Anyone else here not a big fan of Ikaruga?

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I never purchased Ikaruga when it came out on the Dreamcast.

I got around to buying it when it came out on the Gamecube. The concept drew me towards it because the idea of absorbing bullets by changing the color of the ship was a different direction from the regular shooter. I spent a bit of time with it, but I was never really able to get into it the same way I was able to with other shooters from Cave, or various other shooters. I've like Treasure's stuff especially Sin & Punishment...never played Radiant Silvergun, nor do I ever plan on it since I think the price is way too high for it.

But, it's not that I think Ikaruga is a bad game by any means, I just don't find much of a draw to it. It actually feels a bit bland...I don't care much for the level design...the dot eating got to be rather annoying for me...I prefer to just go through a stage without having to deal with it. I know it does add another dimension to a genre that really hasn't done a great deal to explore outside of the general formula, but I'm not sure it was really a great idea. There are plenty here who love the title, but how many aren't exactly impressed/thrilled with it?

I was thinking about getting this off of XBLA just because it's a shooter and I would like to see more on there. But I can't really bring myself to get it because I know I probably won't play it a great deal after the initial few hours if ever after that. I much would have rather have seen Cave stuff go on XBLA, but that won't be happening because MS has to be gay about it. Radiant Silvergun would have been a more welcome addition since I haven't played it but I don't think Treasure has any plans to re-release that ever.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I had the DC version a few years ago, and I just couldn't get into the gameplay back then. Now that it's out for XBLA, I decided to give it a second chance. I still think it's the most overrated shmup ever, but I do enjoy the gameplay more now than I did before. In terms of gameplay alone, I still prefer shmups like Shikigami no Shiro 3 and Trigger Heart Exelica.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I pretty much feel the same way. It's not a bad game, just not my style. I prefer more of a traditional old school shooter. I have to admit that the Ikaruga soundtrack is great though.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I absolutely love the art direction, but I find the game too frustrating to play the way Treasure wants it to be played. As far as atmosphere and style, the game is beautiful. When I break out of the chaining patterns, it just feels wrong and I end up putting it down. I definitely do not have sufficient free time to devote to even becoming mediocre at chaining in anything past the second level.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I'm not a huge huge fan of the show, i like psyvaiar 2 better, though in the hunt is still my all time top shooter.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
It's not the 2nd coming, but still a great game that's unique.

I'm glad we have it, but I'm also glad more shooters didn't copy the idea.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
I personally love it - but it definitely has a different feel than any other shooter.

I mean the point is very different - the point here is to do specific, perfect movements/ chaining with very small room for variation. Granted, a certain type of player goes for a high score in every shooter, but in this game that is the only point.

I think the lack of variation to accomplish the objective of the game (reach very high scores/ chains) is what turns most people off (I think most people's negative opinions of the game stems from this at least, whether they admit it or not).

Know what I mean?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Looks beautiful, plays smoothly, presentation and music are tops but the chain system stinks IMO, if it had a more traditional score system, Ikaruga would be in my top-10 list but that puzzler stuff ruins it for me.