BIG6 Control Pad for SEGA Genesis

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Anyone bought one of those? I did and it feels good to use but I'm having troubles playing some CD games. In Thunderhawk, I can't let the heli climb with the usual hold-C-and-Up command, just keeps beeping.

They say it has the official Sega approval, why can't they properly test their stuff?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I don’t have this particular model but I have a retrobit regular transparent blue genny pad. Zero issues with it.

I guess they just have poor quality control

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just don’t have a soft spot for the big controller. I’d rather get the normal six button.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Do you have the same issue with a regular 6 button pad? Some games had incompatiblies with the 6 button pad don’t exactly remember which ones

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
No, the regular 6-button works with the game. I've also tried playing in 3-button mode, doesn't work either.

It's not a huge prob but I think they should have tested the thing more thoroughly.

I was an early MD adopter and got used to the big 3-button pads. I have quite big hands so they're a snug fit. The price of the BIG6 is very reasonable IMO so I thought why not getting a big pad with six buttons. Works very good overall, the flat start button takes a while getting used to but it's okay.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I bought 2 of their translucent pink controllers (one genesis and one saturn). It was for the benefit of cancer research. I only ever unpacked the genesis one.
It doesn't work on an actual genesis/MD . But it does work on my Retron5. The controller connector just feels a bit to thick.
Those were the last products I ever bought from them. (Well except from some game releases)

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Works very good overall, the flat start button takes a while getting used to but it's okay.

I bought the USB version of one of these about a week ago and the start/mode button placement are my biggest complaints. Why they decided to implement them the way they did is a real head scratcher.

Their regular 6 button Genesis and Saturn pads had the face buttons flipped when using on a PS3 or Switch (which made them totally useless to me). According to the manual for this they addressed this with a macro you could hold down to change the buttons back to their proper layout. I hadn't had a chance to try that yet but hopefully it works properly now.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I bought the USB version of one of these about a week ago and the start/mode button placement are my biggest complaints. Why they decided to implement them the way they did is a real head scratcher.

I agree with you about the mode button, it's placed where the right index finger sits and is easily accidentally triggered during play. That's okay with older games but some of the newer ones actually put some options on there which can make things difficult.

The start button sits on the same position where the old one on the og 3-button pads used to be, it's just flat because otherwise it would be in the way when using the X and Y buttons.

However, it being flat brings in new problems. I didn't have a 6-button pad for a while when I bought SF2 back in the day so I played it with the standard pad where pressing start switches between punches and kicks. After about two months of practice I became quite good at it and could hold my own even against 6-button users. Of course I bought a 6-button pad shortly afterwards and never really looked back but I was kinda hoping to recreate the old style with the BIG6 for nostalgia's sake. It's almost impossible, tho, because even if you hit the right spot, chances are that the flat button doesn't register it.

Can't comment on using the pads on any other machine than Genny, bought the 9-pin standard joystick version.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I agree with you about the mode button, it's placed where the right index finger sits and is easily accidentally triggered during play.

Hell I had completely forgot that difference between the original and the USB version. The USB has L & R shoulder buttons, so the mode button on a Genesis pad is the R button on the USB.

The USB has a teeny tiny flat square mode/select button (along with the home button) dead center on the inside of the bottom crescent of the pad. It's bad enough they're in a place you're not used to, but them being so small and flat it's virtually impossible to find them unless you actually look at the controller.