those who play by the rules and those who don’t have to. Guys like Franken who let a mob of angry women run him out did no favors for his party.

Then you got guys like Trump who get accused by many women and his response to always deny ignore, even when evidence is clear. His party enables him. The other party is rotting under the weight of the rules that no one else follows.

So it’s kind of interesting that we aren’t seeing this in Hollywood. Spacey is basically playing the strong hand in response to that guy who accused him of coming on to him at a party (when he was in Spacey’s bedroom), but he doesn’t have any support from the rest of Hollywood. Weinstein tried to ignore and wait it out, but that didn’t work, and Tarantino’s last film is basically about #metoo-ism. Weinstein’s own golden child turned on him (and Lena Dunham was in the film too; why not include Rose McGowan too?).

I wonder, why is it that the rules exist as they do, and that they are so inconsistently applied.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I thought he admitted it and shrugged it off.

Sometimes (sadly) that's what you gotta do, when you feel bad and apologize people will keep bringing it up.

In some aspects this racial appropriation thing has gotten out of hand. SNL had a skit saying it was not OK under any circumstances.
I could swear Armisen darkened his hair a bit and wore some bronzer when he did his Obama impression. Gotta say it was spot on.

I googled it, it was a thing.
https://blavity.com/snl-is-being-ca...-using-it-for-decades?category1=race-identity

Living in VA, I have to say that ppl are still pissed at Northam about the whole incident, but guess what? He's still getting support from Black voters because he showed them that he was fucking sorry and that he wanted to keep working for their interest. Ppl who deserved to be cancelled should be (anyone who works for Rupert Murdoch or crazies and etc) but I agree, ppl who've fucked up 20 yrs ago deserve a chance to redeem themselves.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Living in VA, I have to say that ppl are still pissed at Northam about the whole incident, but guess what? He's still getting support from Black voters because he showed them that he was fucking sorry and that he wanted to keep working for their interest. Ppl who deserved to be cancelled should be (anyone who works for Rupert Murdoch or crazies and etc) but I agree, ppl who've fucked up 20 yrs ago deserve a chance to redeem themselves.

Ralph Northam is not bad. In fact, I would take it further and say VA is better now than it was when LoneSage and I lived there, and Warner was running things.

Blackface is stupid now, but back in the 1980s, which is 30 to 40 years back whether you want it to be or not, things were way different. We literally had a movie about a white dude who was given a scholarship to attend Harvard as a black dude, so he took pills to become black and attend. Literally. We had a lot of cartoons aired on tv still with tarbaby characters displayed, or bugs bunny with blackface. We know that shit is hurtful now, but people were way different then.

Hell, people were way different in the 1990s even. Try watching Friends (or just take my word for it) and spot all the homophobic jokes. A few episodes of In Loving Color can give a millennial meningitis. Our senses are different, people can change, and I think Northam is not a guy who will wear blackface as a joke or otherwise today.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Ralph Northam is not bad. In fact, I would take it further and say VA is better now than it was when LoneSage and I lived there, and Warner was running things.

Blackface is stupid now, but back in the 1980s, which is 30 to 40 years back whether you want it to be or not, things were way different. We literally had a movie about a white dude who was given a scholarship to attend Harvard as a black dude, so he took pills to become black and attend. Literally. We had a lot of cartoons aired on tv still with tarbaby characters displayed, or bugs bunny with blackface. We know that shit is hurtful now, but people were way different then.

Hell, people were way different in the 1990s even. Try watching Friends (or just take my word for it) and spot all the homophobic jokes. A few episodes of In Loving Color can give a millennial meningitis. Our senses are different, people can change, and I think Northam is not a guy who will wear blackface as a joke or otherwise today.

Whoa, you guys lived there??? Warner must've been weird at that time. Do tell since I'm still new to this place (but I will say, I am liking it a bit more than FL despite the cost of living).

Agreed, BFace and even homophobia was way more tolerated back then. Rewatching Friends was kinda crazy because MAN, Friends today would just not work. I'm just glad to see that there's this overall sea change.

The movie you mentioned previously, was that Soul Man?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
It seems to me the complaints about Song of the South (from what I've read on the net) are that the movie doesn't show clearly enough that it takes place post civil war. IIRC Uncle Remus is was somewhat respected had his own place and was free to come and go as he pleases. This gives the appearance of the movie romanticizing slavery.

I bought a bootleg Tex Avery DVD boxset. I was looking for it for awhile on laserdisc and finally gave up. I watched a disc of it so far, It's pretty bad.:lolz:

One short appeared to show a country girl turning of age. Billy Bob Bumpkin was courting her and then a dude from New York pulls up in his fancy car.

He's like come to city, I'm rich ..Ill take real good care of you baby and give you a million shirts. She hops in his car and they drive off.

They get to his place and he owns a dry cleaners. Then he says there's your million shirts now get to work bitch.

No they shouldn't be on in the morning for kids to watch but they should somehow be preserved. It's important to remember where you came from when you are looking at there you want to go.

They were cartoon shorts people used to watch before the movie started.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Whoa, you guys lived there??? Warner must've been weird at that time. Do tell since I'm still new to this place (but I will say, I am liking it a bit more than FL despite the cost of living).

Agreed, BFace and even homophobia was way more tolerated back then. Rewatching Friends was kinda crazy because MAN, Friends today would just not work. I'm just glad to see that there's this overall sea change.

The movie you mentioned previously, was that Soul Man?

Yes, definitely Soul Man.

As for VA, there was always a negative atmosphere of knowing that the tax money generated from NoVa was going to fat white southern VA and Richmond, who didn’t deserve anything. Now the feeling has subsided but there used to be vitriol against the conservative parts of VA for simply being hypocritical leeches.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Now the feeling has subsided but there used to be vitriol against the conservative parts of VA for simply being hypocritical leeches.

I wonder how much traction 'Vexit' will gain. After the success of 'second amendment sanctuary cities' nothing can surprise me anymore.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I wonder how much traction 'Vexit' will gain. After the success of 'second amendment sanctuary cities' nothing can surprise me anymore.

Wondering that myself. We're pretty happy that NoVA's democrats have taken back the Legislature, but lots of challenges remain.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
2008 is the cut off point in skin darkening (though overly stereotypical depictions are always racist). That was the year the Robert Downey JR. was nominated for an oscar for Tropic Thunder.

Anything before that, and you can claim ignorance.
How was I supposed to know that it was racist and offensive???? Robert Downey was nominated for an Oscar!

I wonder how much traction 'Vexit' will gain. .

The Vexit campaign of 1861?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is crazy to think that in 1982, George Wallace received 90% of the Black Vote.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It would have been really, really stupid for Northam to resign. There are no rules now and the Democrats learned that after the SNL guy resigned. This is the new normal.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It would have been really, really stupid for Northam to resign. There are no rules now and the Democrats learned that after the SNL guy resigned. This is the new normal.

The SNL guy was pretty bad.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are you suggesting that Northam should have been removed?

No, I just find the whole thing to be kafkaesque.

Can't get rid of the governor because the LG in line is a rapist.
Even if they get rid of the Governor and the LG, the next in line also has a history of skin darkening.