Ascii or Hori?

Hide

Banned
Guys, I know this is not really NEO related and I don't think that I need to be told by someone as I'm sure I'll get attention of the masses here.

Ascii or Hori for you?

ANY information pertaining to joysticks/pads made by them are greatly appreciated.

I said INFORMATION meaning durability, performance, quality.

Ever owned a Dreamcast or PS1/2 Ascii FT/FT2 Pad before? How did it work? Ever died on you?

ALSO, what joystick do you use on your PS2, DC, Saturn, etc.

Hori? Ascii? X-Arcade? Mas? Pelican? Anything else?

Alright, which is your MOST RELIABLE and FAVOURITE joystick as of current?

I'm not good at sentence structuring so I really really hope that this post isn't that hard to read.

Thanks guys...

BTW, Leave a reply here before you go play that new SVC cart of yours!

Ciao~

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Personally, I think ASCII.

The first not-official pad I bought for my PlayStation was a Hori.

Within months it was broken.

I'm using a Hori stick right now for my PS2, I really like it, and it works great, but I don't trust it at all in terms of durability.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
Had a bad experience with an ascii pad back in the day for my Super Famicom. Shit just gave me problems after 3 months but everyone I know that's bought an ascii pad after that has had little or no problems with ascii . Unlucky I guess...

I say go with the ascii pad... it has a better track record. Good luck with your decision.

Hide

Banned
kshira said:
Had a bad experience with an ascii pad back in the day for my Super Famicom. Shit just gave me problems after 3 months but everyone I know that's bought an ascii pad after that has had little or no problems with ascii . Unlucky I guess...

I say go with the ascii pad... it has a better track record. Good luck with your decision.

I bought 2 Dreamcast FT PADS but I returned it the next day due to a problem where I have to press harder than usual for a direction to be registered. I do not know why this happens but then again maybe I'm just not destined for an Ascii pad which everyone seems to love. (Especially the DC Ascii Pads)

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Hide said:
Guys, I know this is not really NEO related and I don't think that I need to be told by someone as I'm sure I'll get attention of the masses here.

Ascii or Hori for you?

ANY information pertaining to joysticks/pads made by them are greatly appreciated.

I said INFORMATION meaning durability, performance, quality.

Ever owned a Dreamcast or PS1/2 Ascii FT/FT2 Pad before? How did it work? Ever died on you?

ALSO, what joystick do you use on your PS2, DC, Saturn, etc.

Hori? Ascii? X-Arcade? Mas? Pelican? Anything else?

Alright, which is your MOST RELIABLE and FAVOURITE joystick as of current?

I'm not good at sentence structuring so I really really hope that this post isn't that hard to read.

Thanks guys...

BTW, Leave a reply here before you go play that new SVC cart of yours!

Ciao~

Personally I would go for HORI.I use one with my AES and it is sublime.
With my SFC I have a JB.King stick which is an excellent,albeit heavy stick that is very precise.
I find ASCII sticks to be imprecise and don't tend to last very long.Plus all ASCII products seem to have been designed by a gang of punch drunk boss-eyed monkeys with glaucoma cataracts.

BIG

sony fanboy
Personally,I prefer Hori over most brand.

The Hori Joysticks are awesome.They're built to last,and handles like a dream.I cannot speak on the Hori pads,as I've never own one.

The same can be said about Ascii.

Ascii products are okay.They are not as well-made as Hori stuff,but they are decent,IMO.

Devilman78

Camel Slug
In my experience, Hori is much better for sticks. Ascii for pads.

Although the new Hori and Ascii products are not as good as the older products IMO.

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
Seems like Hori would be the way to go. Good luck in your choice

:) .

Last edited:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Depends

Pre-millenium: Hori

after 2000: Ascii

The Hori sticks for Saturn and the Neo kicked ass.

The Ascii sticks for the DC and the PSX/2 kick ass.

and that's all I use.

Crissaegrim

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have yet to try any Ascii stuff but I just sold my old Neo Hori stick on Ebay. it had a rusted base place and the plastic on the top was melted, but it always worked flawlessly! it was a bit looser than the Regular Neo sticks which, for me, worked better for non-fighting games.

I have had two different Mas sticks and was totally blown away by them. I kind of suck at fighters with sticks instead of pads, but these were jsut awsome. The build quality is the best. Plus it's all real arcade parts.

I want to try to get one of the playstation Ascii pads (Capcom Vs. SNK versions) and use it with my PS > Neo converter. Does anyone else do this? How does it work? the regular PS controller is killing my hands.

OMG I just typed---- PS > Neo. I didn't mean it like that!

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
I have a Hori PSX stick and it is freakin Golden. I've used Ascii sticks before and they are great as well. Both companies are miles beyond any other 3rd party controllers.

TeamShake

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I know this is a super old thread, but I had bought an ASCII Dreamcast FT pad and took it apart to clean. I was surprised to see that the rubber contact piece for the d-pad was made by Hori since I always assumed they were rival companies. Didn't think they would be producing parts for each others products or maybe they are secretly the same company?