Biz Markie Passes at 57

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Unfortunately, it looks like even if he isn't dead, he's in hospice care which means it's only a matter of time. Guess he went in to a diabetic coma last year. Goddamn shame. The Diabolical One is one of those guys who is famous for being a one-hit wonder but was a multi-talented hip hop savant. Dude could scratch, beatbox, write and rap,

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
For whatever reason I never really followed this guy but he comes up in conversation about hip hop constantly. Just the other day, I heard him mentioned in a video about “the bells” which he claims he has a bell-less version of. He is also the only guy in the world (I think?) with a set of Tech 12s cut down to work with 7”s. Loved by many.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Where did we hear that he’s in hospice? Last I heard, he was making good progress. Hope he can pull through.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Where did we hear that he’s in hospice? Last I heard, he was making good progress. Hope he can pull through.

Had a stroke, same as what killed StealthLurker. Fucking terrifying. Here one minute, gone the next.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Gotcha. Damn it... Always loved Biz. Would be dope if a miracle occurred.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
For whatever reason I never really followed this guy but he comes up in conversation about hip hop constantly. Just the other day, I heard him mentioned in a video about “the bells” which he claims he has a bell-less version of. He is also the only guy in the world (I think?) with a set of Tech 12s cut down to work with 7”s. Loved by many.
Yeah he is awesome. Unfortunately he is often thought of as joke or 1 hit wonder by people that don't follow good hip hop. His collaborations, of which there are many are always great and he really just oozed a sense of fun and irreverent humor that is sorely lacking in modern rap.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
There are two hip hops. The one with Aesop Rock and the one with A$AP Rocky. Those in the know, know. One’s fame in hip hop is almost always inversely proportional to one’s talent and skill. Gab never had a major hit. Nobody on Quannum Projects ever has except maybe Shadow. Nobody knows Saul Williams, Doomtree, Mr Lif, etc. Everyone knows MC Hammer, Kris Kross, Vanilla Ice, etc. If a rapper is well recognized by the public at large it’s almost always as a joke or because of their criminal record. Even when someone has had a long career with a few hits, usually it’s only the most disposable/novel stuff that they made that hits big, like with Mix A Lot, for example, who honestly made some pretty killer shit and is only famous for a song about butts.

“And if your record goes platinum, it’s got nothing to do with luck.
It just means that a million people are stupid as fuck.” - Immortal Technique.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thes One been having acetates of the bell-less Mardi-Gras break.

But yeah, 1) Biz being in hospice sucks
2) This rules
3) My favorite Biz tune is ‘Kim’…DJ Cool V and Biz Markie looped the *dusty* jawns too, not just the novelty shit

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
There are two hip hops. The one with Aesop Rock and the one with A$AP Rocky.

“And if your record goes platinum, it’s got nothing to do with luck.
It just means that a million people are stupid as fuck.” - Immortal Technique.
Indeed.

However there is a lot of great rap that crosses over or at least gain some larger traction. Run the Jewels, bunch of dudes from Wu, Mos Def, Redman, The Roots etc.

Shit look at Common. His first 2 albums are solid but nowadays most people don't even know that he was a legit rapper at one point.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was told this is the best thing Biz ever did. I don't know if I agree but it's damn funny:

edit: ha didn't see it was posted in the first post, but whatever, it stays!

Best thing by Biz Markie not actually by him:

I guess Ace said Biz was supposed to do the song and couldn't show up so he just imitated his voice himself (imitated it well too!). Biz of course approved.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Hope biz can recover but if it's really bad it will take a miracle i assume.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
People don't recover from hospice. And anyone who does recover will be a vegetable for as long as they live. It would be best to pass away.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
A remembrance by MC Esoteric:

“Before being real meant middle finger poses and gun charges, Biz was the most authentic representation of hip-hop alive. The “it” factor was heavy with Biz: rhymes, the beatbox, the production, the djing, the overall energy ….everything was IT.

The way some kids thought about going to Disney, I thought about going to the Albee Square Mall, thx to Biz. As a kid, he allowed me to share hip-hop with my old man, and as an old man, he allowed me share hip-hop with my kid.

You know when you play music for someone and it feels as if there’s so much riding on the experience? When you really want this person to love it like you? I remember playing Pickin’ Boogers (a master class in story-telling) for my father when it came out.

We were in his old Buick, headed to my grandmother’s in Dorchester (an apartment we retreated to if the dishes were really flying at home). I remember the hair raising on my arms as I put it all on the line, ejecting my dad’s Rolling Stones tape in favor of my Biz tape. Pickin’ Boogers played, and he liked it enough that we let the tape rock, and Albee Square Mall played next, and so on. What a breakthrough!

I can play Biz Markie in the car!! That led to Kane, EPMD, Stet, Jungle Brothers, etc …it wasn’t until decades later that I found myself sharing the same Pickin Boogers record with my son, hoping once again that we’d keep Biz in rotation on car rides.

After all, this was no longer MY hero Biz Markie from my bedroom wall, this was HIS guy Biz Markie from Yo Gabba Gabba, a brilliant TV show for kids. I brought my son to see Yo Gabba live, and as Biz spoke to all the kids, live on stage, encouraging them to beatbox with him, I couldn’t help but tear up.

This guy, who influenced me so much through his gift, to the point I dedicated my entire life to this music, was now speaking to my son in the same language. He did it by being himself. He was 100% Biz all the time. A true original. RIP BIZ MARKIE, an unmistakable voice in hip-hop, gone far too soon…and btw, “Goin’ Off” is a 5 mic album. #BizMarkie #NobodyBeatsTheBiz

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I always felt I needed my inhaler when I heard him rap. Same with Biggie.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
A remembrance by MC Esoteric:

“Before being real meant middle finger poses and gun charges, Biz was the most authentic representation of hip-hop alive. The “it” factor was heavy with Biz: rhymes, the beatbox, the production, the djing, the overall energy ….everything was IT.

The way some kids thought about going to Disney, I thought about going to the Albee Square Mall, thx to Biz. As a kid, he allowed me to share hip-hop with my old man, and as an old man, he allowed me share hip-hop with my kid.

You know when you play music for someone and it feels as if there’s so much riding on the experience? When you really want this person to love it like you? I remember playing Pickin’ Boogers (a master class in story-telling) for my father when it came out.

We were in his old Buick, headed to my grandmother’s in Dorchester (an apartment we retreated to if the dishes were really flying at home). I remember the hair raising on my arms as I put it all on the line, ejecting my dad’s Rolling Stones tape in favor of my Biz tape. Pickin’ Boogers played, and he liked it enough that we let the tape rock, and Albee Square Mall played next, and so on. What a breakthrough!

I can play Biz Markie in the car!! That led to Kane, EPMD, Stet, Jungle Brothers, etc …it wasn’t until decades later that I found myself sharing the same Pickin Boogers record with my son, hoping once again that we’d keep Biz in rotation on car rides.

After all, this was no longer MY hero Biz Markie from my bedroom wall, this was HIS guy Biz Markie from Yo Gabba Gabba, a brilliant TV show for kids. I brought my son to see Yo Gabba live, and as Biz spoke to all the kids, live on stage, encouraging them to beatbox with him, I couldn’t help but tear up.

This guy, who influenced me so much through his gift, to the point I dedicated my entire life to this music, was now speaking to my son in the same language. He did it by being himself. He was 100% Biz all the time. A true original. RIP BIZ MARKIE, an unmistakable voice in hip-hop, gone far too soon…and btw, “Goin’ Off” is a 5 mic album. #BizMarkie #NobodyBeatsTheBiz

I feel pretty much the same way about the recently RIP Gift of Gab. He was my gateway drug to real hip hop. He pretty much single handedly reframed my outlook of the whole genre…and other things, him and Saul Williams probably. Now my 6 year old insists on playing 4th Dimensional Rocketships every time we’re in the car and I’m not bothered.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
He was definitely one of a kind and was one of the main reasons why I got into beatboxing...something I still do to this day.

A legend indeed, may he rest in peace.