blu ray disc is unplayable

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
It's very strange that few of blu ray movies I purchased in the early days are unplayable.

I was trying to watch "Speed" last night and none of my blu ray players (sony or samsung) could detect the disc.

I do have few DVD movies are unplayable after long period of time (no water damage, surface sratches, direct sunlight, etc.....)

I thought blu ray disc has special coating but it seems like disc will go bad eventually.........

I start worrying about my PC Engine CD/SCD games............:(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never heard of a bluray suffering from disc rot. However, there have been a LOT of mastering issues with discs, and I frequently see companies that have disc replacement programs to replace faulty discs. The first bluray release of Speed was well known for being defective right out of the box. Some players would play them, some wouldn't, some people got them to work by updating their bluray player's firmware, others never got it to work at all and had to call Fox for a replacement.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Fox_Offers_Speed_Replacement_Discs/372

That is from 10 years ago, no idea if they still do the replacement now. If it were me, I'd just toss it and just buy a newer release version, it's a pretty cheap movie.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've heard rumors of older media being prone to disc rot, but I've never seen it personally. The only disc based media I've seen that really went bad over time was the fault of faulty manufacturing. Laserdiscs have a problem where the glue separates between two sides causing rot, but if you have a good disc from a good pressing plant it will last forever. Likewise, I have had some Warner HD-DVDs die on me, that company's pressings were notoriously crappy and died within 5 years, while all other HD-DVDs from other companies are just fine.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I bootlegged a movie on a DVD+R back in 2003. it sat in a case for years in my attic, then my garage, until I found it a few months ago. Popped it in my DVD player and still works just fine.

Like Gohan said, I'm going with "Mastering" issue, and not disc rot.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Would be funny if they turned out to be HD-DVD's.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I've never heard of a bluray suffering from disc rot. However, there have been a LOT of mastering issues with discs, and I frequently see companies that have disc replacement programs to replace faulty discs. The first bluray release of Speed was well known for being defective right out of the box. Some players would play them, some wouldn't, some people got them to work by updating their bluray player's firmware, others never got it to work at all and had to call Fox for a replacement.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Fox_Offers_Speed_Replacement_Discs/372

That is from 10 years ago, no idea if they still do the replacement now. If it were me, I'd just toss it and just buy a newer release version, it's a pretty cheap movie.

I remember some faulty blu ray movies having framing issues are: The Fugitive & first pirates of the caribbean
I either toss them away to buy newer version later or get replacement disc from the company

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
maybe it's how you're storing them. is the place of storage/shelves near radiators?. i've still got dvds from the early to mid 2000' all scratched up and damaged that still play fine. i doubt that it's disc rot. discs are supposed to last a life time. hell, i've even got vhs tapes that still play fine.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
maybe it's how you're storing them. is the place of storage/shelves near radiators?. i've still got dvds from the early to mid 2000' all scratched up and damaged that still play fine. i doubt that it's disc rot. discs are supposed to last a life time. hell, i've even got vhs tapes that still play fine.

Only one DVD and two blu ray discs are unplayable so far.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Probably a disk mastering error as Gohan mentioned. The Jurassic Park box set I own has a defective pressing of the original movie.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I got lots of HD-DVDs that no longer play, and pretty sure most if not all are Warner movies. Some still had the shrink wrap on them it's just crappy media when Warner made them. When they were still being sold in stores I got them to replace some discs by contacting the company but those replacements died too :-)

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Well i dont think CDs are gonna last that long but Bluray is specifically designed to last decades....like more then 100 years i think

Tanooki

War Room Troll
One day our copy of Bolt died. That really flipped my little girl out as she loves animals and it's a favorite. No reason, not a mark, scratch, scuff or smudge on it -- it just fails. It will load from the system menu(ps3 or 4) but as it tries to jump into the chapter sequence for the preview BS it goes to black. Can't bypass it, can't FF through or scan around it, it just died. Blew my mind, never had that happen on any disc I've ever had.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

that happened with my copy of sunshine. 4 year old disc: replaced no questions asked.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Back in late 2005, I was laying out a series retrospective article and needed to screencap some frames from a DVD that had come out in early 2003. So, I grabbed the two-year old DVD off my shelf that I'd only ever watched once prior to that and found that it wouldn't read in my PC's disc drive. I took it out and flipped it over...and the bottom of the disc looked like it had almost completely oxidized. What makes it kind of creepy is that said disc was... The Ring.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Criterion actually had a major issue with that awhile back that resulted in tons of disc rot. I'm not too worried about blus in general at this point, though. I keep telling myself to rip every DVD I own because I've already had a few go bad, and I think DVDs in general may be entering into the timeframe where they start to go bad.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
One thing that was surprising to me is that BluRay seems like it would be more fragile. I mean, you can see through the discs. I never noticed it before, then I noticed on one that wasn't working. But all my discs are like that. The reason why it wasn't working was because it was one that tries to go online to download trailers and my internet had a hiccup.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
One thing that was surprising to me is that BluRay seems like it would be more fragile. I mean, you can see through the discs. I never noticed it before, then I noticed on one that wasn't working. But all my discs are like that. The reason why it wasn't working was because it was one that tries to go online to download trailers and my internet had a hiccup.

I don't have my region free LG blu-ray player hooked up to the internet at all, so it'll just display a message that no internet connection is found when playing stuff from Warner Bros.

You can also set in the PS3 to disable loading an internet connection for Blu-Ray discs, but I have found that that does cause issues sometimes...as will trying to skip certain trailers. There is just too much crap frontloaded on some discs.