Art of Fighting 2 - Why did I put this game off?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Man you make it look to easy, I can't even get to geese yet but hot damn I love this game, it's fun to try and figure out how to beat each opponent. I also have AoF3 on the way, but I know it's not gonna be so quintessential SNK.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Art of Fighting 3 suffered the same reception that Street Fighter III did --people were turned off by the lack of familiar characters. Not only that, but the new characters in Art of Fighting 3 are so uninspired. Wyler almost seems like he's a parody of the most bland, generic bosses that have ever been in a video game. Jin is a forgettable ninja who replaced the badass Eiji. Mr. Big has been replaced by Karman Cole, who looks like a president of a bank (real threatening). Lenny is basically a Blue Mary with a shitty haircut and a gay whip. Don't even get me started on Wang.

And I had to look up the actual names to those shitty characters because I'd forgotten all about them.

But man, Art of Fighting 3 is fucking beautiful. So much time and effort was spent into animating all those awful characters that I can't help but wonder how it could have been better spent with awesome designs.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
You love Wang. Admit it.
Fine, I'm addicted :keke:

Art of Fighting 3 suffered the same reception that Street Fighter III did --people were turned off by the lack of familiar characters. Not only that, but the new characters in Art of Fighting 3 are so uninspired. Wyler almost seems like he's a parody of the most bland, generic bosses that have ever been in a video game. Jin is a forgettable ninja who replaced the badass Eiji. Mr. Big has been replaced by Karman Cole, who looks like a president of a bank (real threatening). Lenny is basically a Blue Mary with a shitty haircut and a gay whip. Don't even get me started on Wang.

And I had to look up the actual names to those shitty characters because I'd forgotten all about them.

But man, Art of Fighting 3 is fucking beautiful. So much time and effort was spent into animating all those awful characters that I can't help but wonder how it could have been better spent with awesome designs.

Exactly, for me if you love fighters then AoF3 is just one of those marvels you need to have in the stable. At least theres the old standbys but you're right it does suffer from third strike and it's lame roster.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I've played Fatal Fury but never reached the last battle with Geese Howard... I do love Fatal Fury as well :D
How can you not reach Geese Howard on the first Fatal Fury? All of the fighters before Geese are much easier than him.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
How can you not reach Geese Howard on the first Fatal Fury? All of the fighters before Geese are much easier than him.

I struggle when I get to Raiden :) he just whoops me :) I tend to only use 1 credit on games though, maybe if I continued a few times I'd get to Geese Howard...

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I love this game so much I am going to have a box full of Aof2 home carts buried with me when i die :)

A highly underrated title in the Neo lineup.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Lol, ok I need to learn that move! Thanks for posting :)

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Sorry for the necro in advance but I just discovered playing this at 130% speed on the NGCD and its incredible.
Its like a whole new game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

To me, Art of fighting 3 looks like it's an unfinished game. They could have made it a lot better by adding a few more characters.
A lot of SNK games (like AOF and KOF) have characters that fight in suits (Karman Cole, King, Geese) or jeans (Terry Bogard). Why would anyone in real life fight in a suit, or jeans (unless they were in a situation where they were forced to)? If you're doing martial arts, it's hard to do the high kicks if you're wearing tight-fitting clothes like jeans. But SNK was trying to make their games and characters more classy by dressing them well, I suppose.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
To me, Art of fighting 3 looks like it's an unfinished game. They could have made it a lot better by adding a few more characters.
A lot of SNK games (like AOF and KOF) have characters that fight in suits (Karman Cole, King, Geese) or jeans (Terry Bogard). Why would anyone in real life fight in a suit, or jeans (unless they were in a situation where they were forced to)? If you're doing martial arts, it's hard to do the high kicks if you're wearing tight-fitting clothes like jeans. But SNK was trying to make their games and characters more classy by dressing them well, I suppose.

Suit pants are actually amazing comfortable for performing kicks in. Doing a fast reverse hooking kicking or full rotation turning kick, with a proper pair of shoes on, feels great too. I can only imagine the actually damage they would do on connection.

Also, Van Damme did 85%+ of his fancy shit in Jeans and CAT boots. Weird choice but, he managed it...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I just put AoF2 into the MVS this weekend...jesus...I see what you guys mean be difficult AI...holy shit. I got my ass handed to me by Yuri for about 20 credits.

Made it up to the the final match before Geese doing cheap moves with Mr. Big but couldnt get passed the older shirtless karate guy...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I just put AoF2 into the MVS this weekend...jesus...I see what you guys mean be difficult AI...holy shit. I got my ass handed to me by Yuri for about 20 credits.

Made it up to the the final match before Geese doing cheap moves with Mr. Big but couldnt get passed the older shirtless karate guy...
You mean Takuma (Mr. Karate)?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Never knew Australia had a 15 minute delay window on forum responses.

Handy to know...

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
I prefer Aof2 too.

But:

The whole Art of Fighting series needs more girls in the roster. :glee: