Anybody else feel like handhelds should be inferior?

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Hey everyone,
For the longest time, Ive played several different handhelds, from the vintage gameboy, to my favorite, the GG, the GBA SP,and currently the NGPC and my precious GG. Ive loved all these portables, called them "juniors", and frankly, i really believe they should have stayed that way, and i believe thats the reason i couldnt get into my DS. Does anybody else feel this way? Anybody else feel handhelds were better left in the smaller, quieter, inferior, but still, very fun, state they have so long been in?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Mushiki said:
Nintendo does.

:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

Seriously, I'd take the original post a step further. I think all handhelds have been JUNK, Nintendo ones included (maybe even in particular as all the gameboy systems were horrible). None of them have been worth playing for more than a few minutes. So far no one has come up with a compelling reason for me to waste my time playing any of them. Up to now haven't seen anything to change that but I haven't checked out a PSP yet.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Haha, that's funny, especially since more GameBoys have been sold in the world than any other CONSOLE ever. Not saying the GameBoy or GBA or DS or any of them is perfect, but they are all better hardware and more playable that the PS2. I get bored of console games pretty fast. For me I'd rather have a great RPG like the Minish Cap or a Strat RPG like FFTactics Advance on the go, with a compelling story and great gameplay. If you're a diehard Neo fan still, in the face of current gen gaming, but you think that graphics are the key to enjoying a game (so you'd pick the PSP over the DS/GBA combo), then you're an idiot.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
chimpmeister said:
:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

Seriously, I'd take the original post a step further. I think all handhelds have been JUNK, Nintendo ones included (maybe even in particular as all the gameboy systems were horrible). None of them have been worth playing for more than a few minutes. So far no one has come up with a compelling reason for me to waste my time playing any of them. Up to now haven't seen anything to change that but I haven't checked out a PSP yet.

What do you play?

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Haha, that's funny, especially since more GameBoys have been sold in the world than any other CONSOLE ever.

Funny thing is, the "PlayStation2 has sold over 80 Million units worldwide" argument seems not to be "valid" when we talk about system wars.

D-Lite said:
If you're a diehard Neo fan still, in the face of current gen gaming, but you think that graphics are the key to enjoying a game (so you'd pick the PSP over the DS/GBA combo), then you're an idiot.

First. All Neo-Geo ports are released on PlayStation2.

Also, sacrificing graphics doesn't instantly mean Gameplay quality x10. And how do you know that the DS can beat the PSP in terms of quality gameplay is pure magic, especially considering that both systems have about 10 games released, and that the DS is seriously lacking games at the moment.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Mushiki said:
Funny thing is, the "PlayStation2 has sold over 80 Million units worldwide" argument seems not to be "valid" when we talk about system wars.

First. All Neo-Geo ports are released on PlayStation2.

Also, sacrificing graphics doesn't instantly mean Gameplay quality x10. And how do you know that the DS can beat the PSP in terms of quality gameplay is pure magic, especially considering that both systems have about 10 games released, and that the DS is seriously lacking games at the moment.

I don't believe you.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
TonK said:
What do you play?

I play no handheld systems at all, I can tell you that. I still have a Nomad packed away somewhere but it never gets played, and I dumped the horrible GBA a long time ago and all the games with it, for next to nothing at a local gamestore. Almost bought a GBA/SP but thankfully I didn't fall for the hype (as I did with the regular GBA) after I saw it in action.

These days I play mostly XBox and PS2 games, with the occasional DC and Saturn game. Thats it. My Neo collection has been in storage for quite some time, so its only the (legal) ROMZ for me.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
D-Lite said:
Haha, that's funny, especially since more GameBoys have been sold in the world than any other CONSOLE ever. Not saying the GameBoy or GBA or DS or any of them is perfect, but they are all better hardware and more playable that the PS2. I get bored of console games pretty fast. For me I'd rather have a great RPG like the Minish Cap or a Strat RPG like FFTactics Advance on the go, with a compelling story and great gameplay. If you're a diehard Neo fan still, in the face of current gen gaming, but you think that graphics are the key to enjoying a game (so you'd pick the PSP over the DS/GBA combo), then you're an idiot.

So because they sold millions of them, that automatically makes them good? Then the Neo is garbage, right? And the PS2 is fantastic too by that logic? :conf:

I've recently begun to get a little back into RPGs, hadn't played them for years. Now I'm starting from scratch with Baldurs Gate on the XBox, and have BG2, Champions of Norrath, and Dungeons and Dragons Heroes in line for when I finish BG. And I'll get the 2nd CoN game later when the price drops, no rush on that.

I never said graphics are the key to enjoying a game either. In fact I love all the old classic arcade games, particularly 2D shooters, and tons of Saturn games. But again that doesn't mean that I have to like the GB, GBC, GBA, GBA/SP, and now DS. They're all poorly designed systems IMO, the DS is the best of the lot but that isn't saying much at all. Sure, millions of sheep buy them (mostly kids though who just want something portable to play), but I don't see how that automatically makes any of them good. :oh_no:

PlayerOne

Marked Wolf
I love handhelds, and I love the 2D, so yes, I kind of agree that they shouldn't be as powerful as a full console.

The GBA is about perfect, from my point of view. I have more GBA games than any other machine bar the NGPC (which I collect, and therefore have bought games I wouldn't normally buy) and probably the PC, which has had rather longer to accumulate them. I can easily see more powerful handhelds offering me less that I want to buy.

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
It's the advent to better technolagy...

Ive loved all these portables, called them "juniors", and frankly, i really believe they should have stayed that way, and i believe thats the reason i couldnt get into my DS. Does anybody else feel this way?

I think it's simply the advent of better technology... when the original GB came out... I never saw it as a "junior" but simply a portable gaming machine with lack of colour... but the graphics were respectable in relation to the NES IMO.

Technology will always improve... so your only hope on seeing "junior" machines is to stick with the older handhelds.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
chimpmeister said:
Sure, millions of sheep buy them, but I don't see how that automatically makes any of them good. :oh_no:

PlayStation 2 logic there...