Anyone getting an Xbox One S?

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Update, it appears that the HDMI-in doesn't support 4k pass through?? I do have a few 4K channels, but through the One S my DirecTv box says my "TV" doesn't support 4K. Really silly, I hope they patch this.

Just curious, how many 4K channels are actually available at this time?

(I don't have a 4K TV right now, just curious as to a how well this new format is actually supported at this point)

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm guessing that the PS3 can go down in the basement with the rest of my newer-gen shit. For the first time in a really long time I have a PC that I can play semi-new games on!
yeah but you cant buy them physical on PC :)

Once all was said and done threw in DOA5 and plugged in my joystick. I will say that the 4k scaling looks great, and graphics aside, I'd cringe looking at an unscaled 1080p PS4 game after playing on the One S. For this same reason I always bought multiplat titles on 360 over PS3 for the 1080p upscaling.

how is the 360 better if it cant do 1080p and PS3 was the one upscalling to 1080p dueto HDMI output, or do i confuse something?

I highly doubt an Xbox One game @900p upscalled to 4K looks better than 1080p on PS4.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

I'm pretty sure your being sarcastic... (But just in case) I'm pretty sure most PC gamers don't care for physical releases... That's kinda why Steam is so popular, and a vast majority of titles don't get a physical release.

Then again, at least on this forum, I might be in the minority since I don't feel the need to have any physical media to collect dust and add clutter. Having a shelf full of boxed games, CD's, movies and whatnot doesn't appeal to me at all.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

how is the 360 better if it cant do 1080p and PS3 was the one upscalling to 1080p dueto HDMI output, or do i confuse something?

I highly doubt an Xbox One game @900p upscalled to 4K looks better than 1080p on PS4.

PS3 couldn't upscale OS3 titles, just PS1/2 in the earlier models. Most games were stuck at 720 unless they were one of the uber special 1080p releases. Xbox 360 upscale nearly all, if not all games to 1080p.

And DOA5 is 1080p native on the xbox one. Anyway, unless your TV has a brilliant scaler, which mine doesn't, feeding it anything less than native looks subpar. That includes 1080p being "meh" on a lot of 4k displays. I'll take 900p scaled to 4k over 1080p not scaled to 4k any day of the week though. Just my opinion. Don't pull out fangirl BS, because I am the first to admit that the PS4 was my console of choice.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure your being sarcastic... (But just in case) I'm pretty sure most PC gamers don't care for physical releases... That's kinda why Steam is so popular, and a vast majority of titles don't get a physical release.

Then again, at least on this forum, I might be in the minority since I don't feel the need to have any physical media to collect dust and add clutter. Having a shelf full of boxed games, CD's, movies and whatnot doesn't appeal to me at all.

I go out of my way to order international physical PC releases. Pretty happy to have old those old worthless Japanese Sega Saturn games these days... Just sayin'.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I watched the watchmen on UltraHD. Not bad. Noticeable resolution different, but not breathtaking at the same time as I'm used to 4k content already. What I did notice was the HDR (something I haven't experienced before.) It seems like a worthy upgrade to Blu-ray, and I welcome it. It doesn't seem like as big of a jump from DVD to 1080p blu-ray, but as resolutions keep getting higher and higher there were bound to be diminishing returns. I see it more as like an elite SACD or DVD-Audio like option.

As for BC, I don't get it. I DLed MOTW, but it won't let me play without a 360 account? Why sell it to me then? Aren't Xbox live accounts essentially universal?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
iFixit to save the day:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbo...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

5pN1ZjMxAjELxiAF.huge

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also, Interesting video from Digital Foundry:

Looks like contrary to what MS is saying, the new S console does in fact have slightly faster frame rates in some games. About 7% higher framerates in some places. And less frame tearing and stuttering.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Looks like contrary to what MS is saying, the new S console does in fact have slightly faster frame rates in some games. About 7% higher framerates in some places. And less frame tearing and stuttering.

This is great news. The differences in the video are alot bigger than I was expecting. Not enough to me personally to upgrade, but bodes well for the Scorpio - it might be able to remain stable at the frame-rate caps in some XB1 titles. If so, I'll be getting one.

outlaw_moon

Marked Wolf
y4fguUM.jpg

It's a competition prize offered by Microsoft DE.....

that's a nice looking console.

I do plan on getting into the current generation gaming and I'm thinking about getting the Xbox One S. Perhaps wait for a price cut though.