Best emulators (multiple consoles)

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So I'm on a journey to work through some of my backlog this year and attempt to complete 50 games. I would like to stream/record some of these gameplay sessions, but i currently don't have the extra funds to get a framemiester (or like device) to capture my older consoles. So I'm just going to emulate stuff.
Since its been a very very long time since I've played with emulators. What are some of the better options out there?

Mind you I am using a PC that i have put custom firmware on the video card so i can display the PC on my PVM. Right now its just being used as a groovyMAME set up. But would like to run emulators for older consoles as well TG16,PCE,MD,SNES, and Sega CD to name a few.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So I'm on a journey to work through some of my backlog this year and attempt to complete 50 games. I would like to stream/record some of these gameplay sessions, but i currently don't have the extra funds to get a framemiester (or like device) to capture my older consoles.

So don't do it.

What will you be contributing if you do?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
So don't do it.

What will you be contributing if you do?

I enjoy communicating with friends as I stream content. I do like going back and watching what i have played. Friends enjoy watching it. I hope to branch out, and maybe expand into do more game related things via stream or youtube, and this is just a first step.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I enjoy communicating with friends as I stream content.

No ones paying attention on the other end though. Your friends are fucking their lady friends while you stream.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Bizhawk for NES/Genesis/TG16 (PCE)/SNES. Make sure you select the BSNES compatibility core for SNES after you've loaded a SNES game (only has to be done once) otherwise it defaults to Snes9x.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
all this streaming shit isn't worth it, especially not with 18 subs.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I say go for it, these days it's easy to stream and as long as your computer isn't something puny like a netbook you should be able to play a retro console via emulation and stream it in decent quality. Dunno what all the hostility here is for. STFU NEWB!!!?

Anyway, I follow a lot of retro streamers personally, some who use emulators and some who use authentic hardware. I personally don't care which they're playing from as long as they're fun to watch. Our very own BBH has a really entertaining weekly MAME stream where he plays randomly selected games from the whole MAME arcade catalogue, with stuff like that emulators still have their niche even though capturing in nice quality is possible.

MAME emulates consoles and classic computers these days (it's no longer MAME and MESS as separate programs) so it might be a good starting point if you want to play arcade stuff in the first place. Otherwise there's also Retroarch and Mednafen, I haven't messed with either on PC but I know they're pretty well regarded and handle multiple consoles.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I mean you could just not go on Twitch if it's that bothersome. IDK

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks like another TopTierWanker has appeared although it seems under the radar, perhaps due to a lack of obliviousness unlike others... Streaming your games is such a fucking joke.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
shots fired indeed.
Thanks for all the info DanAdamKOF and Pasky

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Judging by your motives and your avatar ripped from your own YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzmumc7WnSHN-k1d8rj6Q_A), I'd say you're a worthless YouTube hipster who would be better off posting somewhere else. Maybe a sub-reddit somewhere.

200.gif

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Whatever happened to playing games for personal gain? Shouldn't that be enough? I understand recording super plays, 1CC runs, no death runs, speed runs, and anything that involves recording skill and prowess in any given game. Anything other than that it's just a whole load of BS. There's already a horde of shitheads casually reviewing games, doing the "let's play" crap, shitty jokes, shitty commentary, there's just no end to the crap, to each their own of curse, do what makes you happy but do we really need more metal jesus hidden gem copy cats?