Anyone know where I can buy lightscribe discs

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Anyone know where I can buy lightscribe dvd/cd minus the rapage prices as the result of the media being discontinued.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was going to say Amazon, but I just checked the prices and holy shit, it's over $1 a disc now. It may be worth doing what I do now. I picked up an inexpensive Canon inkjet printer that can do inkjet printable CDs, the discs aren't that expensive if you order them online. The ink isn't cheap, but I still can put a disc together for less than what a lightscribe disc seems to go for now.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Agreed with GohanX.

I got an MFC-J870DW for $90 that does disc printing.
You can easily buy a full set of ink for $20, and quality Taiyo Yuden printable discs are $20~ for 100.

Lightscribe disc labels fade over time due to light exposure. My label printed discs are still very vivid up to 9 months later. Also, color > B&W

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Speaking of Taiyos, stock up now they will be going out of production soon as well. They are the only discs that work in some of my old drives.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If I had know things would go down like this I would have stockpiled more disks, I use lightscribe frequently. I am heart broken that at the very minimum the disks are not being manufactured anymore. My PC is built around media duplication with 4 lightscribe drive. I am rationing what I have left now.

I really don't want to have to resort to using inkjet disks as ink is beyond insanely expensive especially considering the volume of disk I create. There's also the variable of the printer itself being cooperative meaning blemishes due to print heads and such.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Could be worse. At least you didn't back LabelFlash instead.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
lol, my old computer has a LabelFlash drive in it. I never did find any media for it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That same spindle would have probably been $30 max a few months ago.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
They're on back order but I still ordered 600, hopefully everything will work out and they will ship.

Since you're in Torrance, might want to go hit up the Frys in person down on Rosecrans. That store usually has dusty stock in back if you ask. I've found a few outdated tapes there I needed for some archival purposes at work years ago. It's kind of like the old-tech junk yard in there, and I love them for that.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Really that's sad.
I've got two computers that support it but all I've ever seen for it was a 10 pack of disks for $15+, so I've never bothered with it.
Read it takes forever to etch that black & white image as well.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Since you're in Torrance, might want to go hit up the Frys in person down on Rosecrans. That store usually has dusty stock in back if you ask. I've found a few outdated tapes there I needed for some archival purposes at work years ago. It's kind of like the old-tech junk yard in there, and I love them for that.

Yeah I am heading there after work tomorrow especially since Fry's only 5 minutes from there.

Really that's sad.
I've got two computers that support it but all I've ever seen for it was a 10 pack of disks for $15+, so I've never bothered with it.
Read it takes forever to etch that black & white image as well.

It takes 28 minutes which is half the reason I have four lightscribe drives.

The alternative is inkjet. I don't know about your printer but the one I own (Canon) eats up ink like candy, I print in black and it still freckin uses color. Even when I don't use it at all the OEM cartridges will dry out, leak or the print heads will clog requiring me to waste ink to clear them. It does have the ability to print to dvd/cd but it is not affordable for me to use this feature.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How many do you need? I probably have some lying around but I get the feeling you need a large quantity from a supplier.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
How many do you need? I probably have some lying around but I get the feeling you need a large quantity from a supplier.

As many as I can get my hands on. The only reason I stopped at 600 with Fry's is because I am a pessimist and don't believe the order will be filled.