Book club

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm scared to read books ever since i read Tolkiens Lord of the Ring and The Hobbit. Nothing will ever come close to these...
lol pathetic

I remember feeling that way. That the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings were the best books I'd ever read, and I remember being absolutely certain nothing would ever come close to them.

Back when I was in the fifth grade.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I didn't enjoy LOTR and Dune was eyerollingly boring.

A lot of the things listed in here seem way too much like adult reads. Give me my junk food fun reads please.
Dashiel hammett
Raymond chandler
Agatha christie
Terry pratchett
Ray bradbury
Nick pollotta
Douglas adams

Though i will say as far as more serious titles go, all three books by Junichi Saga were fantastic non-fiction, so i would recommend those.

Erik larson writes amazing non-fiction books about murderers and the time period and technology that allowed the killer to be successful/ eventually caught too. Especially the Devil in the White City. Super cool book.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I didn't enjoy LOTR and Dune was eyerollingly boring.

A lot of the things listed in here seem way too much like adult reads. Give me my junk food fun reads please.
Dashiel hammett
Raymond chandler
Agatha christie
Terry pratchett
Ray bradbury
Nick pollotta
Douglas adams

Though i will say as far as more serious titles go, all three books by Junichi Saga were fantastic non-fiction, so i would recommend those.

Erik larson writes amazing non-fiction books about murderers and the time period and technology that allowed the killer to be successful/ eventually caught too. Especially the Devil in the White City. Super cool book.
I second devil in the white city was a fantastic read

Also I recommend the original Jurrassic park book.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I seldom read anymore, but, I used to like short story collections--lots of variety in manageable chunks. Horror/Fantasy ones, edited by Ellen Datlow, were among my favorites.

The last thing I actually read was a Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck comic book.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dashiel hammett
Raymond chandler
The Glass Key by Hammett is fantastic. Maybe his best.

The Long Goodbye is probably my favorite by Chandler. Also his collection of short stories, The Simple Art of Murder, which includes a weird one called Pearls Are a Nuisance.

If you like Chandler, you might like his literary descendant Robert B. Parker. He wrote a series of books about a private detective named Spenser, which that old 1980s tv series Spenser For Hire is kind of based on. He started in the 1970s and basically wrote a new one every year until he died. They get questionable by the 2000s, but the first dozen or so are great in a junk food way.

Also in the great junk food category is the Modesty Blaise series by Peter O'Donnell. 11 novels, 2 short story collections, all fucking fantastic. About a female international crime boss who made a fortune then retired to England still in her 20s. Crazy spy/thief-type action, but very solid characters.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Awesome, even more shit for the list. My list was actually getting rather low, so i appreciate it!!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Read 2 more.

Talking to girls about duran duran by rob sheffield- the concept that you could strike up common ground with any woman by discussing Duran Duran was already rather dated when the book released in 2010 and by 2021 is completely bullshit. Also this dude is a fucking cuck. Got laid approximately one time by the age of 24 by his own admittance. Also the way he talks about worshipping women is cucklord territory. Boring book, shitty premise. This guy is no Chuck Klosterman.

Piranesi by susanna clarke- mind fuck occurring inside of labyrinthine halls kinda like castlevania architecture surrounded by the ocean. This book is good as fuck and is major departure from her already incredible previous book Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
lol pathetic

I remember feeling that way. That the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings were the best books I'd ever read, and I remember being absolutely certain nothing would ever come close to them.

Back when I was in the fifth grade.
Agree. The main problem is no one is fucking in these books. Good children's stories but cmon Bill you fagit, read a book for adults.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Walter B. Gibson
Robert E. Howard
These guys wrote mostly for pulp magazines and their characters ended up in lots of other media like comic books

H. G. Wells
Johnathan Swift
Charles Dickens

Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Anton Chekhov
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Leo Tolstoy

I'll be the first to say that a lot of Russian literature can be a hard read, but if you can get past it and dig in it's worth it.

I know you were asking for books but I usually think of authors way before I think of individual books.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
OP is 10, at least intellectually, so

Boxcar Children and Goosebumps

Hatchet, The Giver, and The Cay for more advanced 5th graders.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
OP is 10, at least intellectually, so

Boxcar Children and Goosebumps

Hatchet, The Giver, and The Cay for more advanced 5th graders.

Maybe in whatever pond you spawned from those books are suitable for a 10 year old, but by that age we were already covering The Merchant of Venice and Animal Farm over here.

I‘ve enjoyed Dune and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest because of this thread. It’s interesting to see what other members here like to read. I might try some Philip K Dick next.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
We just got a couple of books for our birthday from my father in law. I just started "The Berkut" and so far I'm enjoying it. She got "Lexicon" and i have heard of it but haven't checked it out. May end up reading it before her.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Thanks dude, I found a book for you too

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I recently finished Triplanetary, the chronologically first Lensman book. I’m now on Operation Trojan Horse by Keel.