Any other MVS cart other than KOF not working with MVS to AES converter?

Gladson

n00b
So after getting my first AES and a JGO MVS to AES converter I started getting some MVS carts as the AES ones are way too expensive. One of them is KOF 98 and I couldn't get it to work. It goes as far as the "Giga Power" screen and then...nothing.

At first I thought I had a bad cart but after some research I found some threads from other people with the same issue and decided to dust off my very very old consolized MVS. KOF 98 works like a charm.

Is there any other MVS cart know to be not working with MVS to AES adapters? Is KOF98 the only one that behaves like that? Since I'm gathering those MVS carts mainly to use with the AES, they would be kinda useless for me.

By the way, that old consolized MVS I mentioned before has composite output only, some power issues, a very old unibios (2.3 as far as I remember) so I pretty much don't use it anymore.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don’t know about that particular converter, but like Smokey said MSX is a big one for not working. Another thing to consider is you might need to upgrade your psu. The converter plus a higher meg game may be enough to make it not work.

Also you may have done it already but make sure everything is clean. The converter adds another set of slots to cause problems. I just had an “untested” Samurai Shodown cart that seemed to be bad even after cleaning, turned out I just needed to clean the cart better.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
1: converters suck.
2: why are you buying an AES to play MVS games?
3: your MVS can’t be much older than your AES.

When things get “old and yucky” you fix them. Fix the MVS.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Metal Slug X and some copies of KOF 98 are the two that use that copy protection that won't work on non-5v systems with a converter. The Daedalus converter has a switch that's specifically for it. Does the furrtek one have auto-switching logic for this?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Mine is a Furrtek and doesn’t, but it’s the original Indiegogo release. I don’t know about later revisions.

Gladson

n00b
1: converters suck.
2: why are you buying an AES to play MVS games?
3: your MVS can’t be much older than your AES.

When things get “old and yucky” you fix them. Fix the MVS.
1. Why? Just because?

2. I'm not buying it just to play MVS games. I'm doing it to play Neo Geo games, I'll try and get AES versions whenever possible but some games are just way too expensive so the MVS ones will do the work. Ninja Master's is one of my favorite fighting games ever but I'm never paying $3,000 for an original AES version when I cay get the MVS cart for $100 and have the exact same results when combining it to the converter.

3. The MVS itself isn't older but the consolization process it. To get it "up to date" I would have to get a new unibios, a new RGB out board, fix the shell (the guy who made it used a Neo Geo CD shell and superglued it all over so I would have to destroy it in order to open it), I'm just too lazy for that. If all MVS carts work on the AES with the exception of KOF 98 and MSX I can totally live with that.

Last edited:

Gladson

n00b
I don’t know about that particular converter, but like Smokey said MSX is a big one for not working. Another thing to consider is you might need to upgrade your psu. The converter plus a higher meg game may be enough to make it not work.

Also you may have done it already but make sure everything is clean. The converter adds another set of slots to cause problems. I just had an “untested” Samurai Shodown cart that seemed to be bad even after cleaning, turned out I just needed to clean the cart better.
My AES is a 3-6 one so I suppose it already has the "better" PSU, right? Also, I believe Garou is just as big as KOF 98 and that MVS cart works just fine with the AES+converter so I suppose it's handling big games well.

The JGO converter probably lacks that switch for non-5v systems so I suppose I'm out of luck. But anyway, if only two games won't work with my setup then I think it's a fair trade-off, I was afraid there would be dozens of games that wouldn't work.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My AES is a 3-6 one so I suppose it already has the "better" PSU, right? Also, I believe Garou is just as big as KOF 98 and that MVS cart works just fine with the AES+converter so I suppose it's handling big games well.
Opposite actually. The 5v supplies that don't have problems with converters are the original. Most later systems use the 9/10v supplies, but not always. Just check the bottom of your system and your supply to find out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A stock Neo 9v psu is 1A iirc. That can been just barely enough in some situations. I use a Genesis 1 adapter so it has a other more overhead.

But Neo Alec is probably right, I didn’t know kof 98 had the same copy protection as MSX. I just got in a 98 cart today and I’ll have to try it.