Best EEPROM Programmer for neo Geo / other arcade stuff?

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I recently came into possession of a lot of broken mvs carts. Some of these definitely have damaged roms. I was wondering if anyone had reccomensarions for an eeprom programmer to work on with neo Geo stuff? Also how do you know what type of ic to buy to program certain roms? Thanks.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
One I have seen several people recommend is the Top 3000. I personally have a Xeltek 610P, but I think the Top 3000 would cover your needs.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Wellon VP-598 is my recommendation for an entry-level programmer that can reliably program large capacity 42-pin EPROMs.

As for the types of EPROMs, it depends on the game and the specific ROM you're replacing. Early games use smaller EPROMs than the later games.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Wellon VP-598 is my recommendation for an entry-level programmer that can reliably program large capacity 42-pin EPROMs.

As for the types of EPROMs, it depends on the game and the specific ROM you're replacing. Early games use smaller EPROMs than the later games.
Does the VP-598 do the pin continuity check before the read? I did not even know that was a thing until I upgraded from my crappy old GQ-4X. I used to have problems with unreliable reads and rights from the GQ-4X. The Xeltek does a pin continuity check which has saved me from several bad reads and writes.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Does the VP-598 do the pin continuity check before the read? I did not even know that was a thing until I upgraded from my crappy old GQ-4X. I used to have problems with unreliable reads and rights from the GQ-4X. The Xeltek does a pin continuity check which has saved me from several bad reads and writes.
I'd be shocked if it didn't but good question. I know my top3000 and top2049(rip) did.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I use the old GQ-X4 and I not too long ago picked up a TL866II PLUS to see what that is about.
The cheap ones do the job..
BB

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I use the old GQ-X4 and I not too long ago picked up a TL866II PLUS to see what that is about.
The cheap ones do the job..
BB
TL866II is good enough for most hobby use, but I tend to recommend programmers that natively handle 42 pin chips or people get in trouble. I mainly use my TL866 for the Logic IC checks (think 74LS374 etc) which it looks like the VP-598 does as well. As much as I swear by a TOP3000 I don't think topwin (the software) has that feature.