Anyone ever have Media Mail inspected by USPS?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
To this day, I have never understood what the USPS definition of the word "media" is in terms of Media Mail. Clearly it doesn't match the dictionary definition of media, which would normally include things like movies, video games, music and so on. Maybe they pronounce "media" differently, or it's actually "medium" like what you mold sculptures out of or channel spirits with.

Their definition (like their intent) is not wrong; just antiquated.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
To this day, I have never understood what the USPS definition of the word "media" is in terms of Media Mail. Clearly it doesn't match the dictionary definition of media, which would normally include things like movies, video games, music and so on. Maybe they pronounce "media" differently, or it's actually "medium" like what you mold sculptures out of or channel spirits with.

Read the link I posted earlier.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I ship media mail at least once a year when my family give my kids books for Christmas, it's really the most efficient way to ship them because they are super heavy. But yeah, the postal system treats those boxes like shit so I need to pack very very well.

Supposedly since audio/video recordings are acceptable it is the cheapest way to ship vinyl and laserdiscs.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
damn it! it feels like they keep changing the policy on games. I remember years ago you could ship damn near anything media. Then later they adjusted to only like Discs Tapes and Books but no Carts.

Every once in a while i'll check to see if its changed but i havent in a couple of years. Man i just sent some games media mail a little over a week ago. luckily they didnt inspect it.

Good to know its off the table.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I recently media shipped about 20 pounds of Reel to Reel tapes.

Being such a big box, the person at the counter asked me what they were. I answered "Prerecorded magnetic audio tapes".
Then she asked "You mean like CD's?".
I'm like "Yup"

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Another trick when selling empty metal Audio/Film reels is to wind a bit of prerecorded material onto it so that it will qualify as media mail.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Still haven't heard or seen anything regarding the package, guess it was just lost in the mail!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Still haven't heard or seen anything regarding the package, guess it was just lost in the mail!

If it's coming back to you, it can take over a month.

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
I send a lot of records via Media mail. Never been told of them being inspected. That being said, if you ship something via Media mail and it isn't classified as media mail they will usually ask the buyer to pay the difference.

Might be worth having them ask their local PO if there is a package waiting for them.

But yea, if its Returned to sender, it could take about a month.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I recently media shipped about 20 pounds of Reel to Reel tapes.

Being such a big box, the person at the counter asked me what they were. I answered "Prerecorded magnetic audio tapes".
Then she asked "You mean like CD's?".
I'm like "Yup"

I am really curious just what The Fish does to make money

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I ship media mail at least once a year when my family give my kids books for Christmas, it's really the most efficient way to ship them because they are super heavy. But yeah, the postal system treats those boxes like shit so I need to pack very very well.

Supposedly since audio/video recordings are acceptable it is the cheapest way to ship vinyl and laserdiscs.

VHS as well. I shipped a bunch to Stacks. Asked the post office clerk if it was ok and he said yes.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've shipped plenty media mail (always media) and I've had results that range from "fast as first class" quick to "I think someone is hiking it there in their backpack" slow.

But I live in Chicago. Even Priority shows up whenever it damn well pleases. Sometimes 2-3 days. Sometimes media mail slow. We're fucked in this city

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I had a package delivered yesterday that showed up like this
IMG_9090_1.jpg
Note the single masking tape broken at the top.

When I take it inside I noticed that the bottom was open too
IMG_9091.jpg
There was a single piece of half inch blue tape holding the bottom together that failed.

I asked the seller and he didnt ship it like this. Seems that someone opened it up for inspection and didn't seal it back up. Either that or someone wanted to steal stuff but saw the controllers inside and decided not to. Good thing the contents were packed snug so they didn't fall out.